Complaint Review: Walmart Family Mobile Powered by T Mobile

• Updated: Wed, September 25, 2013

• Reported By: Seattle Resident — Seattle Washington
Walmart Family Mobile Powered by T Mobile
Albuquerque, New Mexico USA

Walmart Family Mobile Powered by T Mobile Customer Relations agent Hope Pae Complicit in identity theft Albuquerque New Mexico

The first time I heard of "Walmart Family Mobile Powered by T Mobile" was when I found a bill to a name similar to mine at my address amongst my other junk mail.  They billed me despite my never opening an account with them, or having any other interaction with them.

I tried calling the customer support number to report the error, but was unable to reach a human being.  So I sat down and wrote a polite letter to them explaining that I was never a customer of theirs.  Instead of correcting the error, a representative named Hope Pae sent a letter demanding payment for the "past due" balance, also including this text "Family Mobile allows customers to review their accounts on www.MyFamilyMobile.com and issues monthly statements so may review your account for any discrepancies.  We must be notified immediately of any disputed charges iin order to correct the issue for future billing statements."

How could I be expected to log in to their website to "review my account" or read their junk mail if I never opened an account with them?

My guess is that someone opened a fake account using an approximation of my name and address, and "Family Mobile" didn't bother to confirm it was really me.  In effect, companies that act like this become complicit in identify theft since most people would just pay them rather than risk damaging their credit history.

An attorney in a different Attorney General's Office has advised me to file a complaint against "Walmart Family Mobile Powered by T Mobile" with the Washington State Attorney General's Office regarding the potential of consumer fraud.  I am considering that step now.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/25/2013 02:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Walmart-Family-Mobile-Powered-by-T-Mobile/Albuquerque-New-Mexico-87190/Walmart-Family-Mobile-Powered-by-T-Mobile-Customer-Relations-agent-Hope-Pae-Complicit-in-1087313. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Walmart Family Mobile Powered by T Mobile