Complaint Review: West Asset Management

• Reported By: Kris — Dallas Texas
West Asset Management
2703 U.S. 75 Sherman, Texas USA

West Asset Management Failure to validate debt Sherman Texas

My 2 year wireless plan was up and I contacted the provider to cancel my account. Not once in my two years with them did I have a late payment. Despite cancelling my plan, I still received bills for my wireless account which I no longer used. I called several times and was assured that the issue would be fixed and the outstanding bills would be cancelled.

Finally, the billing cycles stopped, but a notice appeared from West Asset Management claiming that I owed money for wireless bills that were long overdue. This was disturbing, because this issue had supposedly been resolved. Therefore, I decided to dispute this debt.

Within 5 days of West Asset Management's notice, I sent a letter to them requesting debt validation. According to the FDCPA, I may request this information within 30 days of notice. This letter was sent via certified mail and is documented as being received by WMA. NO RESPONSE or validation was ever given, yet WMA reported me to Experian a month later. I found this out when I went to apply for my FIRST student loan for my last semester before graduation. The loan was denied because of a "negative remark" on my credit report.

My credit score has always been excellent. I have never been late on a payments, and I don't take out credit/loans that I won't be able to pay back. I'm upset that things were handled this way and my rights according to the FDCPA were violated. At the very least, WMA could have attempted to validate this bogus debt before reporting it. I am currently in dispute with the major credit reporting agencies and have plenty of documents to support my dispute.

If I am not satisfied with the outcome of the dispute, I will be contacting the BBB, FTC, and filing a lawsuit against West Asset Management.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/17/2014 11:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/West-Asset-Management/Sherman-Texas-75090/West-Asset-Management-Failure-to-validate-debt-Sherman-Texas-1116513. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on West Asset Management