Complaint Review: 5/3 Bank - Fifth Third Bank

• Submitted: Thu, October 01, 2009
  • Updated: Thu, October 01, 2009
  • Reported By: Dean — Grand Rapids Michigan U.S.A.
  • 5/3 Bank - Fifth Third Bank
    www.53.com
    Internet
    United States of America
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

5/3 Bank - Fifth Third Bank, Fifth Third Complaint, Internet

I had been a customer of Fifth Third Bank for approximately 8 years. The problem started when they froze my home equity loan. I had access to $50K in cash until and was ready to make an real estate purchase. I spoke with the lender at Firth Third and they things were set but then I got a letter in the mail saying my account had been frozen. Not such a big deal because a lot of banks were doing it at that time and I could simply switch to a new bank. However, they would not refund the $65 annual fee associated with the account I had just paid on the account. They would not even pro rate it or anything.

Subsequently, I bounced a check inside an account where my home equity loan was the back up funds. Normally, if this would have happened it would have cost me $9.00 in a one time per transaction. Well I forgot that the account was closed and they ended up charging me $350+ dollars in fees. I verbally agreed to pay the two $39 charges and the two $9.00 overdraft charges and asked them to reconsider the remaining $260 in fees. I thought this was a reasonable request but the branch manager just let me know they would give me a $66 refund on the fees but that is all they could do.

I told him to keep his $66. I was going to close my account and inform as many people as I could about the situation.

If you stay with this bank or join this bank be prepared to be treated in a similar manner.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/01/2009 12:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/53-bank-fifth-third-bank/internet/53-bank-fifth-third-bank-fifth-third-complaint-internet-502705. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content