Complaint Review: Walmart

• Submitted: Sun, December 09, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, December 23, 2007

• Reported By:Lost in Ohio
Walmart
540 Harry Sauner Rd Hillsboro, Ohio U.S.A.

Walmart Terminated after FMLA leave requested Hillsboro Ohio

*Consumer Comment: I don't understand...

*Consumer Suggestion: Under the impression you needed to give advance notice of leave under this act

I was employed with Walmart for almost 3 years when I came upon needing to request emergency FMLA leave. I called hours after finding out that I need leave. The next morning I went in and explained everything to the Store Manager, he handed me the forms only asking if I had been there more than a year. I had and that was that, the forms were supposed to be striaght forward and we left.

When I got home my wife and I went over them they said that I had to have them turned in within 15 days from the 1st day I was off and to enclose all proof for the leave. The next week (5 or 6 days later) I took the forms back in and was told I was fired. I was not told and the forms did not say that I had to call in during the time when the forms were returned. I had called in any other time I needed time off before, why would I have not done this this time. I filed with Unemployment and have been denied, I am appealing but only time will tell.

I needed leave to deal with a situation with my family, now not only am I trying to deal with that but now I have no job. I have gone to apply a many companies but since Walmart Terminated me no one wants me. I have worked so hard and put out so much while at Walmart I can not believe that when I had a problem no one stood behind me as I had when others had family situations.

If I had a choice I would not shop there either but in a small town their prices are the lowest.

Walmart is no longer a famliy friendly store, I have no idea about other stores but this one is no longer for families.

Johio
Lost in, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/09/2007 06:51 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Walmart/Hillsboro-Ohio-45133/Walmart-Terminated-after-FMLA-leave-requested-Hillsboro-Ohio-290074. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Walmart

I don't understand...

AUTHOR: Striderq - (U.S.A.)

You said you needed the time off Walmart to deal with this situation. Then you say that you're still dealing with the situation and apllying for a new job. If you needed to be away from work for personal reasons (and I can understand that) from Walmart, why are you now looking for a job when you still need that time off? And during the application process are you telling the companies that if hired you immediately need time off? If so this could be the reason you have not been hired. Most companies that you have worked for will only confirmed that yes you worked for them for the period of start date to end date and wether or not you are rehirable. To tell more, even if it is the truth exposes the company to lawsuits that they don't want.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Under the impression you needed to give advance notice of leave under this act

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

Were you scheduled to work during the 5 or 6 days and just not show up??

I could be wrong but you need to put in advance notice to go on FMLA leave not just walk out the door and say I'll send you the forms later.

You could always notify the state labor people and discuss this with them.