Complaint Review: Urban Home

• Submitted: Mon, July 12, 2010
  • Updated: Mon, July 26, 2010

• Reported By: Jaydubya — Studio City California U.S.A.
Urban Home
15301 Ventura Blvd Suite P23 Sherman Oaks, California United States of America

Urban Home Urban Home should be called "Urban Fraud" Sherman Oaks, California

*General Comment: Off of a vinyl cow, maybe?

*General Comment: Just wait...

Urban Home should be called Urban Fraud. When you walk in it looks like a sparse low priced version of Pottery Barn, until you find something you want to buy. What I wanted and have been seeking for years is a chair, preferably a recliner small enough to fit in my apartment bedroom.

My girlfriend and I stop in on our way to a movie in the mall. since we have a few minutes to kill. I pick up the Urban Home Scam Flyer and see a "Swinton Leather Recliner" next to a picture of a brown leather chair. An Urban Scam Associate points us to the chair. It has a paper sign next to it "Leather Recliner" It's small- just what I wanted. I sit in it and it works. The Leather is a little stiff but I figure it will soften up, and for $300! - you can t beat that.

We make a snap decision to buy the chair. At the counter, I ask the cashier, if the chair is really leather. [continued below]....
..... She say yes it is, there may be a few vinyl panels on the back and some other spots. It will take a week to ship the chair 60 miles from Oxnard. She tells me about the restocking fee if I return it. 20% after 10 days, 10% even if I change my mind before I walk out of the store. That should have been enough red flags. They get paid even if I never see the box. Still most merchants under promise and over deliver in my experience so I don't worry.

The chair arrives at the the store on day 9. (So returning the chair to Urban Fraud will cost 20% for sure.) I rent a truck and come pick it up the next day (I had other stuff to move also) Take the chair home and it sits for a day cuz I'm a busy man. I unpack and assemble the chair and see on the box "PVC/Leather Recliner" I can't remember what PVC is and the topic leaves my mind.

The next day. I have some time to sit in my chair and read. When I start to notice a smell, a combination like chocolate and gasoline. The smell lingers all day and I realize it's the Urban Home/Urban Fraud chair. I inspect the chair and realize that it is vinyl. ALL VINYL. NO LEATHER AT ALL.

I call the store. They Remind me of their return policy (They need the box too) and I suggest that I shouldn't have to pay a restocking fee when the chair isn't as advertised. I still have a copy of the flyer. I go to the store. The "manager" Who looked about 20, found a piece of paper that said that some leather items were actually "bi-cast leather" which means pieces of leather held together with vinyl. (Generally considered fraud by consumer advocates.) We argue, they give me another number to call in Oxnard where I can talk to a voice mail until I'm dead.

I send an angry email to the website. Someone writes back to tell me the chair is "bonded leather" which is particles of leather mixed into the vinyl. (even more fraudulent) She also wanted to know why I was so mad. I point out that the chair I ordered was advertised as "Leather" not bi-cast or bonded Vinyl BS, and I shouldn't be charged a restocking fee for their fraud, and they should come pick it up. She said that I had had the chair too long and could not return it anyway. I sent a long expletive filled response.

I still have the chair. The arm rest have already lost their cushion so you can feel the wood against your elbows, however it doesn't stink anymore.

Urban Fraud has much nice looking cheap knock off furniture that they will gladly lie about so you think you're getting a great deal. Don't fall for it. When they say it solid wood, it's particle board. When they say leather, it's vinyl. if you like particle board and vinyl, the price is average. Urban Home is a scam.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/12/2010 04:57 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Urban-Home/Sherman-Oaks-California-91403/Urban-Home-Urban-Home-should-be-called-Urban-Fraud-Sherman-Oaks-California-622423. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Urban Home

#1 General Comment

Off of a vinyl cow, maybe?

AUTHOR: Adolph - (USA)

I recently had occasion to address a similar issue on an item purchased, listed as leather.  I was not able to make my case of the item NOT being (animal hide) leather when I found this definition on Dictionary.com,

to wit: pertaining to, made of, or resembling leather: leather processing; leather upholstery. Thats one adjective applicable to vinyl-resembling leather. I received a plastic cell phone case that the seller assured me it was constructed of leather.

If it looks like leather, I guess that makes it leather. At least in definition.

#2 General Comment

Just wait...

AUTHOR: Edgeman - (U.S.A.)

If that chair really was bicast leather then wait a few years when the polyurethane layer begins to separate from the "leather". This material doesn't tend to last over the long term.