Complaint Review: US Bank

*Consumer Comment: Holds...

*Author of original report: Holiday Gas Hold Funds

*Author of original report: Taking Advantage

*Consumer Comment: Get your spending habits under control

And here I thought it wouldn't happen again. First Wells Fargo then and now US Bank. You know when you first open a account, it's always cool to listen to it all when there only providing what the company ask's of the representative, then after they sucker you in, they do has they wish and provide false information because during the night time, your accounts are being overdrawn till the morning or when you check your account like I did the last couple months.

Being on limited budget from from disiability social security I or I should say my wife and I find ourselves money short. Last month service charges started appearing on our account, $35.00 at a time and sometimes multiple. So each morning and several times a day and into the night I would check online my account balances. Mmm no changes, then suddenly out of the blue, it's morning and there's changes, now I see the charges reveresed of the $35.00...

So unto next month I sell my pc to make a deposit from home being notified of a charge but it wasn't listed until the check cleared I saw a .50 cent charge and only $200.00 was released then the remaining funds were finally released. Here's the thing, yep there's the charges being automatically taken out of the account, nothing cleared checking my account has I do everyday several times a day not seeing anything yet then all of a sudden I am not only seeing service charges I see I went way over my budget, what in the world happened?

I had been told I had account protection that's why there was the savings account and I didn't have to worry about being overdrafted because of that fact. However, the bank check card allowed me to go over my budget and didn't stop. Now besides the service charges all the other charges are coming out of our this month money from our checks.

So this time I go into the bank and demand a explaination I was referred to the bank manager, she does a print out and says in short, nothing can be done, you overdrew your account. I told her yeah eveything was fine through out the night and cleared this morning even my deposit went in this morning. And how do you explain the service charges and then all of a sudden there reveresed.

She didn't have a answer. So since this was the first time I ever asked anything from the bank, then please reverese those charges. Nope can't do that, they cleared already. Yeah just like you take out the largest priced item which took all my $300.00 deposit then tack on 2 more just for the heck of it. Yeah I am seeing your pattern. Now your taking the remaining funds from my this months automatic deposits.

So I told her this sounds like something I read about meaning excessive service charges, obviously she denied that. So I left we'll see who wins.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/05/2013 07:40 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/US-Bank/Bloomington-Minnesota-55420/US-Bank-Excessive-Service-Bank-Charges-Bloomington-Minnesota-1064756. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on US Bank

In Closing

This report is closed...

Agreement of problom resolved.

But a explaination was very typical of a bank.

Kinda funny though, no overdrafts since report.

$6.95 service charge because account below a $1000 this also concluded.

In Your Situation - There Is Only One Solution

AUTHOR: Jim - ()

Unfortunately, it's not a solution you're gong to like and that solution is to use your debit card only when you go to the ATM to pull money out.  The holds you're experiencing come from a lack of experience using a debit card, as one person pointed out to you.  That puts you amongst a large portion of our population - most people don't use one correctly.  But in your situation, the debit card use hurts you even more because the amount you have to live on, is very limited.  Placing a hold on any available funds can possibly put you in a bad situation, and the possibility of cascading overdrafts is higher when you run on a very thin balance.  This isn't a US Bank or Wells or BofA, or any bank issue.  This is a debit card problem as you no doubt know now.

I recommend you not use a debit card when the available balance in their account drops below $500 at any time in a month.  I understand the inconvenience, but using cash does some pretty positive things to your personal financial situation, including the reevaluation of every expense in your budget.  Again, I'm not saying your not doing this, but when you see the cash actually leaving your pocket, such actions will open your eyes and really make you think twice.

Best of luck to you....

No Holds Barred

AUTHOR: David C - ()

Well I find comsumer comments very amusing, some true some actually good but no consumer comment can relate to the exact nature of my complaint. Yes are close to the answer but not to a solution. However I know more people have experienced service charges by banks and haven't said anything while others have reported it and others are legit.

Pay at the pump option, rule one don't do that, ok, I record my amount at the pump have my receipt and have more money to cover my gas and my next purchases. So I am going to tell my friend now, sorry I have to hold the money till the gas station gets paid first. Then I will return the money to you. Oh crapola, I am going to have a service charge from my bank then. Well tell the bank about it not me. Then there goes my friendship.

By the way the Holiday gas station I went too has a max of $125.00 for filling up.

None the less just another way to get ripped off either from the gas pump or the bank or another business practice that is shared by many. This is wrong and should be considered illegal business practice for any funds at all to be held. I will hold your dog hostage till you pay me then I will release it back to you even though you have those other dogs.

I don't even know why I said anything in the first place but then again, no one cares about poor people or people on disability because were supposedly draining the system. Positively not true at all. I would love to see people who have money in our shoes each and every month. It would give them a whole new outlook on how to spend money so don't sit there and tell me I am not recording my budget or checkbook.

Our account was not to go below zero period from the check card. But the way the representative explained it opening the savings account with the checking we thought cool, if the money is in the savings then fine if not then the card won't work.

It's odd though after a deposit $200.00 available then the next couple days the $100 was made available then the next day our SSA was automatically deposited followed by 3 overcharges leaving us with more service fee's for August and now later this month getting our phone or electricity turned of or disconnected. That's $105.00 the bank took from us and subtracting the highest transaction amount first while this hold from the gas station is being dealt with by the banking system.

And the first time I ever say anything or bring this to the banks attention I am wrong for asking for a reversal of the service charge fee's. And it doesn't matter the time of day or night, US bank runs there computer 24/7 giving no chance for a customer to prove there mistake or make a request or a adjustment on there account.

No Holds Barred

AUTHOR: David C - ()

Regardless of the gas station holding funds is just another way banks represent the customer in a negative way.

There was more then enough money in my account regardless what is in my check register recorded.

That should have been the first cleared transaction but the bank had a slightly different game plan which gave the bank the advantage you say it's my fault especially knowing nothing was reflected on my account till the next morning proving with out a doubt that the bank is at fault mis representing me in there practice from the opening of my account to the present.

This is not the first time US bank has messed up for a customer and this is my first report I made regarding banking practices because I am sick of being ripped off by banks whom seem they can do has they wish or make up there own rules just to please themselves and the money they hold for there brokers.

Then take advantage of the poor guy like me who doesn't understand all the banking logo they use to play with your mind thus making you the customer feel stupid but when in actuallity I know has a customer I will win.

So continue with your consumer comments, when it happens to you then please let me know so I can comment. But I won't comment for one reason only, I have no idea of your problem and I am not about to guess what the law states.

Holds...

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

The reason the gas station "held" your funds is because you used the pay-at-the-pump option.  As such they have no idea how much you are going to pump until you pumpt it.  So they hold a set amount, depending on the gas station this could be anywhere from about $50-$100+.  If you actually tried to pump until you hit this amount you would actually find the pump stops at that held amount.  Now, if you want to avoid this in the future you MUST go inside the gas station and purchase a set amount of gas.  This will avoid this hold and make your management easier.

And while you don't want to hear this..yes as far as the bank is concerned you are at fault because as the account holder you are supposed to be aware of every transaction on your account.    This is why as a person who has limited means..you must be even more vigilant in monitoring your account.

Yes, this does include a Written Register and verifying your deposits on-line before you attempt to spend the money.  Then of course the obvious of not spending more than you have.

If you don't take control over your accounts, you will have this happen again..no matter what bank you go to.  After all think about this.  If you had problems at 1 bank it could be the bank..but 2 banks..you need to look in the mirror as to the person who is at fault because you are obviously not getting it.

Holiday Gas Hold Funds

AUTHOR: David Carlson - ()

After a friend helped me out with my situation, it is concluded that when I got gas at Holiday gas station, the gas station held $53.00 in my bank account therefore resulted in the service charges. Has the couple days passed she saw the same pattern I did but I didn't see the gas being held.

So even though I still think the bank is at fault, the $53.00 was put back after three service charges went through and the remaining $100.00 was deposited after the initial $300.00 I deposited from home with a .50 cent charge.

And still the bank says it's my fault. It's not right for a business Holiday gas station to hold funds then release them later. Which would have been all avoided but again, the bank takes the highest transaction then it multiplies in more service charges when in reality, if the bank would have took the lower two charges I would only have one service charge. But again thanks to Holiday I get the blame even after a deposit the next morning the card still should have been cut off.

So the bank in conclusion says, they cleared the second day not the third day which without a doubt told me the banks and there computers work all night so when the banks open the reps have all the info ready so they don't get blamed for anything. Even if more deposits were done the next morning.

At a bank it never matters what a customer says, because it's the one place the customer is always wrong instead of right.

Taking Advantage

AUTHOR: David Carlson - ()

No it was not being over budget, the fact is, I made a deposit just for those transactions and has far has the card goes,

if I would have known the check card would of continued to charge I would have never gotten the savings account because what good does a savings account if I have only $5.00 in it. If I didn't have the funds the check card should have NEVER gone through!!!! What darn good is overdraft protection if the funds are not there. Has far has I am concerned the bank is at fault. Because I clearly remember the banker guy setting up the overdraft protection saying, if you don't have enough funds the savings will pay for the funds and if you don't have any funds the card will not work.

Besides the fact that every month my wife and I get our deposit. And the deposit was made on the same day again the charges started to appear again. But this time I said something inside the bank and was wrong and because the bank has all the info anyways, they blamed me.

And being ripped off by the bank taking the largest amount first thus leaving the door wide open for more charges, that's just plain wrong and TAKING Advantage.

Get your spending habits under control

AUTHOR: coast - ()

"First Wells Fargo then and now US Bank."

That's because all banks tend to use the same math.

"I see I went way over my budget, what in the world happened?"

That's easy to answer. You failed to maintain a check register so you didn't know your current balance.

"However, the bank check card allowed me to go over my budget and didn't stop."

Now we are at the core of the problem. You are spending more than your available balance. You will continue to pay overdraft penalties until you decide to maintain a current check register and get your spending habits under control. Good luck.