Complaint Review: AEP Ohio

• Reported By: dpat — columbus Ohio United States of America
  • AEP Ohio

Internet
    United States of America

This report is more in the way of a question to the user community:

Our small business changed locations in mid-2007.  Last month, after AEP conducted an audit, it was determined that the unpaid bill from the previous location had not transferred over to the new location (and new account #, although still the same company name and E.I.D.).  According to AEP, the billing statements for ~ 5 months prior to the move had been returned as "undeliverable."  AEP sent us a bill for 100s of $$ with a notification that it had scheduled a cut-off of service within weeks.

I don't know why the P.O. couldn't deliver our statements -- or how we failed to catch the fact that we were not receiving our electric bill -- but I find it shocking that a business (even a utility) could demand payment after 2 1/2 years of neglect.  So my question, simply, is:  Can they?

[I know that if I produced an invoice for a customer after the passage of so much time, said customer would likely tell me to pound sand.  Timeliness matters, or so I always thought.  In all fairness to AEP, they were willing to work out a payment plan so that we weren't hit with a $1000 bill in one month...but I'm still irked by the sloppiness and have a hard time believing that they're within their rights to come after us after so much time has passed.  Any responses would be appreciated as I really do not know the regs on this one.]

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/22/2010 01:40 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/aep-ohio/internet/aep-ohio-billed-2-12-years-after-the-fact-internet-573219. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

1Author
2Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Just checked

AUTHOR: dpat2b - (United States of America)

Thanks to all for your responses.

Just looked it up

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

Here's the applicable statutes for Ohio :

Ohio Statutes of Limitation

Written or oral account: 6 years, (O.R.C. 2305.07).

Written contract: 15 years, (O.R.C. 2305.06). Oral contract: 6 years (O.R.C. 2305.07).

Note payable at a definite time: 6 years, (O.R.C. 1303 .16(A)); (2)).

Demand note: 6 years after the date on which demand is made or 10 years if no demand is made and neither principal nor interest has been paid over that time (O.R.C. 1303.16(B)).

Dishonored check or draft: 3 years after dishonor, (O.R.C. 1303.16 (C)).

Varies by state

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

The time that they have to collect an unpaid bill will vary by state.  For most states that I'm familiar with, 2.5 yrs is well within the legal statute of limitations.  Most states vary between 4 yrs. and 10 yrs.  Check your state's statutes to be sure.