Complaint Review: Walmart / MoneyGram Money Order Services

• Submitted: Wed, September 03, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, September 17, 2009

• Reported By:Fremont California
Walmart / MoneyGram Money Order Services
walmart.com Nationwide, California U.S.A.

Walmart / MoneyGram Money Order Services Legitimate WalMart MoneyGram money orders not being accpeted at banks?! Multiple Locations Nationwide California, Nashville

* : Moneygram is a shady company that does not even disclose their fees

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Walmart money orders

*Consumer Comment: My Bank will not accept Walmart money orders either

*Consumer Suggestion: Something's not right here . . . .

*Consumer Suggestion: Moneygram website.

*Consumer Comment: Let's rethink your complaint for a moment ...

*Author of original report: If only it were that easy...

*Consumer Suggestion: Sounds like...

*Consumer Suggestion: Deposit the moneygram

On 8/21/08 I went to my local Walmart with $575 in cash. I was planning to send a MoneyGram wire transfer to a puppy breeder in Nashville to purchase one of her litter that I wanted. When I saw how high the fees were for National money transfers vs. International , I balked. I opted to purchase a MoneyGram money order & ship it to the breeder via USPS overnight instead.

That was my first mistake! I should have walked right out of Walmart's doors & simply went to the USPS , purchased a money order there, overnighted it & been a happy camper...knowing my payment was secured & my puppy would soon be on her way to her new home.

Alas, things did not go quite so smoothly. Unfortunately, I made a grave error when I purchased the MoneyGram money order at Walmart instead. When doing so no one at Walmart told me the breeder was going to have a next-to-impossible time retrieving my money from that money order. I assumed she could walk into Walmart & cash the money order, or deposit it into her bank...no problem! NOT SO!

The breeder's bank here in the USA refused my USA purchased money order!! This is a verifiable, legitimate money for which Walmart accepted $575.46! I have the reciept! It clearly states states "cash tend". I sent that along to the breeder so she could show the bank, Walmart, anyone....

Walmart Nashville will apparently not be able to cash it either. WTF?! They had no problem accepting the cash, why do they have a problem with cashing THEIR OWN , verifiable through MoneyGram, legitimate money order? Apparently they only issue mo's, they don't cash them. I should have been informed of this at the time of purchase! They are a MoneyGram agent, after all. One would assume they perform all aspects of the transfer of money for the instruments they issue.

Here's my conundrum. The breeder can't cash it, my puppy is growing by leaps & bounds (it's now 9/3) & the money order is made to the breeder, so I can't cash it any more either. Waiting out a "damaged or lost" claim will mean that the seller will likely sell the puppy to someone else while my money is tied up for absolutely NO reason!

This doesn't even begin to touch upon our hurt, frustration & discouragment related to this whole financial aspect of the transaction!

If Walmart has a problem with scammers making copies of their money orders & banks thus accepting them ...they should make purchasers AWARE of this fact BEFORE they have a problem (ie: can't get anyone to cash a REAL money order).

Sadly, I never even knew this sort of thing was going on until it was too late & I was wrapped up in the middle of a bad situation. Seems the bank's should be able to tell real from fake, especially when accompanied by a serial numbered reciept, & an 800# which I used to verify it (just to see what the process was)...but I guess not. I certainly can't force them to pay on it, as much as I would absolutely love to throttle someone until they did so!

Worst mistake ever was trusting Walmart/MoneyGram with my CASH. I should have not only run...but sprinted...over to the USPS for my money order. At least they have a method of cashing other than a super-high fee "Check Cashing" company! Hard way to learn a lesson....but you can bet it's one I will NEVER forget.

Burnedbywallyworld
Fremont, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/03/2008 11:40 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Walmart-MoneyGram-Money-Order-Services/Nationwide-California-94539/Walmart-MoneyGram-Money-Order-Services-Legitimate-WalMart-MoneyGram-money-orders-not-bei-369357. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Walmart / MoneyGram Money Order Services

#1

Moneygram is a shady company that does not even disclose their fees

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Considering that Moneygram is a financial institution it surprised me that they are not even able (or don't want to... ?)   to publish their fees.

WalMart does not have a  list of their fees and when I  called Moneygram, it  was "It  always depends:  upon the amount,  the Zip code, the country where it is sent to and it always changes..."   Maybe it also depends up whether it is full moon and upon the first letter of  the receivers last name... ?

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Walmart money orders

AUTHOR: Ladyloveseagles - (U.S.A.)

It is says WALMART and if you still have the money order stub and the recipt
you should be able to cash it.
If the store you bought if from gives you had poop about it. I would call the home office and complain.
I was a CSM and that is what we are always told to do.

But yes there are a lot of scams out there about bad money orders.
There are a lot of scams about breeders in a different state that will call you back and say that you money order is no good and that they will only take cash.
If I was you like that last poster said. I would call TN Police and ask if it is a legitamate breeder and what your situation is.

I would focus more on finding a breeder locally.

My Bank will not accept Walmart money orders either

AUTHOR: Borninohio - (U.S.A.)

My bank or credit union will not accept Walmart money orders and not even Post Office money orders.

I guess they are a lot of fake money orders out there and the banks must of been notified not to accept Walmart Money orders

You would think there would be a system where they could check the id number on a money order and see if it is real or fake??

It is a shame that Walmart can sell a money order but they cannot cash them.

They cash payroll checks why not their own money orders ?????

Ask the breeder to take the money order to a Money Gram place like the other person suggested and try and cash it there.

If it comes down to it you can file a lost money order claim and get your money back that way but I wonder how they send your refund to you??? by money order or check???

I try and stay away from even buying Walmart Money orders anymore due to the problem businesses have in cashing them.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Something's not right here . . . .

AUTHOR: Frank - (U.S.A.)

Burnedbywallyworld,

Allow me to offer another perspective.

The first thing that struck me was that you are in California and dealing with a dog breeder in Tennessee. You can find dozens of Ripoff reports on this site concerning scammers posing as dog breeders who take the victim's money and never deliver a dog.

Soare you ABSOLUTELY SURE that you are dealing with a legitimate business?

You may want to call the Nashville police or the Nashville Chamber of Commerce to determine if they have any records of a legitimate business operating under the name of your dog breeder.

This may very well be a scam. After all, all your information concerning the difficulties in cashing this money order is coming from only one sourcethe dog breeder. This alleged dog breeder may just be stalling until it's time to leave town and set up the scam in another location.

Have you contacted MoneyGram yourself to determine if the money order has been cashed?

The following is from the MoneyGram web site:

How can I determine if my MoneyGram Money Order has been cashed? If you have retained your money order number, MoneyGram offers 24-hour automated money order status information by calling 1-800-542-3590. MoneyGram customer service representatives are also available from 7 a.m.-8 p.m. CST Monday-Friday and 8 a.m.-5 p.m. CST Saturdays.

Good luck!

Frank

#5 Consumer Suggestion

Moneygram website.

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

According to the moneygram website (www.moneygram.com) there are 67 moneygram agents in Nashville, Tn where the money order can be cashed.

Perhaps you should ask the breeder to visit the moneygram website, click on "receive money" and then click on "find" to determine the closest address where the money order can be cashed. Also, the breeder will need the reference number (from you) to speed up the process.

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

It was the breeder's BANK that would not accept the money order. Shouldn't the BANK be the subject of your rip off? Wal-mart's responsibility ended at the point at which they sold you a perfectly good money order and you went on your merry way. They are not responsible for the actions of an unaffiliated business.

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

If only it were that easy...

AUTHOR: Burnedbywallyworld - (U.S.A.)

The breeder's bank flat out refuses to take the money order. they can verify it, so why don't they at least take that step before denying it? I mean, it's a 5 minute phone call!
Yes, she can take it to a check cashing place, but then she "eats the cost" along the line someplace, to the tune of about $75! Or asks me to pay it. Fair? I think not!

And 2 weeks makes a LOT of difference in a large breed dog. They grow really quickly & we already have had a 3 week delay. Another 2-3 weeks would mean a significant difference in the size, weight, etc.

#10 Consumer Suggestion

Sounds like...

AUTHOR: Edgeman - (U.S.A.)

The bank is skittish. There have been a lot of scams involving fake Moneygram money orders. She may be able to take it to a check cashing place if she is willing to pay the fee.

#11 Consumer Suggestion

Deposit the moneygram

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

The breeder should simply deposit the moneygram into his/her bank account. At the most, the bank might hold the deposit for about 10-14 days as they wait for the moneygram to be reconsiled through the ACH.

10-14 days surely isn't going to have much effect on the dog you're attempting to purchase.

Why doesn't this breeder deposit the moneygram into a bank account?