Complaint Review: Westwood College Online

• Submitted: Thu, January 31, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, January 31, 2008

• Reported By:Gary Indiana
Westwood College Online
7350 North Broadway Denver, Colorado U.S.A.

Westwood College Online Lied to misdirected and taken advantage of Denver Colorado

I saw Westwood's TV commercials and decided to give them a try. I was tired of being a correctional officer and the fantastic unbelievably high-paying job that Westwood promised looked too good to ignore. After all if this school has this many TV commercials they have to be legit right?

I attended Westwood College Online for one and a half years. When I talked to an admissions rep. I was assured over and over again that my student loan would cover my costs. I was told again and again that I would not have to pay anything other than my student loan.When I started classes,however,I was told that I would have to make monthly payments as well.

One of the warning signs that I wish I had headed was that my student advisor changed three times within the 1 1/2 years I was in classes. The school is also very disorganized. Procedures and policies changed constantly sometimes from one term to another. The server was very unpredictable. Sometime their server would seize up right when I was trying to submit an assignment - a small text file not a gigantic multi-megabyte file.

After 1 1/2 years my financial aid ran out. I tried to transfer to Devry but Devry told me that they would not accept Westwood's credits. This made me very paranoid : If no one will accept Westwood's credits how useful can a degree from this "school" possibly be? After doing research over the past few weeks it seems that absolutely NO school will accept Westwood's credits

After my financial aid ran out I was blocked from attending classes. However someone in a different department kept emailing me and telling me that I hadn't submitted any assignments in xx amount of time and if I didn't submit any assignments by xx date I would be administratively withdrawn from my classes. I wasn't submitting any assignments because I wasn't able to - I was blocked from even logging into any of my classes. Total lack of communication between departments.

I talked to financial aid several times and emailed my student adviser and neither of these people said anything to me about owing Westwood any money. In fact financial aid told me that classes were just under $15,000 per year. When I couldn't find a loan I gave up and decided to remain a correctional officer - I was very disenchanted with Westwood anyway. I wasn't happy about having to pay my student loan on my current salary but it was obvious that I wasn't going to get the fantastic job that Westwood promises in their TV commercials even if I did find financing.

After a while Westwood sent me a link to an exit interview. The link was broken...

I didn't hear from Westwood for at least six months when they suddenly decided that I owed them just under $16,000. I don't know about you but if someone owed me $16,000 it would NOT take me six months to realize it. It was almost as if they realized that I wasn't coming back so they decided to squeeze as much out of me as possible. And to make matters even more confusing every bill they sent me said that I was being billed for year three. How can I possibly be getting a bill for year three when I haven't even finished year two I wondered.

I finally filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. At first Westwood just kept saying "You owe us. Pay now" They submitted what they have the nerve to call an itemized summary of my account. The only thing on this bill is "tuition" "online fees" "software" "books" "toolkit" and what they received from Sallie Mae each term. No where in this "itemized" bill does it say what classes I took and how much I was charged for each class. I'm also still trying to figure out what these "online fees" are;no one ever told me any thing about any online fees.

I requested a list itemizing every class that I took and how much I was charged for each class. I also requested an explanation of the online fees. Westwood responded by sending the same "itemized" bill that they had sent before and they still have not explained what these online fees are. I also requested a copy of every form that Westwood has bearing my signature. I haven't received this yet either. If this is a legitimate debt then why is this simple request so difficult?

I really wish I had researched Westwood before I applied but I believed their commercials and got pulled in...

Darrell
Gary, Indiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/31/2008 05:23 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Westwood-College-Online/Denver-Colorado-80221-3653/Westwood-College-Online-Lied-to-misdirected-and-taken-advantage-of-Denver-Colorado-305012. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Westwood College Online