Complaint Review: United States Van Lines

• Updated: Sun, December 16, 2012

• Reported By: Max — Wausau Wisconsin United States of America
United States Van Lines
401 E. Las Olas Blvd Ft. Lauderdale, Florida United States of America

United States Van Lines A COMPANY WHICH SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO BE IN BUSINESS ,yes, I'm shouting, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

First:  the only reason I'm giving this company a rating of one star is that there is no way to give them no stars.  In my opinion they should not even be in business!  Second: a word of warning...when you are moved by a moving company be sure to have at least two additional people  in the house with you on the day the movers pack you so they are closely supervised.  One person cannot be in all rooms during the packing and - at least in my case - the United States Van Lines personnel didn't give two hoots about my personal property!

In my move, when the movers arrived the packers used 14 wardrobe boxes instead of individually wrapping and packing items as a truly professional moving company's employees would have done. Clearly they were more interested in speeding along in their jobs than having any respect for their customer.  And because I was the only one there to check on them I did not know they were using wardrobe cartons and not wrapping my items.  They THREW things together in cartons without any regard whatsoever of what they were - in one carton I opened when I unpacked, for instance, they put in a basketball, an vintage child's record player, a dozen vinyl record albums, a large pasta serving bowl and matching dishes, a snowboard helmet and an antique wood piano stool. NONE of the items were wrapped  at all!   That is just one of the nightmares that I found when I unpacked. At the point of origin the supervisor was kidding around with the packers and told them that an old, upright piano had to be loaded, AFTER I had told the supervisor that the piano was NOT going.  It was only because I heard cursing coming from the basement, and found two movers and the piano on the first stair coming up from the basement, that I realized what was happening.  When I asked the supervisor what in the world was going on he said, 'I was just fooling with the guys'.  Are you frickin' KIDDING ME???

Another example: there was a very large,very heavy, vintage, art deco bar that I had told the supervisor was not to go....the movers put it on the truck anyhow becaue the supervisor obiously wasn't supervising them - and when I pointed out I had said it was NOT to go and told them they'd have to take it off the truck they complained!  And then when it was brought back in, it was left in the  middle of a room and the mirror on it had come loose.  When the crew was about to leave and I pointed out that they had completely missed packing the hallway closet the supervisor's comment was, and I quote: 'there is no room on the truck for this stuff.'.  I ended up having to find room in my already-packed car to take the items! When I finally took delivery out of storage and unpacked my things there was tremendous damage of broken items due to them not being wrapped and thrown  together in wardrobe cartons.  I called the company repeatedly and my calls were not returned by the claims department.  I finally insisted on being given a specific name of someone to call, and I spoke with someone named Alan Levithan, who apologized profusely, assured me he would handle my claim, and who gave me his direct extension.

During the course of about several months I called him and left FIVE voice mail messages, none of which were ever returned.  During the course of my move, and while trying to settle the issues relating to my move, I was also caring for my 83 year old mother who had been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer which was the reason for my move.  This is something which I had told Mr. Levithan in the first - and only - conversation I had with him and he had assured me that he would take care of the claim.  Finally,  it was all just too much to have to handle with this company while  dealing with my mother's illness and I just gave up. I warn you:  DO NOT hire this company if you value your possessions!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/16/2012 03:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/United-States-Van-Lines/Ft-Lauderdale-Florida-/United-States-Van-Lines-A-COMPANY-WHICH-SHOULD-NOT-BE-ALLOWED-TO-BE-IN-BUSINESS-yes-Im-982946. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on United States Van Lines