rank

• Submitted: Fri, December 07, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, January 11, 2013

• Reported By: wkc — Chicago Illinois United States of America
www.auction.com

auction.com They can keep extending the auction close date, thereby keeping your deposit as long as they want! Internet

*UPDATE Employee: Auction.com Policy

*Author of original report: The nightmare continues

*UPDATE Employee: Auction.com Policies

I placed a bid for a property on auction.com.  The auction was to end on a specific date.  Two day later I find that the auction was extended.  When I contacted the company to state that it hardly seemed fair to accept a bid and my deposit then extend the auction over and over.  Thereby virtually keeping my deposit for as long as possible.

Here is my conversation with them:

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to Vicky.
Vicky:  Welcome to our Live Chat service.

Vicky:  At the conclusion of our chat, you will have the opportunity to complete a customer survey. Thank you in advance, your feedback is very important to us.

Kimberlee Cape:  Vicky, I placed a bid in an auction that was clearly to end at noon on December 9th. Today I find that the auction has been extended to the 12th and that my bid is now a Pre-bid. This is not acceptable.

Vicky:  who stated your bid was a pre auction bid?

Kimberlee Cape:  It was not placed as a pre auction bid, but now on the website the auction date has been extended and the site states pre-bid now.

Kimberlee Cape:  My concern is that the auction date was moved after I placed a bid. I don't see how that is fair.

Vicky:  we had a lot of auctions that got extended

Vicky:  what is the property address of interest

Kimberlee Cape:  (Address deleted). So this means that after I have posted a $2,500 deposit, you can just keep changing the closing date of the auction forever, earning interest on my money?

Vicky:  It will be just a moment, I am still looking into that for you.

Vicky:  our records show you are the current highest bidder at (Amount deleted) this is not a pre auction bid

Kimberlee Cape:  The website has a pre-bid button active. I still need an answer to the question of the auction end date being moved when there are active bids???

Kimberlee Cape:  If you can do this, what would prevent you from extending the end date over and over again.

Vicky:  Please view the terms and conditions, it states the seller can extend an auction

Kimberlee Cape:  I had no idea this was common practice. I will post this conversation on ripoff report, pissed customer and anywhere else on the internet I can find so that people know that their deposits can be held forever.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/07/2012 10:19 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/wwwauctioncom/internet/auctioncom-They-can-keep-extending-the-auction-close-date-thereby-keeping-your-deposit-979064. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on www.auction.com

Auction.com Policy

AUTHOR: Auction.com - (United States of America)

Dear Kimberlee,

Thank you for reaching out with an update on your situation. We apologize for any frustration you may have experienced in working with our team. It is important we discuss this further to come to a resolution. Please contact our Director of Customer Service, Peter Chevalier, at 800-793-6107 so we can be of assistance to you
throughout this process.

Sincerely,

Auction.com

The nightmare continues

AUTHOR: wkc - (United States of America)

I wanted to give everybody an update.  I did win the bid on the house.  Auction.com sent the documents that were to be electronically signed, which I was to sign and submit with proof of funds and transfer earnest money to the title company within 2 hours!  I refused to electronically sign the documents, as their program allows you to sign and initial the document..BUT YOU CANNOT MAKE ANY CHANGES!!!!.

I called and told them I would print out the documents and fax them back.  I did print, sign and fax back the documents along with proof of funds and wire transfer the deposit within the two hour timeline.  The only clause in the contract I changes was the one allowing the bank to push out the closing date in 30 day increments for as long as they wished.  I did not want to hold up my deposit through a date certain.

I have proof of the fax and auction.com confirmed receipt over the phone.  So now I just needed to wait to hear from the bank whether they would accept the offer...right?   HA

On December 21st, I received yet another set of documents from auction.com again to be signed electronically, even though I specifically told them we would not sign electronically.  I called the company to find out why they were sending all new documents?  They said they never got mine back,  as the conversation went further, the agent forgot himself and said there were issues with the documents they got back....I said, "I thought you just told me you didn't receive the documents"  I just caught you in a lie.  The agent said they did get the documents but they found errors with them.

I told them I'm a real estate professional for over 20 years...what defects were they referring to.  They said the documents had been changed.  I told them the only change I made was to not allow the bank to sit on giving me an answer for longer than 30 days.  This was to be an all cash sale...no reason the bank couldn't decide in 15 days!  After a long drawn out conversation with me threatening legal action, the agent finally told me they would submit the documents to the bank.  I confirmed that that would give the bank until January 11th to decide on the offer.  The agent agreed.  All good right?   HA

Today, January 8th, I receive yet another set of documents from docusign that were again exactly the same as the documents I sent them in December.  I phone auction.com and was told that our offer had still not been sent to the bank.. Granted now a month has gone by since we won the bid!  I told them that the contract we signed and submitted called for a closing date that had expired and we just wanted our deposit back.  The agent said somebody would call me back...I'm still waiting.

Meantime, I called the number listed on my documents for the title company...(989) 631-2596...the number is DISCONNECTED!!!  If this doesn't say scam to you, I don't know what does.

Auction.com Policies

AUTHOR: Auction.com - (United States of America)

Dear Kimberlee,

As part of Auction.coms policy and to protect the privacy of both our clients and customers, we are unable to address your concern in an online public forum. However, we would be more than happy to discuss your concerns and attempt to assist in a resolution. You may contact our Director of Customer Service, Peter Chevalier at 800-793-6107. Please understand that we are not trying to ignore your issue, but looking to protect your privacy and the privacy of our clients.

Sincerely, Auction.com