Complaint Review: AAA Mid Atlantic

• AAA Mid Atlantic

Wilmington, Delaware
    United States

AAA Mid Atlantic Bait and Switch

I’ve been a Triple A member for more than 10 years. I highly value my membership. I am a single woman living in Baltimore with no relatives closer than 90 miles away in Philadelphia. Triple A is my husband, my brother, my father, that reliable family member who comes to my assistance when I am stuck on the road. I am a poor woman living on Social Security disability and have never owned a new car. I currently own a 1996 Mercedes E320. It is the latest model I’ve ever owned. I purchase the premier membership plan because I regularly drive between Philadelphia to visit family, and Washington, DC for classes. A plan that does not cover the first 100 miles is useless to me.

My renewal date is September 30. Iin mid –September I went on line and renewed. I followed the links that popped up when I logged in. I thought the price was a bit low, but thought maybe because I am a repeat customer there is some kind of discount being applied. In any event, I thought I had “renewed” my premier membership until last night. My car ran hot enroute to class in Jessup, MD. I stopped on the highway, added antifreeze and oil and made my way to class. My plan was to call Triple A a half hour before class ended for a tow back to Baltimore to my mechanic, Royal Motors on Belair Road. When I called, I was informed that the first 5 miles were covered but I would have to pay for the rest. I was sure there had been an error because I always purchase the premier membership.

It turned out that, without informing me or asking me if I wanted a different plan,  my membership had been downgraded because, “I used Triple A services too many times during the previous year.” How could that ever be so? I am only covered for 5 tows and after that I have to pay out of pocket. So how could I possibly use more than what I paid for? I did have an especially rough year particularly between March and June of 2017. My Mercedes was totaled on March 7, 2017. It took 2.5 months to have it rebuilt. My insurance only covered 30 days worth of rentals. I purchased clunkers to get me back and forth until my car was ready. At least twice, if not three times, I had to call for a tow for those clunkers

I spoke with a supervisor who told me nothing could be done. I was stuck with a classic membership. I told her it was of no use to me and she could cancel it and refund my money. She said she would cancel it but I would not get a refund.

I am appealing to Bernard Koch, Mid Atlantic's Chief Executive Officer, to do the right thing. I am a long time premier customer and wish to remain a premier customer. It is the only level of membership that that provides coverage for the distances I regularly drive. My membership renewed on October 1. I was within 30 days and had not used Triple A services so if a premier membership is out of my reach please do the right thing and return my money if you cannot offer me a membership that is useful to me. I live on an income of $1,050 per month. Paying for a membership I cannot use is not something I can afford.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/01/2017 12:01 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/aaa-mid-atlantic/wilmington-delaware/aaa-mid-atlantic-bait-and-switch-1409809. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content