Complaint Review: Walmart

• Reported By: Felix Marmaduke Leonard — Chico California
Walmart
2044 Forest Ave Chico, California USA

Walmart In the land of idiots, Managers are Kings and Queens Chico California

*Consumer Comment: trying to return anything to walmart is impossible

*General Comment: Too Complicated for You

*Author of original report: decent person

*General Comment: Fantastic

*Author of original report: fantastic

*General Comment: Fantastic

*Author of original report: decent person

*General Comment: Come On...

*General Comment: Regarding one of your photos....

*General Comment: Tell the corporate offices.

*General Comment: Maturity...

*General Comment: Come On...

*Author of original report: Let's Clear some things up

*General Comment: Really??

*Consumer Comment: Personal relation skills

*Consumer Comment: Sad

*Author of original report: I stand by my actions

My complaint about the Wal-Mart in Chico Ca is kinda complex. It requires knowledge of the rules of couponing, and Wal-Mart's coupon and return policy, but I will try to explain it in a way that makes sense for everyone. Get a good look at the pictures of employees I have provided. They are the poster children of everything that is wrong with Wal-Mart. The problem with making returns, couponing, or even just plain shopping at Wal-Mart is simply the amount of ignorance that is required to be a  Wal-Mart  employee.

To be good at couponing you need to know the rules. Every store that accepts coupons has a coupon policy. It makes making transactions fair for BOTH the employee and the customer.  If a store is going to accept returns, they must have a return policy, that makes returns fair and easy for anyone. Both the customers and employees must follow these guidelines. [continued below]....

.....

I had problems returning items at this Wal-Mart because the second the cashier notices you making a return that you used coupons to pay for, they immediately think 'fraud'. This is unfortunate for people like me who use coupons to purchase literally everything. If I want to make a return, it should be allowed especially if I have a receipt. To make matters worse, when I read the return policy for Wal-Mart, it said that returns were not only allowed for purchases with coupons, but the value of the coupons is returned to the customer. But the return policy doesn't really help anyone if employees don't even bother to read the policy they spend all day mindlessly enforcing.  I had a good laugh when one of the customer service employees,  Houa Moua , told me that making returns that you purchased with coupons was 'breaking coupon law'. I laughed and asked her how many 'coupon laws' are there? After showing her that the return policy, at the time allowed the transaction, she told me 'if you have a problem with this, you can speak to our manager.' The level of ignorance at this particular store is mind boggling. It goes ALL the way up the chain of command.

On another occasion a manager, Billy Roberts, told me that 'only one coupon from the Sunday paper could be used at a time'.  Anyone who knows anything about couponing knows this is absurd, and I'm embarrassed for the managers that are actually telling this to their customers which completely contradicts Wal-Mart's actual coupon policy.

A week before Christmas I made my very last trip into the Wal-Mart in Chico CA. I was going to use some coupons I had saved for some razors. The coupon was above the total of the item, which according to Wal-Mart's coupon policy is completely allowed. In fact many people take their coupons to Wal-Mart for this  very reason. It's a nifty LEGAL way to bring down your total by simply using your head, and the resources around you. The cashier  who rang me up was new and didn't know the coupon policy (big surprise), and needed a manager to approve the transaction. My only hope at this point was maybe, just maybe, the manager who would come discuss this with would me at least know the stores policies, as the managers are required to know this information. I was very embarrassed for the 'manager' that helped me this day. Her name is Daine LaMerrill Harrison. Her first words to me were "YOU KNOW YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO RETURN THESE RAZORS RIGHT!?!" I informed her that I wasn't standing in the customer service line asking for a refund, I was standing in the checkout line, PURCHASING them. I was told I was only allowed to use one coupon per transaction. I then pointed out that the coupon said 'one per PURCHASE',  NOT per transaction.  When I asked her the difference between a transaction and a purchase, this idiot manager didn't seem to even know the difference. At this point my plan was to allow her to read Wal-Mart's store policies as I always keep them printed and on hand, just for schooling stupid managers like Diane. Instead of listening to what I was actually saying, Daine started talking over me, and wouldn't let me say anything.  After every fact I stated, she would simply shake her head and say 'NUH UH! THAT'S NOT WHAT I WAS TOLD!!".  I felt very embarrassed for Diane because that s not even an acceptable answer for a manager to be giving to its customers. At one point Diane told me that I could not use the higher value coupon on a lower value item, as it was 'like getting cash back'. I had a very good laugh when she said that. Clearly this woman didn't know her ass from her elbow.

At this point I became very frustrated as even Wal-Mart's managers  had no idea about the rules in place for the very story they represented. I told Diane that I thought she was very stupid for talking over me, the customer, who is simply saying 'let's review the policies together'.  At this point, Diane didn't take the time to ponder whether I was actually right or not, she threatened to have me escorted out of the building for calling her 'stupid'. This frustrated me greatly as large amounts of people were watching the exchange of words, and I knew, from doing actual research, that I was actually in the right on this transaction. I could clearly see online that many people were using this coupon the EXACT same way. Still Diane keep shaking her dumb head, and talking over me. I told her that she should be embarrassed for even allowing herself to consider herself a 'real' manager of Wal-Mart, as she had proved to me she not only had no knowledge about the policies required  to be a manager, but she couldn't even demonstrate to me that she knew the difference between a transaction and a purchase. After I called Diane 'stupid' a second time, she and another manager told me that I wasn't allowed to use coupons at this Wal-Mart ever again, and that I was going to be escorted off the premise if I didn't immediately leave. I was so insulted and humiliated that customers were watching the exchange, and many of them I feared just saw a manager telling a customer they are wrong, and I'm sure many of them thought I was in the wrong, because of COURSE the managers probably knows more about the rules than some 'dumb' customer, right?

The sad fact is, even after Diane reads this complaint, I don't believe she has enough intelligence in her fat head  to look up the real rules for the store she works at, and ever figure out that she was actually in the wrong. My best bet is that after she reads this, she will just shake her dumb little head, think 'nuh uh!!!', and life will go on.  Ignorance is bliss. If Diane can be a manger at Wal-Mart, then literally ANYONE could. All you apparently need is a pulse to qualify.  Managers like these are the walking, talking, living, breathing textbook examples of why people choose not to bring their coupon to Wal-Mart, or even shop there. I refuse to give any money to that business. I encourage couponers to take their coupons through the self-checkout line at Wal-Mart if one is available, as you cut out the ignorant employees, and it's just you versus the machine.  Better yet, take your coupons to Target where I guarantee you, even the cashiers know the rules.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/22/2014 10:40 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Walmart/Chico-California-95928/Walmart-In-the-land-of-idiots-Managers-are-Kings-and-Queens-Chico-California-1140965. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Walmart

trying to return anything to walmart is impossible

AUTHOR: jasper - ()

I hate going through the return lines anywhere, but at walmart it's the worst... first of all they look at me like i'm a common criminal. Then they go over everything with a fine tooth comb only to tell me that they only can give me store credit and not put the money back on my card from which I paid for it with... everytime I ask why I never get a straight anwser, and always just have to accept it. I'm never again shopping there if I can avoid it. even if family buys me gift cards there I will just sell the gift cards to one of those gift card purcasing companies.

#2 General Comment

Too Complicated for You

AUTHOR: Decency - ()

First of all, it's "rebuttal", and it is listed all over this page.

Second, you're right; I have mentioned the same point repeatedly. That is my fault. The reason I have done this is because you seem to fail to fully comprehend it every time. I haven't made this argument about me at all. I have simply pointed out several flaws in your logic and behavior (in hopes to help you better yourself), yet you have only responded by attacking me as a person (and very poorly might I add).

Your original report was filed because you are upset that the employees were not aware of what the store's policies were, am I not correct? My response is and always has been about how you have unrealistic expectations for a position that ANYONE can fill (even you); and also that your reaction was that of an upset infant. That is all. It's actually very simple.

Yet you have failed to make a coherent argument in terms of defending the points that I have presented to you. You simply respond by calling me names. It's as if you have the emotions of an unstable woman, with the immaturity of a stable 3 year old.

My only regret in terms of responding to your report is that I have wasted my time in trying to do you a favor. I guess I was ultimately trying to do everyone else a favor by helping you open your eyes as to the reality of your behavior. In helping you change, I was attempting to make people in the retail industries' lives simpler.

Stop acting like a child. And I'm still not convinced that you're not an irrational, emotional, immature woman.

Please, please, please grow up.

decent person

AUTHOR: Felix Marmaduke Leonard - ()

you have done a great job at repeating your same rebuddles over and over again only to distract the public from my message. thank you for submitting your link, but this has nothing to do with the policies that I have been talking about since this debate started. Looking forward to your next reply where you critisize my grammer and spelling and post even more links found on your fb page. This will be my last response to anyone who can't read or understand the policies and have a REAL debate about what the article is ACTUALLY about. You have succeeded in hijacking the main point of this article and made it about the customer (and yourself) rather then the employees. Maybe I insulted you for being ingorant in the ways of Walmart's Policies. Again, Im answering no more questions unless the rebuddles have some understanding for the ACTUAL POLICIES BEING DISCUSSED IN THIS ARTICLE. thank you

#4 General Comment

Fantastic

AUTHOR: A Decent Person - ()

I find that response to be extremely humorous; seeing as you aren't even smart enough to know how to use proper spelling or grammar. Being smart enough to understand several simple polices, and thinking that everyone is here to make YOUR life better are two completely unrelated topics. You probably can't comprehend that, but that's extremely understandable. Grocery store employees hate you as a whole. I guarantee that they are all relieved and talk negatively about you as soon as you leave the premises.

I stumbled upon this article and thought I would share it with you. You should really read it and soak it all in. I know it's like five paragraphs; so you'll probably have to set aside several hours to read and attempt to understand what is being communicated here. But I can imagine that you fall into 2-5 of these categories: cracked.com/funny-6959-5-types-customers-dreaded-by-grocery-store-cashiers/

The ONLY people that agree with you are ignorant, immature, cheap, and self-absorbed people.

Do something meaningful with your time. You're welcome.

fantastic

AUTHOR: Felix Marmaduke Leonard - ()

The only people who agree with me, are the ones SMART ENOUGH to read and understand the policies.

#6 General Comment

Fantastic

AUTHOR: A Decent Person - ()

I sincerely apologize. The only people who use coupons and spend their spare time memorizing hundreds of paragraphs of different stores' policies are crazy women that no one likes to see at their place of work (hence the reason that you were escorted off of Walmart premises. Haha out of all the crazy people that shop at Walmart, YOU are the only person I have heard of getting kicked out of there that wasn't arrested for some sort of crime).

I do not have difficulties memorizing paragraphs in the least. And that has nothing to do with the point. Obviously, if you can memorize paragraphs of policies then that does not prove that someone is not stupid. I find it hilariously ironic that you are calling me and other people stupid when you can't even spell correctly or use decent grammar. I would love to show you all of your ignorant errors, but I don't have time to go through the litany of mistakes that is your grammar. Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black (I suggest you look that saying up on Google, seeing as you probably don't have the capacity to comprehend that on your own)?

My point is that people, even Walmart employees, have a life outside of working there. They are not going to go above and beyond to make impossible women/men like you happy for minimum wage. You are incredibly ignorant and self-absorbed to think that way. The world doesn't revolve around you. I am extremely glad that you were embarrassed in front of everyone at Walmart. My guess is that the reason you were so embarrassed was because you were exposed for what you really are; a cheap, ego-centric, unreasonably ignorant and immature person. A grown "man" who calls people "the 's' word" (oh my!) and says that people have a fat head when they don't get their way. I imagine you stamping your feet on the ground and plugging your ears and making loud noises when told that you couldn't get your way. You also probably proceeded to hold your breath and roll over on the ground. Afterall, that is what my 5 year old neice USED to do. And I am not appalled by the fact that you called someone the naughty "s" word; I am appalled by the fact that you call people stupid and "fat head" when you don't get what you want. I imagine you being 4 years old.

Just think about the fact that pretty much every response to your original report was that you are in the wrong and are incredulously unwilling to look at the reality of the situation. If you were correct in your reaction, then there would be several responses agreeing to your warranted outrage. However, there was one, maybe two that somewhat agreed with you. Everyone else was emphatic in informing you that you are disturbingly ignorant.

If 100 people tell you you're wrong; then you're wrong.

Please think about it. I hate to think that I am wasting my time trying to help you and you just want to stay the same person that, probably, people can't stand to be around. Ever.

decent person

AUTHOR: Felix Marmaduke Leonard - ()

Wow. I flat out tell you I'm a man, and you still think I'm a woman. Your a special kind of 'stupid' arnt you? Maybe you should be a manager at Walmart, oh wait, you have difficulties reading PARAGRAPHS of policies. Its so hard for you to learn the policies that you feel the need to assert that there is no way I could learn them in 30 mins. I have dozens of policies memorized from all the stores I shop at because I am a coupon GOD (not goddess) Lol. Sounds to me like you would be promoted quickly with the amount of ignorance in your rebudles. You should put your app in, I hear they are hiring.... Looking forward to your reply where you repeat your opinions over and over again, how I'm a terrrrible person for loosing my cool and saying the 's' word.

Think about it, lady....

#8 General Comment

Come On...

AUTHOR: A Decent Person - ()

1. You're right, you never did state that you were a woman. I was just able to deduce that from your story. You just sound irrational and emotional. And you perfectly match the description of the women that retail workers dread.

2. I am not necessarily promoting cashiers not having to learn the policies (even though they are not required to by their empolyee to do so at all. Seriously, what Wal-Mart employee is going to take the time to learn the company's policy just for kicks and giggles?? Like I said, that's the manager's job). What I am promoting, however, is the fact that you are REQUIRED to have some decency and respect even when things don't go your way. Welcome to adulthood.

I am not even going to get into the fact that it takes nowhere near 30 minutes to pick up a paycheck. Do you think they are located on the roof??? What are you even talking about? Especially with direct deposit nowadays.

Also, I just looked up Wal-Mart's policies out of curiosity; there are upwards of 10 of them. Each containing SEVERAL paragraphs! That would take several DAYS for even an extremely very sharp person to memorize and retain. I guarantee that you could not memorize and retain them in 30 minutes, let alone one week. Especially just to do it out of fun and pure love for working at Wal-Mart. I was going to copy and paste the policies or upload a screenshot of them but there are far too many to be able to do that.

You can disregard my rebuttal as invalid, or think that I am stupid with a fat head (you and my 3 year old nephew have the same insults in common; are you sure you're not in the same day care as he is?), but it does not change the fact that you are completely out of line. I couldn't agree more with the other people who responded to this report as well, with the exception of "Giselle" who is mindlessly endorsing your behavior. It should tell you something that people are taking time out of their day to respond to your immature report. Especially the person that pointed out that what you did was illegal.

Think about it, lady.

#9 General Comment

Regarding one of your photos....

AUTHOR: Mamabear6985 - ()

Hey,

I just want to say that Billy... doesn't even work at Walmart anymore. And I know him well, mainly from his past as a Walmart associate he was one of the best Walmart employees. He always had an answer to your question and did what he could to make your trip to that stressful store a pleasant one. So quite judging people you don't even know, kind of a jerk move!

Jessica

Ps. Don't be a JERK!

#10 General Comment

Tell the corporate offices.

AUTHOR: Fed-Up-Pissed-off - ()

To the original poster.  As a coupon diva myself I can tell you store employees vary by location.  Luckily our area has finally learned the value of coupon users and have made sure that everyone treats us well.

My suggestion is to copy this entire report over to the walmart corporate office and strongly urge further training at this store.

Keep on couponing-on sister.

#11 General Comment

Maturity...

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

I was on your side right up until your report bacame a CRIME!! Yes you DO have the ability to complain but not the right to be abusive. No person who is employeed is EVER paid enough to put up with abuse. Once you gave first and last names and posted thier pictures and place of work, your report became a crime. It is illegal to present YOUR opinions AS FACT ON A MEDIA OUTLET!!! Thats what the web is, a MEDIA OUTLET. If ANYTHING happens to ANY of these employees BECAUSE of your report, YOU ARE CRIMINALLY LIABLE.

You bandy around "Your rights", yet you dismiss the very basic rights that ALL humans have. YOUR rights DO NOT SUPERCEED anothers rights. Its basic constitution. Simple CIVICS!!! Im going to forward YOUR post onto Walmart corporate. THEY have MUCH better lawyers then YOU. You have placed these individuals in PERSONAL DANGER by YOUR ACTIONS. That IS a crime. YOU have presented YOUR opinion as FACT on a media OUTLET!! Thats also is a crime. I certainly hope you have saved enough cash to pay thier legal fees because THEY WILL WIN!!!!

Had you kept the report free of personal info and pics then you would have had people on your side. You state....I called a stupid person stupid....What gives you the right to be abusive because you didnt get your way. YOure a low brow mouthbreather and you deserve the lawsuit that they are going to leverage against you.

No I dont work for walmart, but I cant in good conscience let this slide. You are a BAD PERSON. You are a BAD CITIZEN. You have attempted to place YOUR rights above the rights of others and you have violated quite a few laws to do so. For YOUR sake you better hope that NOTHING happens to these people because YOU will be as equally responsible for the crime against them because it would be YOUR report that pointed some nutjob in thier direction.

You may THINK youre smart, but your dumb as a post. What you have done is wrong and I pray to the heavens that YOU get whats comming to YOU! Heres the great thing....your dumbass made a scene in the store, they have your name. They probably have your phone number somewhere at Walmart corporate. I would be watching my back if I was you. People like the employees you have slandered and put in personal danger tend to NOT like it when some dipstick puts the lives of themsleves and thier families in danger.

#12 General Comment

Come On...

AUTHOR: A Decent Person - ()

Wow. First of all, that was nearly a decade ago, and I was 16. It was my first job, as is the same for a lot of teenagers. Believe it or not, I did not have the time to go home and memorize the plethora of policies on my off time. That is unrealistic to ask for (about as unrealistic as asking you to have a decent attitude and act like a grown woman apparently). If the cashiers knew all the policies and how to handle every situation then there would be no need for managers, now would there? And I was not inadequate as a cashier in the least. I was continually promoted until I found a better job.

Now, yes, the managers were in the wrong. You are correct, you were in the right and deserved to exercise your right to use the coupons. However, you were absolutely in the wrong for yelling and demeaning poor Wal-Mart employees, no matter how misinformed they may be. Your way of thinking couldn't be more jouvenile. By your logic (thinking someone is stupid so calling them stupid) it would be okay to call a mentally disabled person a "retard". That's ridiculous! Just because someone is overweight does not mean that I can call them fat when they upset me. Imagine the kind of world that would be like if we all acted like 3 year olds. I would have a hard time refraining from being rude and talking over you as well, seeing as your attitude sucks, you're rude, and extremely condescending. But I would manage to refrain due to the fact that I am an adult and have learned to act accordingly.

And I have a hunch that says that you weren't threatened to be "escorted off the premises" simply because you "were in the right". That's outrageous! You really think that? Seriously, think about this. Try to read what you wrote objectively and see how you come off. I have a very strong feeling that you were threatened that because they don't appreciate grown women making a scene and acting like a child in their place of business.

Yes, the employees were possibly disrespectful to you, but you are absolutely NO BETTER for how you handled it.

The ONLY reason that I have taken the time out of my day is simply because I do feel sorry for you. You probably have the potential to be an awesome person. I just feel that it is my obligation to point this out to you in hopes that it will HELP you. As much as I hate people pointing out my downfalls, it serves to help me improve on those areas. And I always appreciate it in retrospect.

Let's Clear some things up

AUTHOR: Felix Marmaduke Leonard - ()

1. Just because someone uses coupons, DOESN'T automaticly make them a WOMAN. No where in my article did I call myself a woman.

2. Rebuttles from the public that promote cashiers NOT learning the policies that are REQUIRED by almost EVERY company that hires employees are invalid in my opinion, and not worth my time answering. As far as im concerned, if your a cashier and you dont think you HAVE to learn the policies because you dont have 'enough time' but still have enough time to grab your pay check every week, then YOU are the problem. It takes seriously less than 30 mins.

3. Any spelling error in my main article im offically blaming on my phone :)

#14 General Comment

Really??

AUTHOR: A Decent Person - ()

This story was very fascinating. Although I see how your complaint is valid, and anyone would be extremely frustrated in that situation; the way you handled it was completely and utterly unwarranted, disrespectful and ignorant.

First, yes, the managers should be well versed in the policies of the store that they represent, but having been a cashier for one of my first jobs for a year, it is unrealistic to expect a cashier to have every policy memorized and ready to follow and quote. That is just absurd. I mean this is Wal-Mart. You can work there starting at age 16. Give them a break. They have enough information they have to retain without having to be well versed in the company's coupon and return policy. Seriously?

Second, you represent the most difficult consumer that exists. Using coupons is a great way to save money; if you can do it, then more power to you. But you're the type of lady that comes through, is rude, self-centered, and condescending. (Pretty easy to deduce from the way that you spoke with that manager). I would have to say that the fact that you called a Wal-Mart employee stupid  REPEATEDLY, rather than act like a decent adult and human being, puts you on the exact same level as the manager using the phrase, "nu-uh". You embarrassed the employees, and you embarrassed yourself.

Even if the managers could not be any more inaccurate, you should not condescend and handle the situation like a 3 year old. My 5 year old niece is mature enough to not call people stupid when she throws a tantrum and does not get her way.

When I first started reading this I was on your side and understood why you would be upset, but after reading how you handled it, I simply feel bad for you. It does not matter if they did not abide by their own policy, have some decency and self-respect and handle things like an adult. Now you can't shop at that Wal-Mart with coupons. Not a big deal. You just have to go somewhere else. And since Wal-Mart is typically cheaper in every aspect, you will be spending more money in the long haul because of your immaturity. I'm glad that they told you that you can't use coupons at that location anymore. They're probably ecstatic about the fact that they don't have to see this negative, condescending lady demean them whenever she comes in.

Grow up.

Personal relation skills

AUTHOR: ramjet - ()

I expect that calling the employees 'stupid' may not have been the best strategy for winning your case.  From your arrogant attitude, I'm sure you said a lot more than that.

So you didn't get your own way and made a fool of yourself in front of other customers.

Good job!

Sad

AUTHOR: Giselle - ()

Wow, the manager said "nuh uh" to a customer?  I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone over the age of 10 say that.  How shameful and sad.  The store sounds like a trainwreck, starting with managment and trickling down to the cashiers.  I would not shop there. I would go to (((competitor's name redacted))), they seem to hire a better class of people.

I stand by my actions

AUTHOR: Felix Marmaduke Leonard - ()

I called a sptupid person stupid to their face. I can live with that. Employees that talk over the customers and threaten to escort them off the premises for being in the right, is the real issue. If you think its unrealistic to ask a cashieer to know the policies for the company that they work for, then that tells me you are probably inadaquate to be working the cash register, and you are probably just another cashieer that is a part of the problem for consumers. If you really wanted to, I bet you could learn your entire stores store policy in less than 30 mins. Are you too busy to learn the rules?

I am not the problem for trying to shop at walmart. I deserve to be treated like everyone else who shops here. I have the right to get frustrated. I have the right to criticize.