• Report: #1111989

• Updated: Tue, December 31, 2013

• Reported By: Wyzantdeciphered — SSDY Illinois
Wyzant
1714 N Damen Ave, Suite 3N Chicago, Illinois USA

Wyzant Wyzant: Why having high ranked tutors is bad for business Chicago Illinois

My passion is in education. I quit a c-level corporate at 24 to start teaching, dismayed by the greed in corporate cultures.

I had signed up with Wyzant to "get started". I quickly became one of the highest reviewed tutors in my area. I was the only one in my area with a perfect 5 star review for all of my lessons. Suddenly, without warning, one of my student's parents gets a call from their representatives. Wyzant billed her close to double what I had authorized on wyzant. I protested the charge on behalf of the parent, and they literally tried every trick in the book to close my account, and eventually found a clause to do so. I was confused as to why, as I was the top ranked tutor in their area.

After going back and forth with their representatives, I searched through their site and realized that many of the other high ranked tutors in my area had also been removed. I asked a friend through a back channel what happened:Wyzant makes little to no money off of good tutors. They make money off of new tutors.

They offer "bulk purchase discounts" ranging from 5% to 15%. With the average student saving 7% (they claim) Calculated with a 2.5% CC processing fee:

• First 20 hours @ $35/hour: 10.68 commission/hour. Wyzant takes $213.5 in this stage.
  • Next 20-50 hours @ $40/hour: 10.2 commission/hour. Wyzant takes $306 in this stage.
  • Next 50-200 hours @ 45/hour: 9.22 commission/hour. Wyzant takes $1383.75 in this stage.
  • Next 200-400 hours @ 50/hour: 7.75 commission/hour. Wyzant takes $1500 in this stage.

Before you reach the 20% commission mark, they take around $3.453.25

But what happens when you become a "great tutor"? Parents buy larger packages (15% discount). Wyzant takes only 2.5% (20% - 15% discount - 2.5% cc fees)

• Hypothetically, Next 400-800 hours @ 80/hour, wyzant takes only $2/hour. The next 400 hours, Wyzant takes only $800.

They sprinkle a few high ranked tutors in with all of the rest of the "new" tutors. (probably/hypothetically ones who do not encourage parents to purchase discount packages) Its saddening. The one reason why I left corporate was greed, and I end up right back where I started. Very sad... SSDY

TLDR: Having a high performance teachers on Wyzant is bad for business.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/31/2013 05:08 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Wyzant/Chicago-Illinois-60647/Wyzant-Wyzant-Why-having-high-ranked-tutors-is-bad-for-business-Chicago-Illinois-1111989. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Wyzant