Complaint Review: Underwater Adventures Short Hills NJ

• Updated: Tue, August 13, 2013

• Reported By: Annoyed Customer — Hopatcong New Jersey
Underwater Adventures Short Hills NJ
508 Millburn Avenue Short Hills, New Jersey USA

Underwater Adventures Short Hills NJ Paul Mickel-Ripoff Artist Major Ripoff Center-Stay Away From This Place! Short Hills New Jersey

This is a dive shop but they should be in the fishing business because they have perfected the bait-and-switch. First of all, their diving trip costs are exhorbitant. They were asking for $945 for a 4 night trip to Grand Cayman (not including airfare ofcourse). So I swallowed hard and said no problem, I'll go ahead book tickets because I was travelling w/ my husband. The were like..not so fast!You have to pay $585 for non-divers. What??? Apparently the $945 is based on double occupancy of a room assuming both people signed up for the dives with them, and if I did not have a diving partner, I would either have to pay $585 extra, or they would find someone else to share my room. Now why would I want to share my room with some stranger? Secondly, they were staying at this threadbare place called Sunset House, where rooms typically go for about $150 a night (rates are same for single OR couple AND with children under 10, hotel doesnt charge extra as long as you don't ask for extra bed) A 2 tank boat dive is $100 at the best PADI dive shops in the caymans, so $600 for hotel + $200 for 2 days of diving while my husband does his own thing (which hopefully doesn't include flirting with local girls/tourists) comes to $800..so Underwater Adventures is charging me double of what I can get if I book by myself. Isn't the point of going in a group and working around their schedule that you get bulk discounts and trip works out cheaper and not DOUBLE? Now for the fine print (**drumroll**) the amount you pay Underwater Adventures for the trip does not even include equipment rental/tanks etc. Now if their price tag included the airfare, it would be an OK deal..$300 for airfare, $300 for the hotel accomodation ($600 split with whichever stranger they are going to bunk me with), and the rest $350 for the three 2 tank dives..and Underwater Adventures makes a healthy cut because afterall they are not in this for charity..but $950 to share a bed with some potential axe murderer in a budget hotel AND pay for airfare AND pay for equipment rental..NO THANKS.. I shopped around on the internet and found that we could stay at luxury resorts like Grand Cayman Marriot / Westin Casuarina etc for just $200 PER NIGHT...go figure..

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/13/2013 04:15 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Underwater-Adventures-Short-Hills-NJ/Short-Hills-New-Jersey-07078/Underwater-Adventures-Short-Hills-NJ-Paul-Mickel-Ripoff-Artist-Major-Ripoff-Center-Stay-A-1075319. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Underwater Adventures Short Hills NJ