• Report: #1101990

• Reported By: paul — big bear lake California
Whirlpool
PO Box 1597 no street name Johnson City, Tennessee USA

Whirlpool Hot water tank pilot light challenge Johnson City Tennessee

I purchased a 40 gallon hot water heater for one tenant to replace an older 30 gallon one.  I was at Lowes and made what I thought was an informed purchase.  I guess I really did not do my homework.  I purchased the tank and had my licensed plumber install.  Within one month the pilot light kept going out.  No problem, I went and relit and on my way.  After about the 5th time, I called the plumber and asked what was up.  They came out, did something and the unit worked well for about 3 months.  This past week Friday night at 9pm a call from the tenant- no hot water.

Since the original purchase, I now live 2 hours away.....  so off to the property to relight the pilot light and check out what is going on.  The pilot lighted ok and I was watching the flame, all yellow.  Started to read the user guide for trouble shooting.  Called the plumber.   Then found multiple reviews of poor product.  I figured to call the 800 number to see if I could get additional help.  Depending upon your point of view- as a consumer the worst representative- but from a company perspective probably the best as she was a brick wall and provided nothing but no answers and would not even give an address to send a formal complaint.

As someone detailed, the rep kept stating owners "manual" and all I had was an installation guide.  I asked if it was the same- she could not answer clearly.  In hindsight you realize that she has had zero hands on with this item.  I asked at least 5 times to slow down and be patient with me as I was attempting to follow along.  No such luck.  While I will give everyone the opportunity to assist, on this account, it was no go.  The rep was just starting to yell and kept speaking at a million miles a minute and told me to call technician as I was to stupid and did not have any technical knowledge.  She then went on to state that the filter needs to be cleaned every 3 months and it was their recommendations for this.

Regardless, the tank that I replaced was about 8 years old and never went out.  I just needed more hot water at one time.  Talk about a bad choice that I made I am now having a less than one year old hot water tank changed out to a bradford white so that I don't have a midnight call for no hot water.

I asked about taking the item back no- no way service calls only with a charge, replacement no way.

I own a small apt building and do renovations on units.  I purchase multiple appliances and have many whirlpool products.  Guess what...  No more will whirlpool overall be part of those choices.  This includes stoves, refrigerators, microwaves, dishwashers, hot water tanks.  I hope whirlpool is satisfied with their choice of service representatives as the individual behavior has influenced my choice.  I am sharing the with all my buddies in the building industry for sure.  Companies generally respond to lack of money on sales to step up.

No more whirlpool for me.  When a company can't employ someone to help instead of telling a consumer to go to ....  Perhaps they need an undercover boss to see how poorly folks are treated.  The reps are big bullies. Nice to be labeled in todays day and age.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/25/2013 08:50 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Whirlpool/Johnson-City-Tennessee-37605/Whirlpool-Hot-water-tank-pilot-light-challenge-Johnson-City-Tennessee-1101990. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Whirlpool