Web.com gave a sales pitch to my wife (for my law firm) regarding a website "package deal" they were offering a "free 30 day risk-free trial. We had previously been doing business with Register.com, spending approximately $9.95 per month to operate a very simple website for my law firm.
Since my work consists primarily of federal appeals, most of my cases come from other attorneys. The best advertisement is word of mouth; the website is simply a convenience for our clients (other attorneys, court staff, etc.)
Less than one hour after my wife had agreed to a "no commitment cancel at any time free trial," we discussed it and decided it sounded a little shady and we didn't need to risk getting involved in a time-consuming ordeal. We immediately got on the phone, calling to cancel the previous agreement. My wife spoke to at least 8 different people at web.com as well as register.com that night. She sent additional 4 or 5 emails over the course of the 72 hours following to ensure the transaction was cancelled.
A recent audit of our books revealed that we had been charged over $1800.00 by web.com (IN ADDITION TO THE $9.95 STILL BEING CHARGED BY REGISTER.COM MONTHLY) in the past year, even though we had no contract, even though we had cancelled the "free 30 day trial." They had put up a new website without any approval from me whatsoever.
We have gone through their customer service and billing departments in an attempt to reasonably resolve this issue, they will have no part of reasonableness and continue to claim their rights to stolen money. I initially thought this was an error that that web.com would be happy to clear up when it was discovered. I was shocked when they basically admitted this is a normal business practice for their company.
To top it all off, the 800# they have listed as our office number they have actually set up to ring on my wifes old cell phone. The "contact us" portion of the webpage they built goes in to some black hole of which there is no telling how much business we may have lost there.
This company fraudulently charged me for building and maintaining a website and face bookpage I did not authorize or approve, with incorrect information, misinforming clients, and now refuses to accept any responsibility or even offer to credit one cent towards an obvious error. They top it off by fraudulently charging in excess of $1700 to my credit card, without my permission or approval in any way.