Complaint Review: American Home Maintenance - Orangutan

• American Home Maintenance - Orangutan
    2922 South Roosevelt Street, Tempe, AZ
    Tempe, Arizona
    United States of America

American Home Maintenance - Orangutan Orangutan Air Conditioning Rip Off and Dishonest Charges Tempe, Arizona

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: R-22 prices and Maintenance Agreements

So we bought the 2 year maintenance program and was supposed to get 50% off refrigeration charges under our contract. They filled our unit with 2 pounds of R-22 for a charge of 80 bucks per pound. This didn't seem right so I called. I was connected to Paul at Orangutan Air Conditioning and first asked how much does R-22 generally cost... he tells me about $50-$80 per pound.

So I told him that I received service this morning on my AC unit and under contract was supposed to receive a 50% off discount, but my bill reflects $160 at a full price of $80 per pound (since i bought 2 pounds).

After he puts me on hold he comes back to tell me he was mistaken on the price quote he just gave me and that they now sell R-22 at $160 per pound... so I already received my discount.

Can you believe this? To make matters worse, the technician who serviced us
tried to sell us another maintenance contract! These crooks operate out of Tempe AZ. Beware!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/19/2011 01:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/american-home-maintenance-orangutan/tempe-arizona-85282/american-home-maintenance-orangutan-orangutan-air-conditioning-rip-off-and-dishonest-cha-778606. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
0Consumer
1Employee/Owner

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

R-22 prices and Maintenance Agreements

AUTHOR: Paul at Orangutan Home Service - (United States of America)

I'm Paul from Orangutan Home Service. I do remember speaking to this customer on the phone, and, in our defense, the customer asked how much it would cost him per pound if he needed R-22 refrigerant. After checking with a supervisor and going over his account information, I was told because he has an active maintenance agreement he would be getting it at a 50% discounted price.

I relayed the information to the customer and advised him that it would be $50 - $80 a lb. (but I did not tell the customer that that was the price AFTER his discount. The customer was not happy when we charged him $80 per pound, but the going price for a lb. of R-22 Freon from our company at that time for a customer without a maintenance agreement was around $160 pe lb., at the same time confirming that you did receive the discount.

Furthermore, R-22 refrigerant has been on a schedule to be completely removed from use and replaced with R-410a systems. Ever since this started on January 1st, 2004, the price of R-22 has steadily climbed over the months and years and R-22 cost is not going anywhere but up. As of January 1st 2012, because of the phase-out schedule, the price of R-22 has increased to 400% of the original price. So, though the customer may have thought that the price seemed steep, he may have been unaware of the circumstances surrounding R-22, it's phasing out, and dramatic price increase.

If I, on behalf of my employer, am guilty of anything here, it is that I did not inform the customer the original price I gave him, "$50-$80" was AFTER the 50% discount. This customer was not charged at a differently that any other Maintenance Agreement holding customer at our company, and I apologize for not being crystal clear over the phone. I was only giving the customer the price per pound that he would have to pay being that he already had a contract with us.

-Paul