Complaint Review: Union Hospital Elkton, MD

• Updated: Sat, October 26, 2013

• Reported By: KB1985 — Maryland
Union Hospital Elkton, MD
106 Bow Street Elkton, MD Elkton, Maryland USA

Union Hospital Elkton, MD Union Hospital, Union Elkton MD, Elkton Hospital, Performs unnecessary and dangerous procedures without consent Elkton Maryland

I gave birth at Union Hospital on March 9th 2012. I had a detailed birth plan which outlined my desire to have every single procedure and the risks explained to me and my explicit consent obtained PRIOR to having them performed on my body. Minutes, maybe seconds after I birthed my daughter... Khadija Awan stated "I am going to deliver your placenta now" ....I prepared to push and she reached her entire arm into my vagina past my excruciating 3rd degree tear and began manually removing my placenta. I Immediately went into shock...my new baby was laying on a table being suctioned next to me, possibly not breathing correctly and Khadija was elbow deep in my uterus.. I shut down - It was over in minutes. My Placenta came out whole, there were no pieces left behind, there was no hemorrhage risk. There was NO medical reason to perform this procedure. She did this without my consent.I was left unable to stand, sit, lie down, walk, - I was in so much pain I could barely move, barely breathe for over 7 weeks. Worst of all I was so traumatized by the event that I could not attend my 6 week check up. I could not bring myself to seek help from any doctor. I would like to file a formal complaint and I am considering my options legally as this does constitute battery and I was penetrated without my consent. Manual removal carries the risk of damage to the genital tract and of puerperal infection. It also increases the likelihood of bacterial contamination in the uterine cavity. It also can cause uterine scarring this could have left me unable to have more children - I will not know until I try for another baby. I obtained my medical records which state my placenta was delivered spontaneously so my records were falsified too.

I was also told I was not allowed to take photos of my birth because the nurse did not want to be in pictures, forced to change my own bloody sheets, was denied pain relief for hours. It took over 10 hours for someone to even show me how to care for my 3rd degree tear and I received no lactation support or information even though I was exclusively breastfeeding and asking for help.

I am appalled by the lack of  evidence based care at Union Hospital,

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/03/2013 05:28 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Union-Hospital-Elkton-MD/Elkton-Maryland-21921/Union-Hospital-Elkton-MD-Union-Hospital-Union-Elkton-MD-Elkton-Hospital-Performs-unn-1089109. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Union Hospital Elkton, MD