Complaint Review: 24 Hour Fitness

• Reported By: San Diego California
  • 24 Hour Fitness
    4405 La Jolla Village Dr
    San Diego, California

24 Hour fitness contract Gotcha. I went in October 10th to cancel my membership. They told me I would still be billed on October 15th. Even though when I signed up I paid first and last month. They said this is because my contract requires me to give them a 30 day notice before cancelling my account. After speaking with a lawyer even with a contract he says this is in violation of US law regarding service agreements. They need to refund my last months fees and possibly even the prorated fees from the 10th - 15th.

Mark
San Diego, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/10/2008 02:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/24-hour-fitness/san-diego-california-92121/24-hour-fitness-24-hour-gym-membership-san-diego-california-380148. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
3Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Satisfactory Resolution

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

They payed back my last months plus stopped the next months charge. This was after writing to the better business bureau.

Satisfactory Resolution

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

After complaining to the Better Business Bureau 24 hour fitness has refunded my pro-rated last months payment to the day I quit and stopped the additional month charge. This is a good solution but the best would be if they changed there policies to line up with the law. 2 cases were settled outside of court in 2006 and 2007 for the same reason. If someone took this all the way to court it would be fixed for everyone and their policies would have to be changed.

Again at least they will settle with you if you complain about this unfair cancellation policy.

It Is Not A Service Agreement

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

Your 24 hour fitness membership is NOT a service agreement. It is a membership agreement. As such, the rules you cite do not apply. A service agreement would be like a maintenance contract for your computer, or your copier, or if you have a particular service like plumbing or the like on a monthly retainer.

I have read the agreement and it's pretty clear regarding the 30 day notice. If you have a lawyer telling you a membership agreement is the same thing as a service agreement - it's time to find another lawyer - this time someone who is competent and gives correct advice. Best of luck to you.