Complaint Review: United Federal Credit Union

• Updated: Thu, March 06, 2014

• Reported By: Angela H — Caledonia Michigan
United Federal Credit Union
12540 Riley St Holland, Michigan USA

United Federal Credit Union United Federal Credit Union thieves/scammers. Holland Michigan

I opened a motorcycle loan with United Federal Credit Union in July of 2009. In April of 2010 they added CPI insurance to the loan as they did not feel I had insurance on the bike. I found this out as my orginal payments were 358.00/ month, after they added CPI the montly payment went up to 394.00. I then called to find out how to correct this as I did have insurance. They sent me information on how to prove insurance. I provided all documentation needed. A few weeks later I followed up with a call to customer service to ensure they recieved the forms. I was told they had and everything was corrected. I asked for the number of the insurance agancy used so I could be sure they had cancelled it. I was given the number and called them which the had confirmed it had been cancelled. At that point I felt secure all was ok. We had paid $400 per month on the loan for approx 2 months while it was all being worked out so after it was all "fixed" we decided to continue to pay $400 per month to pay the loan off faster.

Through the years I called asking for a pay off amt and each time questioned why it was so much. The reps always ensured the amounts were right and with the way they explainded everything I felt I was just thinking wrong.

This past year we decided to pay $450.00 per month to again pay the loan off faster. Over the past 12 months we paid $450/ month thinking it was being applied to the principal. I called customer service over this past weekend to inquire pay off amt and was told it was $5400+ at this point really questioning how can it still be so much. I spoke to Ruth in customer service and questioned this. She said she wasnt sure and would call me back on Monday. I was told to look at the account online and was given instructions on how to do so. I gave the info to my  husband and he set it up. Once FINALLY set up the monthly amount showed $394/month. Monday Ruth called and said she still had no answers and would call later. On Tuesday we decided to go to the local Holland branch and look into this.

Once we arrived at the branch we sat down with Juan Mata and explained everything in detail. He looked up the acct and said the monthly payment was $358. My husband said no this weekend I looked at it and it said $394. We then started digging thru the acct and found that someone had changed the payments from $394 back to $358 over the weekend. After a lot of digging we found that they lied to me 46 months ago and never changed the payments back. Juan said he would do some digging and get back to us.

On Wednesay 3/5/14 I recieved a call from my husband saying Ruth from customer service called and said they see they made a mistake but that we to made a mistake my not catching them and they would ony reimburse 60 days back as thats their policy. I called Ruth and left a voice mail demanding a call back. I then came home from work early to go back to the Holland branch to speak to Juan. Juan stated he understands and he agrees with us but can only do so much. He said he will make some calls and call us on Thursday.

This morning Juan called and said "I have some good news, if you continue to pay the $450/ month as you have been your loan will be paid off in 14 months instead of 16 months. We also gave you a credit of $25 for last months late fee." He then went on to say it was policy to only reimburse up to 60 days as we didn't catch their mistake.

Even tho I sent in the proper docs to remove the CPI insurance they added and then followed it up with phone calls to ensure they fixed everything and was told it was this is still not "catching them" I guess. This company pocketed $1656 extra over the past 46 months and also charged us interest on this $1656 over the past 46 months. They admit fault but is saying too bad for you! They are scammers and thieves. I have done a lot of banking with them over the past 7 yrs with many loans that I have paid off in full and they are NOT for the people!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/06/2014 11:38 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/United-Federal-Credit-Union/Holland-Michigan-49424/United-Federal-Credit-Union-United-Federal-Credit-Union-thievesscammers-Holland-Michiga-1128743. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on United Federal Credit Union