Complaint Review: Universe Express

• Updated: Wed, August 14, 2013

• Reported By: fruitful — Fayetteville North Carolina
Universe Express
626 16th Street Cardlstadt, New Jersey USA

Universe Express and Nicole Patrick and all others PROPERTY IS BEING HELD HOSTAGE Cardlstadt New Jersey

I had contacted Universe Express at least two weeks prior to my move in July 2013. I had initially told the sales person that our budget was around $900-$950.00 for a move from NYC to NC.

We went over the dimensions of the storage room that the items were being held. I told the salesperson that I would be willing to pay extra in the beginning in case the contents were over more than I had stated. I finally agreed upon an electronically signed estimate of $ 1, 348.00.

I was going to be out of town when they came to pick up the items so I had my son to be at the storage unit just to open, wait until the items were in the truck and close the unit. My son had no signatory rights, or never had any contact whatsoever with Universe Express.

However he was told by the movers who also spoke another language that he would have to sign the Bill of Lading and Freight Bill just to indicate that the description of goods were what they had placed on the truck.

My son told them if there was any increase that he was not responsible to sign and that he was only signing for the description of the merchandise being shipped.

Within two weeks of the move to NC I had called to get a date for my delivery. They stated that they would give me a window during the following week for delivery. I waited....they never called. I then called them for a delivery for the following week. they also stated a date within a time frame....THEY NEVER CALLED.

I then again called the third week and they stated on a Monday evening that my shipment would be going that night and that I should expect delivery within two days. At the end of the call the dispatch person asked me did I know the balance of what was supposed to be paid? I told him that my balance was approximately $539.00. He quickly informed me that I was in error and that the balance was now $5008.00. The bill went up to $4,221.00, (this without any notice from them to me).

I was so shocked. They never called me when the items were being loaded on the trcuk to state that there was any deviation from the estimated electronically signed agreement, and if in fact did I agree to the new charges.

My son did not have any authority to do that. He was never a designated signatory represenattive and had no prior knowledge of ths transaction except to open the storage room and close it after they packed. He was tricked into believing that he was only signing for the description of items being placed on the truck.

Nicole Patrick, a representative of Univers Express blantantly told me that if I didn't have the $5008.00 in a postal money order the next day that they would not deliver my goods and they i would start incurring fees and my items would be placed in storage.

They never sent me any rules and regulations on the type of storage, the billing fees, the length of time before the sell the items, or any other information rules and regulations pertaining to this move. This informaion should have been given to me prior to the move.

MY ITEMS ARE BEING HELD HOSTAGE. MANY OF MY ITEMS ARE ITEMS THAT MY NONPROFIT IS GOING TO USE FOR A CULINARY LIBRARY ESPECIALLY FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE HYPERTENSION AND DIABETES.

IF OUR BUDGET WAS ONLY $900-950.00 and we agreed to $1,348.00,and paid upfront fees of $787.00, how do we accumulate another $5008.00 for this move without any notice from Universe Express until the day before the move?

If there is anyone out there who can help us...please advise.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/14/2013 06:16 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Universe-Express/Cardlstadt-New-Jersey-07072/Universe-Express-and-Nicole-Patrick-and-all-others-PROPERTY-IS-BEING-HELD-HOSTAGE-Cardl-1075705. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Universe Express