Complaint Review: westlake financial

• Reported By: shaedog — New Mexico United States of America
westlake financial
Los Angeles, California United States of America

westlake financial screws me over again Los Angeles California

*Author of original report: taken care of!!!

*Consumer Comment: What did your lawyer say?

I bought my car from them June 2008, by Aug 2009 had to file a complaint against them with the BBB, due to them harassing and lying about re-writing my contract with them.

(Fast forward to today) There is a law called the service mans civil relief act, this law states that if a person purchased their vehicle before they joined the military, the finance company legally has to drop their interest rate down to 6%, starting
the date enlisted, make any appropriate adjustments regarding the drop in the interest rate from that date forward.

In my case, I purchased the car June 2008 and in Sept 2009 my husband joined the army. (I just learned about this law July this year, so they are required to reimburse me interest I paid over 6% since sept 09 ). So July 8th I called westlake and informed them about this law, they requested that I send in a copy of my husbands orders and they would make the adjustments. So I did, they said they received them, whatever.  I called back the following week, to see if it was lowered, they informed me that the interest rate had been lowered to 6% back in march 2010, which is funny, because I never called then to request it
be lowered, and I know they would not do it on their own. We argued about that for a while I said I have the detailed billing history you just sent me last month that states 13% interest rate. She told me that it would be corrected in 24 to 48 hours. I have called them about 3x a week since july 8th and each time, I get transferred to different people telling me different
things.

Finally on july 22nd I reached some one that told me it was lowered to 6%, I asked what my new monthly payments were, he informed me that since I was 188 days past due, the minimum I owed was one thousand something dollars.  I said how am I 6 months past due when I am set up on auto debit every month? He said it was a glitch in their system from back in 2009 when they rewrote my contract & it was showing I was late EVERY month for the last two years, and getting charged a $14 late fee every month! I never knew about this because I have online statements, and they never match up to what is actually going on (but thats another story).

So I got a lawyer, because after reviewing the detailed billing history they sent me, they were just screwing me over. There were
months that they charged me $90 and $76 for late fees when I have direct debit set up, every other month was a $14 late fee, for TWO years!

As far as today, they have made some adjustments to the account, but they absolutely REFUSE to adjust my account for the past two years that I have paid the 13% when it should have been 6% (which adds up to about $1,500 in adjustments they owe me).  They are stating that they did not receive the certified letter from my lawyer (sent on aug 4th) and the last person I talked to as of today, told me that they do not make adjustments to payments that were made in the past!
WTF!!!! So I have to get up with my lawyer again, to see what steps we need to take for them to get their s*it together.
And I am contemplating filing another complaint with the BBB against them.

Bottom line, THEY SUCK!!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/16/2011 08:35 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/westlake-financial/Los-Angeles-California-/westlake-financial-screws-me-over-again-Los-Angeles-California-766125. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on westlake financial

taken care of!!!

AUTHOR: shaedog - (United States of America)

I did fit all the criteria to correctly have it done, trust me i made sure before dealing with them! after they claimed to have never received the first letter, i had talked to the lawyer, and he said that he would send out 1 more letter outlining the fines and penalties for them not following the law. With in 1 week i looked at my account, and all the appropriate adjustments were made! first time i was EVER pleasantly surprised by west lake LOL!!!

What did your lawyer say?

AUTHOR: Robert - (USA)

The SCRA does provide an interest adjustment, but you have to meet the criteria.  Based on your report, if the loan was in your name only you are probably SOL.  Also, if you husband is a signatory on the loan AFTER he went into military service, he is probably SOL.

What has your attorney said about this?  Have you considered seeking assistance from the nearest JAG office?  They deal with SCRA issues all the time and are probably more knowledgeable about the SCRA than a civilian attorney.