• Report: #1091967

• Updated: Tue, October 15, 2013

• Reported By:
Whole Foods
500 E Ogden Ave Hinsdale, Illinois USA

Whole Foods - Tony Rizzo (Hinsdale, IL) Lair, Angry, AntiChristian Hinsdale Illinois

*Author of original report: I was wrong and I am sorry

*General Comment: Shawn is a Coward and the angry one

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: whoops

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: what really happened

*Consumer Comment: I concur

*Consumer Comment: Did I miss something?

Actual email from Whole Foods to my Church.   BTW, we had permission, documentation, and were invited to pick up food for the homeless shelter our church supports.  Tony asked for $100 to provide the donation, then passed it off as a joke and said only $50.   I gave him a $20 tip for about 6 bags of bagels, some pears, and four bags of pasteries all a day or two old.  Tony then asked what year my truck was, a Navigator, and stated "people with an $80k SUV should be more supportive of the working poor."

I have the list, Tony, you even stated we were on the list.

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Tony Rizzo (MW HIN) <Tony.Rizzo@wholefoods.com>
Cc: Frankie Ortega <Frankie.Ortega@wholefoods.com
Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2013 11:37 AM
Subject: Donations from Whole Foods Hinsdale

I just spoke to Anne, our marketer, and she informed me that she never told your group that you were ‘on the list’.
I am the person responsible for coordinating donations, and our roster is beyond full. We have two groups on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday. And individual groups on Tuesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday. I am not going to tell my regular recipients, some of whom I’ve dealt with for more than 5 years, that they have to give up a day every other week.
Your representatives, Shawn (sic) and Mary came today, and basically seemed as if they wanted to ‘shop’ through the donation racks.
My other groups take EVERYTHING. Bread, produce, baked goods, deli items, whatever we have to give. The ones that don’t are placed on the shared days. Brookfield Zoo, for example, only takes Produce, so I have another group come to take all the grocery, bakery, deli, specialty items on the days they come.
I rather resent the fact that your people come in dropping names of who told them it was okay, when the people they named say ‘WHO?’ All I got for advance notice was my Associate, Frankie, telling me that Shawn called and said he spoke to Anne—Anne knows to consult ME, whenever a group wants to be put on our list of donation recipients.
 It’s a bit unethical—not what I’d expect from a ‘Christian’ organization.
Tony Rizzo
   500 E. Ogden Ave.
  Hinsdale, IL 60521
(630)986-8500 (x 229)
"passionate about good food, and
the pleasure of sharing it with others"

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/14/2013 06:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Whole-Foods/Hinsdale-Illinois-60521/Whole-Foods-Tony-Rizzo-Hinsdale-IL-Lair-Angry-AntiChristian-Hinsdale-Illinois-1091967. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Whole Foods

I was wrong and I am sorry

AUTHOR: Shawn1one - ()

I, Shawn,  am the one who wrote the original ripoff post, and I want to say that I truely appologize to everyone involved. I take full responsibility, and I have contacted Whole Foods corporate, and will contact the Whole Foods Union to see if I can get this guy his job back.

After going two nights without sleep as a first time volunteer coordinator of an overnight homeless shelter, I received the email in question. I happened to receive this email after two Red Bulls, and as I was going into the gym. I didn't work out, instread tried to call Tony, who was not there, and then I called Whole Foods and was directed to someone who told me to talk to another person, and that person offered to take a message. I called corporate, and got voice mail, and I called the regional office and talked to someone who said "write me an email".  I was angry, perhaps too pumped up on caffeine, and became out of line, and over reacted.

I wrote the email, still didn't feel satisfied, felt ignored, and offended. So I made the mistake to embelish the truth and post on this site. I wanted Whole Foods would take me more seriously, so I posted it on here.

They called back the next day, and then I attempted to delete this posting. It turns out it is hard to do, and RipoffReport has a mitigation program, and I am attempting to erase this whole thing.

I have discoved Tony is a good guy, and did not ask for a tip, did not see the truck, and it wasn't even my truck. I want everyone to know he did not do any of these things. I was mistakenly told we were on the list, but for just that Saturday morning, because a regular could not show up. I never intended to get him fired. I will try to get his job back.  I have been guilty in the past, including this incident, of overeacting to prove a point. My behavior was inmature, wrong, and hurtfull. I apologize, and I will help try to alleviate the situation in whatever way I can.

It is important to note that I have been unemployeed for a year, and know the pain and frustration of dedicating yourself to an employer, only to lose that job due to circumstances out of your control. I am sorry to Tony and his family, and I hope Whole Foods can accept my appologies for defaming a good dedicated employee.

#2 General Comment

Shawn is a Coward and the angry one

AUTHOR: Erinn - ()

Dear Shawn,

I do believe you are the angry individual. That you would feel the need to ruin another persons reputation and career over such petty things.  I find it funny that you could not even sign your name to a report that ended Tony's career.  If you are such a "Christian" how could you make up lies about someone you do not even know.

The person that you created lies about is a father of 2 childern and a step daughter.  Let me change that the Man that you created lies about  Worked! 2 jobs to support the family that he loves. He had almost perfect attendance for the 6 years he worked for Whole foods.  Only time he missed was for his children.  The Man that you fabricated a story about has more integrity than anyone I have ever met.   Angry and liar do not fit into the equation of Tony Rizzo.  He loved his job and I SAW the Pride he took in where he worked.  He took that program and in his spare time actually reached out to other people.There virtually WAS NO donations progtam!  I would love to see the list you have. The majority of that list hapens to be churches that he reached out too.  I would love to be there when you explain to your "god" how you ended a Man's career. a little more than 2 months before Christmas. An HONEST Man of the "Working Poor" with your lies!  Even now he is not Angry. I have not heard him raise his voice Once!  But I am! Are you so Christian that you are going to help my 4 month old infant when he needs food and diapers?  Because of YOUR Cowardly Lies!!! It Has effected my family and Your lies were against the father of my Son.  The Father that works just as hard as my parents, and that says TONS.  I look forward to meeting the pastor of your church. Perhaps we could all meet with your Pastor? I will be forwarding a copy of this post to your church's e-mail. Not too scared to sign my name. Erinn Harper

WE have the list. You are NOT on it, and you never WERE.

#3 REBUTTAL Individual responds

AUTHOR: Tony - ()

I got the date wrong---though the calendar date is purely irrelevant. And libel is illegal.

#4 REBUTTAL Individual responds

what really happened

AUTHOR: Tony - ()

On Saturday, Oct. 16th. Shawn arrived at Whole Foods. The fullness of our donations schedule has already been outlined in the reprinted e-mail. I was on lunch break--was seated in my office. Came out at their arrival--never saw WHAT they arrived IN. Could have been unicycles or parachutes for all I knew (or cared.)

Since they were not on the list (which is in my hard drive, and posted on the wall of my office), I decided since somebody apparently told them they could come in, I would give them SOMETHING, as a goodwill gesture.

I placed three flats of strawberries on a cart--they proceeded to argue between themselves about whether or not they wanted them. Shawn then asked if we "had any Scotch to donate" as "alot of the people we serve in PADS are alcoholics"--that was passed as a joke, by him. I didn't find it funny.

So, they settled on what they would take, and gave me a form to fill out. They left. No money was EVER mentioned, or changed hands.

My own father and brother are pastors, and I have served food to the homeless with them. While I am not religious myself, to dub me 'anti-Christian' is ridiculous. Nor am i angry, aside from at the blatant misrepresentation of the facts presented by this guy.

"THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS"...maybe you should ask your pastor about that one, Shawn--sure he could clarify it for you. Have a nice day!

note that i didn't name the church, as it is not their fault. But they know who they are

I concur

AUTHOR: Stacey - ()

Whole Foods is not a "food bank" - they are a business and have expenses just like any other.  I don't shop there as well because not my type of store but remember this - your group is just a drop in bucket of all the other groups they contribute to so be grateful that you got anything especially with you attitude.  As for your response from "Tony" what you state is HEARSAY therefore who knows if you are telling the truth or not.

US working poor (and those who can't find jobs) struggle everyday to pay bills and survive - your crack about your "expensive" car is pathetic.

Did I miss something?

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

If anything it sounds like YOU are the ones who are doing the RipOff.  From the e-mail you posted, it sounds like because they wouldn't give you a space to come pick up food you all of the sudden got your "nose in a twist" and think that they are somehow ripping you off.

Sorry..don't see it.  Because it appears they already have 1-2 groups coming EVERY day of the week.

I personally do not shop at Whole Foods, but in seeing what they do for the community perhaps I may have to give them a look.  Thank's for posting this "RipOff".