Complaint Review: unknown

unknown
na, Select State/Province United States of America

unknown cold call na, Other

*Consumer Comment: comment

I just received a phone call from 77713130070080 a male voice with an accent said that i have been unknowingly downloading files onto my computer and that he worked for a company that deals with windows. I assume that he wanted to gain my information to gain access to my computer. I told him that my Boyfriend was into internet coding and that I have never received such calls before, and I fear for the elderly that do not know any better. It has been advised to me to contact authorities. I assume this is an international caller. I would hate to see the results of this obvious scam.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/15/2013 01:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/unknown/-na-Select-StateProvince-/unknown-cold-call-na-Other-1035063. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on unknown

AUTHOR: Jeanski - ()

I almost fell for this the first time, but stopped when he said he wanted to remotely access my computer. After some research I found a website that explains this scam:

When they tell you to run the "eventvwr", it'll bring up a screen that shows all the errors your computer made while online. Apparently, this is normal computer behavior and nothing to be alarmed about. But the average person doesn't know that, and when you see thousands of errors you panic and that's what they count on.

So the last time they called, I let the guy do his spiel. When I brought up the event viewer he asked me how many errors I had (there were 17,000) and I told him 2.  He said that wasn't possible, so I "read" him the screen data, and kept insisting there were only 2 errors listed.

I let him keep talking (in that heavy Indian accent you can barely understand) because I figured it was better to let him waste his time talking to me than to someone who might fall for it.  So I wasted a good bit of his time and finally told him I was on to his scam and hung up.

I hate these people.