Complaint Review: Verizon Wireless

• Updated: Thu, July 17, 2014

• Reported By: KMonroe — Corona California
Verizon Wireless
261 S Lincoln Avenue Corona, California USA

Verizon Wireless Put me into a contract I never wanted & cannot afford and won't allow me to cancel it! Corona California

My cell phone was stolen in February 2014.  I was not eligible for an upgrade at the time my phone was stolen so my 3 kids & I were without any phone service for 30 days while I waited for my upgrade eligibility status.  Keep in mind I use my phone for work. I am a single parent of 3 working a telesales job from home.  My phone is critical to my success and income.

I went to the Verizon store at the end of March ready to upgrade my phone and reinstate my service.  Historically my monthly cell SVCS cost me $180/month for 2 smartphones & 2 lower end phones.  I made it very clear, on several occasions, thought my 2 hour in-store shopping visit, to Juan, the store manager, that I couldn't afford to pay more than what I have been paying ($180/mo).  I told him $200/mo TOPS was all I could afford to pay for cell phone SVCS.  Further, I told Juan that I was willing to forego having any cell phones or SVCS if the cost was more than I could afford. [continued below]....

.....  Juan assured me the monthly cost was going to be just over $200/mo.  He sweetened the deal by selling me 3 Samsung Galaxy 4S phones, for $75/ea.

it wasn't until I received my first statement and saw the crazy charges & balance due that I realized something was very wrong.  This was not what was discussed w/the manager (Juan) when I was in the store discussing my plan for 2 hours.  I called Verizon right away to go over my statement and get an explanation of the exorbident charges.  That accomplished very little.  On the phone Verizon pointed the finger at the store and told me to contact the store for assistance.  I did that immediately.  I actually returned to the store w/a copy of my statement.

What I did accomplish over the phone was 1) Juan did not put me back into the plan I had previously 2) Juan put me into 2 seperate contracts without disclosing that to me.  Apparently, Verizon has changed the way they structure their SVCS from my last purchase/contract (the only way I've ever done business w/Verizon as long as I have paid for their service - 15+ yrs).  It appears now there is an equipment charge upfront, & monthly, & for a 2 yr period (per the equipment contract that was not disclosed). 3) the monthly total for the contracts that I was put into comes to approx $400/mo!  MORE THAN TWICE WHAT I CAN AFFORD TO PAY AND COMMUNICATED TO THE MGR!  Further changes unbenouonced to me are 1) Veizon now chargies for "data downloading" per the new contract I was put on.  This is a huge change from my previous plan which was centered around minutes and text useage (and ALL contracts preceding the new one I have ever entered into w/Verizon).  In addition to being charged monthly for equipment, I am now experiencing overages due to data because I have never heard of this and I have never paid for this in the past.  No one was helpful in telling me how this was happening (since I was home using my WIFI), and how to stop it!

As you can imagine, my statement charges were EXCESSIVE and s****.>

I offerred on several occasions to bring the equipment back to Verizon, as it was never my intention to make payments for equipment.  In the past, the money I provided as a "down payment" for a phone was all I ever paid out of pocket, in lue of signing a 2 yr SVCS contract.  That's what I thought I was doing.  It's what I have always done when I am eligible to upgrade.  Verizon will not take back their equipment, citing, I have had the phones more than 14 days.  Again, not my fault.  My understanding of the transaction was nothing like what was reflected on my billing statements Which arrived more than 14 days from this transaction.

Obviously, I quickly fell late on my payments, due to the exorbident balance due which continued to s****.>

I feel very dissalushioned and taken advantage of.  I added up the money I have paid to Verizon since this nightmare began 3 mos ago.  Turns out in less than 3 mos I paid Verizon $1,900.  The balance due on my account is still another $1,000!  So in a 3 month period, Verizon is telling me I owe them in excess of $3,000!!  ARE THEY ON GLUE!!!  I'm not giving Verizon another penny.  They refuse to work with me.  One rep stated that I "shouldn't sign a contract if I don't know what it's for."  I would argue that if you look someone in the eyes for more than 2 hours discussing your "contract" that you believe they are conducting business in good faith with you, keeping in mind your specific needs that have been communicated many times over throughout the course of my in store visit.

When my svc is shut off again, I will take my business to TMOBILE.  I'm also considering reinstalling my land line.  Suddenly the cost/benefit of cell svc doesn't look very attractive anymore.  I do enjoy the luxury & convenience of having a cell phone, and I am also willing to do without, if I cannot afford it.

Verizon can sue me for whatever they think i owe them.   My credit is shot, I have nothing to lose.  i can't give what I don't have, so bring it Verizon.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/17/2014 12:40 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Verizon-Wireless/Corona-California-92882/Verizon-Wireless-Put-me-into-a-contract-I-never-wanted-cannot-afford-and-wont-allow-me-1162886. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Verizon Wireless