Complaint Review:

REBUTTAL BOX™ | Respond to this Report! | Consumer Comment

Corporate Advocacy Program

Set the record straight:
Arbitration Program

American Home Shield (AHS) is a deceptive and disorganized company. Recently, I had plumbing leaks and filed a claim to have them repaired. The warranty company dispatched a local plumbing company to my home to assess the issue. It was then that I learned my contract required me to remove "obstructions" from the walls, including cabinets and plumbing, for repairs to be completed. I had to disconnect the plumbing to the only sinks in my home and move sink base cabinets to the middle of the floor.

After doing this, the plumber cut holes into the walls in two different rooms and left, claiming to return with supplies. Instead, I received a call from AHS requesting an additional $300.00 to complete one of the repairs. The warranty company did not have any information on the second repair and alleged that I did not report both issues at the same time. I have e-mail confirmations to prove otherwise. If I had not employed a contractor and a separate plumbing company, I would have been forced to pay additional fees for one repair and go days or weeks with a disconnected sink from the second leak. . [continued below]....

....

AHS claimed the removal of obstructions and the holes cut into the walls were a part of their diagnostic process. The amount of damage caused from these actions should not be required to determine if coverage is available.

I spoke with several representatives and supervisors but received no resolution. I filed a complaint against AHS with the Attorney General's offices in Alabama and Tennessee, along with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). AHS has nearly 6,000 complaints with the BBB regarding poor customer service, poor quality of work, and deceptive warranty coverage. The BBB has closed my complaint, noting that I was not satisfied with AHS' response. One attorney directed me to the Attorney General in my state, but his office forwarded my complaint to the Alabama Department of Insurance, which offered no solution.

In my correspondence with AHS, they continued to repeat Section E-1 and Section H-8 of their contract. Section E-1 mentions the removal of obstructions, listing "built-in appliances, systems, cabinets, and floor coverings" as obstructions. Section H-8 states that "AHS is not responsible or liable for the cost of construction, carpentry, or other modifications made necessary by the existing equipment or installing different equipment." The latter section can be used to deny any and all claims filed with AHS. A warranty is pointless if it does not cover construction, carpentry, and modifications.

Consumers should be made aware of the legalese in their contracts, so they can make an informed decision about whether or not they want to continue paying for coverage they may not have. Many are blindsided when they are in dire situations, which explains the high volume of complaints.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/29/2015 06:55 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/american-home-shield/nationwide/american-home-shield-deceptive-advertisment-nationwide-1276929. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Home Shield