Complaint Review: web.com

• Reported By: Harry — Baltimore Maryland United States of America
web.com
Jacksonville, Florida United States of America

web.com Attempted credit card fraud Jacksonville, Florida

*Author of original report: This turns out to be a misunderstanding.

I received the following fradulent email from web.com this morning:

Dear(My name here):

We are experiencing difficulty processing your credit card payment for the domain(s) and invoice(s) noted below.

Domain

Invoice # Invoice date Invoice amount

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(mywebsitename).org

16423974 2/3/2011

$18.95

Card #:(No credit card info was here since I have never done business with them.)

Exp Date: 0915 (None of my credit cards have this expiration date.)

We were unable to process this card for the following reason:

Restraint - Paymentech Code: 806

We want to continue to support your Web hosting needs. To do so, we'll need you to provide an alternate method of payment so we can continue hosting your Web site.

To avoid any interruption of Web hosting service, please call Web.com at 1-800-932-4678 and select the billing option. Our business hours are Monday - Friday 8am to 8pm EST.

You may also update your billing information via our secure online customer support center by logging on to https://support.web.com.

We thank you for your investment in Web.com to date, and hope to hear from you soon about alternative payment methods so we can continue to support your Web hosting needs.

Web.com Customer Support

Please Note: This is an automatically generated e-mail message sent from an unmonitored e-mail box. Any e-mail sent in reply to this message will not be answered. However, if you have additional questions, please contact your Web.com Customer Support at https://support.web.com. Thank You.

I use 1&1 and Netfirms to host my web sites and I have NEVER had any business relationship with web.com EVER. I contacted both 1&1 and Netfirms and they both said that this email was fradulent. I completed a report to my local police computer crime unit, my state police wire fraud unit, the ICCC fraud unit and the FBI computer crime unit. These guys are bad news and should be avoided at all costs.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/03/2011 09:48 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/webcom/Jacksonville-Florida-32258/webcom-Attempted-credit-card-fraud-Jacksonville-Florida-690289. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on web.com

This turns out to be a misunderstanding.

AUTHOR: Harry Callahan - (United States of America)

We did have contact with Web.com in 2009 when my wife was in the process of transferring a domain name from web.com to another web hosting service. After that process was complete, we throught that our relationship with web.com was finished. It turns out, however the process of cancelling the hosting agreement with web.com was never fully completed due to a misunderstanding on both of our parts.

I received a phone call today from a representative of web.com and we determined that this was not an attempt to defraud anyone on any level and web.com has now closed the books on this account after mutual agreement between them and us.