Complaint Review: United Credit Consultants

• Updated: Thu, October 17, 2013

• Reported By: jmcdunn — Champlin Minnesota
United Credit Consultants
14480 Ewing Ave S Ste 103 Burnsville, Minnesota USA

United Credit Consultants UCC Joseph McGlynn and UCC failed to achieve the promised results and refused to refund my money Burnsville Minnesota

*Consumer Comment: Sounds like my experience

*Author of original report: I paid UCC $1260 and did not receive the promised results

*Author of original report: I paid UCC $1260 of $1300 and did not receive the promised results

*UPDATE Employee: Has not completed payment of services

After hearing his radio show and seeing his company was BBB accredited, I met with the owner, Joseph McGlynn in Dec 2012 to discuss credit repair.  I told Joe I wanted my credit cleaned up to buy a home in the summer but I had various foreclosures and charge offs on my credit report.  I handed him my credit card to use to pull my credit card which he said costs $1...he reviewed it for a moment.  Joe then said this would be a relatively easy fix but that it would take several months.  I hesitated that his services would work to which he responded something to the effect "the credit agencies have to remove any negative info that can't be verified and they can't verify any of it"

I was still hesitant but Joe being the smooth talker and salesman that he is then he said his company has an 86% deletion rate and has a money back gurantee of the goals in the "client goal worksheet are not achieved.  It was this guarantee that made me agree to sign up and pay $1300 ($130/mo) for his services over 10 months.  I signed a few things and  completed a goal worksheet that stated my primary goal was to be in a position to be approved for a house purchase in 5-8 months.  We both signed it and away I went thninking all would be good.

Several weeks later I noticed a charge for $15 on my visa and another for $140 soon after.  I contacted UCC and discovered that they had signed me up for credit monitoring with privacy guard (they forgot to mention this) and the $140 charge was the $130 monthly payment plus a $10 fee(also forgot to mention this).  I contacted Joe about this and he responded basically saying I could cancel the credit monitoring if I choose and that he would split the $10 fee with me so my monthly bill would be $135 and he would send me some giftcards to a local furniture store.  The billing stayed at $140 and I never received those giftcards.  This misrepresentation from the start had me a little worried that I made a mistake but Joe reassured me and said to let them do their job.

For the next 10 months I let them do their job.  I had approximately 6 items out of 40 that were either deleted or repaired. 2 of these were me doing a pay-for-delete with collection accounts. The actual results I achieved from the efforts of United Credit Consultants was pitiful and nowhere the 86% that Joe bragged about in our first meeting.  Over the summer time I contacted many lenders and was turned down for a new loan because of all the foreclosures and old charge offs still reporting.

In September 2013, after paying UCC over $1200 over a 9 months period I had had enough.  I refused to pay them another dime and sent them a letter and email wanting a refund for failing to achieve the promised results.  After a month of pestering them and filling out forms and providing a current credit report Joe finanlly responded.  He basically said I had to pay the the remaining balance and give them another two months to work my file.  I said the goal timeframe was over and I was tired of the lack of results and communication.  He them said "asking for a refund before the entire amount is paid is like trying to return a shirt before paying for it"  Ummm Ok Joe...I guess thats true if the shirt you are returning is only a sleeve but I paid 95% of a whole shirt...nice try.  He also stated that the negative accounts that still remain must have been verified.  What!!!  What about the claim that they can't verify anything??  He then said my refund request was void.

This company over promises and under delivers.  The guarantee is a sham as if you read the fine print its next to impossible to get a refund.  They do not intend to refund anyones money but love to pitch that part in the selling of services.  Use them with caution as I am out $1200 but intend to sue them.  They don't do anything special that someone can't do themselves and achieve similar or better results.  I certainly have learned a leason.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/17/2013 02:24 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/United-Credit-Consultants/Burnsville-Minnesota-55306/United-Credit-Consultants-UCC-Joseph-McGlynn-and-UCC-failed-to-achieve-the-promised-resul-1092688. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on United Credit Consultants

Sounds like my experience

AUTHOR: Dylan33 - ()

This is the almost exactly the same experience that my wife and I had.  We are discussing a lawsuit as well, and would like to be kept in the loop as to how yours is going.

I paid UCC $1260 and did not receive the promised results

AUTHOR: jmcdunn - ()

I will respond to UUC employees assersions from each papragraph.

1) "Client did not open the required 2 new credit cards within the first 6 weeks" Fact- I opened one new credit card with US bank within the first month.  I have email records from Joe where he said to "hold off" for awhile on getting the second card.  I never heard back from him on this.

2) "Client opened an auto loan in the summer which was not approved by advisor". Fact- I discussed getting an auto loan with Joe during our initial consultation and he said no problem.  I took out a $15k auto loan in June 2013.

3) "Client added 5 new inquiries that were not approved by UCC"  Fact- Any new inquries were the result of applying for the credit card and auto loan described above.  I'm not sure how to obtain new credit without inquries?

4) "The goal worksheet was just a guidline for our processors, the specific goal was to obtain a 680 Fico"  Fact- The day I met with Joe and signed up for services I already had a Fico in the mid to upper 600's.  I made it very clear that the reason I needed help was that I had foreclosures and charge offs on my credit that were preventing me from getting a home loan...I wanted to buy a new home in 5-6 months.  The goal worksheet clearly states that the client wants to qualify for an FHA or conventional loan in 5-8 months.  I guess if this is just a guidline then the amount I agreed to pay for services was just a guidline too!

5) "Client has not paid for services" Fact- I have paid UCC $1260 to date of an agreed $1300 if goals were met...they were not.  I feel under the circumstances and because of the early non-disclosure of items that we should be more than square and I am entitled to a refund of the $1260 I paid.

6) "We have dozens of emails, calls and notes explaining to client what needs to be done"  Fact- There has been very little communication initiated by UCC during the entire process.  The only calls I received were several that stated letters had been sent to the credit bureaus.  I initiated most of the contact and rarely received a response back from Joe.  I received quick responses from Tara when I initiated the refund process.  I sent her all the required paperwork (refund checklist and a copy of my tri-merge privacy guard credit report) on Sept 16th.  Several weeks later She advised me that the refund decision was in Joes hands.

7) "Client needs to contact our customer service department to discuss what needs to be done to get a refund" Fact- I provided Tara all the documention you requested.  On the refund form it clearly states that if a client is using credit monitoring( which I was) that a current copy (30 days or less) or that report can be used.  I provided Tara with that information immediately.

The bottom line here is there was a lack of communication and sometimes extremely slow response.  I have not been satisfied with the companys results and they clearly did not meet my goals as outlined on the goal worksheet.  Aside from paying $1260 and not the full $1300 I have met all of my obligations.  I am asking UCC to do the right thing and honor my refund request.  We all know I didn't get what I paid for.

I paid UCC $1260 of $1300 and did not receive the promised results

AUTHOR: jmcdunn - ()

I will respond to UCC (Mr. McGlynns) assertions from each paragraph.

Assertion 1) "Client did not open the required 2 new credit cards within the first six weeks"  Fact- I opened one new credit card with US Bank within the first six weeks.  I have email records where I ask Joe abount opening another card and he said "hold off for a while".  I never heard back from him on this

Assertion 2) "Client opened an Auto loan in the summer which was not approved by advisor" Fact- I discussed getting a new car loan with Joe in our meeting and he said no problem.  I took out a $15k car loan in June.

Assertion 3) "Client added 5 new inquiries that were not approved by UCC" Fact- I obtained a new Credit Card and auto loan.  How can I shop for, and obtain new credit without a few "inquiries?  Moot point

Assertion 4) "The goal worksheet that was signed by both parties is a guidline for the processors.  The specific goal was to obtain a 680+ credit score" Fact- The day I met with Joe and signed up for services I already had a Fico score in the mid to upper 600's so how was that my goal?  I made it very clear that I wanted to buy a new house but was having issues because of numerous old foreclosures and charge offs preventing me from getting a loan.  It says very clearly on the worksheet in the comments section that the client wants to qualify for an FHA or conventiional loan in 5-8 months.  I will attach a photo of this form.

Assertion 5) "Client has not paid UCC the full amount in order to qualify for a refund" Fact- I have paid UCC $1260 to date of an agreed $1300 (with a money back guarantee).  I feel under the circumstances and because of the early mis-communication that we should be square.  It seems silly to pay another $40 in order to get a full refund when they could just base the refund on whats been paid.  If thats really what it comes down to then I'll pay $40 to get back $1300...just put that in writing.  I will walk down to your office with a $40 check and pick up mine.

Assertion 6) "We have dozens of emails, calls, and notes explaining to client what needs to be done" Fact- There has been very little communication initiated by UCC during the entire process.  The only calls I received were to tell me a round of letters had been sent and the website had been updated.  I initiated most of the contact by email but had a hard time getting a response from Joe at times.  Tara responded very quickly to my requests.  She did call me in Sept about the remaining balance...this is when I explained my frustration and initiated the refund process.  I sent her the required paperwork (refund request checklist and a current copy of my tri-merge credit report with privacy guard) on Sept 16th 2013.

Assertion 7) "Client needs to contact our customer service department to discuss what needs to be done and provide a current tri-merge report" Fact- I provided Tara with a current copy of my privacy guard tri-merge credit report on September 16th 2013 along with refund checklist.  On the form (which I will attach) it clearly states that if the client was enrolled with online credit monitoring that this report can be used as long as it's less that 30 days old.  I provided her with this information.

The bottom line here is there was obviously a lack of communication and miscommunication from both sides and I accept some responsibility for that as its a two way street.  Aside from not paying the full $1300 I have met all of my obligations and I am asking UCC to do the right thing and honor my refund request.

Has not completed payment of services

AUTHOR: Customer Service, United Credit Consultants - ()

This client enrolled with UCC DEC. 11TH OF 2012. In the agreement that was signed by both parties. It was agreed to by both parties to open and active 2 credit cards to continue new positive established credit. Client failed to do so within the 6 week timeline given. Reason for a 6 week timeline was because client wanted to get credit score to a specific goal, therefor, the steps that were needed to be taken would then needed to be specific. Also, within the signed agreement that was signed by Jason and his advisor, was to not at any point through out the program, apply for any additional credit options or add any new inquires without being advised or receive approval before doing so. Client added 5 new inquires during service and was not approved by any UCC team member to do so which would then drop ones score. Client added a brand new auto loan in the late summer. Client was advised to do so no later then spring. Knowing this new loan would effect the score and doing a new auto loan in the spring would give 4-5 months or positive payment history to off set the new auto loan hit that the report took. Client added this new loan 5 months late and his negatively impacted his score and report.

wHAT WAS PLACED INTO THE CLIENT GOAL WORKSHEET, WHICH IS A GUIDELINE USED FOR OUR PROCESSING TEAM AND STAFF DURING THE SERVICE TO UNDERSTAND EACH CLIENTS NEEDS THROUGHOUT. THE GOALS WERE TO OBTAIN A SCORE OF AT LEAST 680+. UCC HAS ADVISED MR. ,CDUNN TO RECEIVE A TRUE FICO TRI MERGE CREDIT REPORT TO SHOW THAT HIS SCORE IS NOT INFACT A 680. THIS STEP FOR ANY REFUND IS REQUIRED.

THE MAJOR ISSUE WITH THIS SPECIFIC SITUATION IS THAT MR. MCDUNN ASKED FOR , AND WAS GRANTED A PAYMENT PLAN TO PAY FOR HIS SPECIFIC CREDIT SERVICE COST. IN THE CONTRACT, CLIENT MUST HAVE SERVICE PAYMENT COMPLETED AND PAID PRIOR TO A REFUND REQUEST.MR. MCDUNN;S ADVISOR HAS INFORMED MR. MCDUNN OF THIS. CLIENT HAS NOT COMPLETED HIS AGREED PAYMENT OBLIGATION WITH UCC.

UCC AND OUR TEAM WANT TO WORK WITH MR. MCDUNN. WE UNDERSTAND NOT EVERY SITUATION IS A PERFECT ONE, WE HAVE OFFERED EXTENDED MONTHS TO OFFSET HIS UNREST. MR. MCDUNN HAS UNFORTUNATELY VIOLATED MULTIPLE RULES WITHIN THE REFUND POLICY AND HAS NOT CURRENTLY COMPLETED HIS AGREED PAYMENTS TO UCC. OUR TEAM HAS DOZENS OF NOTES, EMAILS AND CALL RECORDS TRYING TO EXPLAIN THIS TO HIM. TO HAVE SUCH SPECIFIC GOALS, ONE WOULD THINK THE STEPS THAT ARE NEEDED TO BE TAKEN WOULD THEN BE DETAILED AND SPECIFIC. SO MUCH OF THE ADVISING AND COACHING IS PLACED IN THE HANDS OF OUR CLIENTS. WE HELP THOUSANDS A YEAR. IT IS UNFORTUNATE THAT IN A SERVICE INDUSTRY, WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH THESE TYPES OF SITUATIONS. WE ARE MORE THEN HAPPY AND WILLING TO HELP MR. MCDUNN. HE UNDERSTANDS WITH IS NEEDED TO BE COMPLETED. WE WOULD NEED A FULL REPORT TO ACCURATELY DEPICT HIS INVESTIGATION SUCCESS, PAID OF THE FINAL AMOUNT OWED FOR SERVICES. AGREEMENT OF REFUND TERMS BEING THAT VIOLATIONS WERE MADE DURING AGREED SERVICES TOGETHER BY MR MCDUNN. MR MCDUNN, PLEASE CONTACT OUR CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPT. TO WORK OUT THE FINAL DETAILS OF YOUR REFUND. OUR TEAM, WILL BREAK DOWN THESE STEPS THAT ARE NEEDED IN MORE DETAIL IF NEEDED TO GET YOU ON YOUR PATH TO YOUR REQUEST. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

slave