Complaint Review: US Bank

• Submitted: Fri, December 19, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, December 31, 2008

• Reported By:Dublin California
US Bank
7499 Dublin Blvd Dublin, California U.S.A.
  • Phone: 925-556-2100
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

US Bank Cashier's check scam perpetrated by bank Dublin California

*Consumer Suggestion: I don't see the issue

*Consumer Suggestion: The reason for this..

US Bank has several problems (for the customers) regarding Cashier's checks. As of today, I don't think I am finished uncovering the problems.

So far, they are:
1) THEY say they do not have their own account numbers for Cashier's checks. When an individual purchases a cashier's check, it is either paid for in cash, or the funds are withdrawn from his or her account. The funds then go into ANOTHER account to honor the check. Whenever I call the bank and ask about a check I have purchased, they ask ME what their own account number is!

2) Then, THEY DO NOT PUBLISH THE ACCOUNT NUMBER FOR ME ON MY CONSUMER COPY!! That's right--the check # is on the check, but not the bank account number. So, since they don't know their own account number, they refuse to answer any questions about the check (vs. finding out their own account number so they can help the customer).

3) It gets better--I THOUGHT I stopped-pay on a cashier's check on 12/1/08. I called customer service, and they said they issued a stop-pay. HOWEVER, AS OF 12/15, I had no money and no paperwork. So, I called Customer Service, was put on hold indefinitely, so I called the branch.

Long story short:
--the branch is the only place I CAN place a stop pay
--the bank refused to investigate the individual with whom I spoke on 12/1/08 even though they knew who it was (they looked it up)
--I was forced to issue another stop-pay on 12/15, and they are holding the funds for 10 banking days (until 12/30).
--AND, I found out from a regional manager that they COULD override their 10-day-rule, since they knew the check had not been cashed by the payee, but they REFUSED to issue that order.
--today, 12/19, I asked for a copy of the paperwork done on 12/15, and so far, they can't 'FIND' it. Also, I'm waiting to see if that paperwork even went through.

Clearly this bank is ripping off customers. There is no way that thie sequence of events is arbitrary. I have queried them about other cashier's checks, and they never have their own bank account number. Also, a reputable company would investigate my allegation that I did, in fact, get a stop-pay on 12/1/08, and if so, they would expedite the remediation. Therefore, this bank is likely trying to stop customers from querying about stop-pays on cashier's checks, and they are certainly trying to punish issuing stop-pays on them. Why? I do not know. I wish I did.

As of today, the branch 'cannot' give me copies of the paperwork for the 2nd stop-pay. They say they don't have it, and cannot get it.

I will update this situation as it becomes more perverse (it will).

Anonymous
Dublin, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/19/2008 02:53 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/US-Bank/Dublin-California-94568/US-Bank-Cashiers-check-scam-perpetrated-by-bank-Dublin-California-403183. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on US Bank

#1 Consumer Suggestion

I don't see the issue

AUTHOR: Tommytrip.com - (U.S.A.)

The reason it is so hard to place a stop payment on a cashier's check is because it is guaranteed money which they draw out of your account prior to writing the check. This makes the check more reputable than a personal check, and being able to cancel the check right away would remove this reputation.

I think the only way you could get ripped off in the story you described would be if US Bank charged you a fee for both of the stop payments on the same check.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

The reason for this..

AUTHOR: I Am The Law - (U.S.A.)

The reason they can't tell you the account number on it is because it's not a check drawn on USB. The cashier's check is from another company, they just sell them at USB. I believe it's Money Express.