Report: #1251960

• American Home Shield

Nationwide
    USA

American Home Shield Useless Home Warranty Nationwide Nationwide

I purchased a home warranty plan from American Home shield when I bought my home.  Unfortunately, I have had to make 3 service requests in the last month.

First, we called regarding our AC not working properly.  Our thermostat stay set at 72 and during the day the temp in our house rises above 80 degrees and does not fall back to 72 until after midnight.  The technician came out and advised this was completely normal and our unit is working perfectly?  I understand it may be normal for the temp to fluctuate a little during the summer months but not 10 degrees, this in my opinion is definitely not normal.

Our 2nd request was for our gas oven that just stopped working.  The technician came on and said he would have to order a part and it would take a week to get the part in and he would be back out to install.  Two weeks go by and we have not heard anything.   I called AHS and after a 55 minute hold time, I was informed the part had just been ordered the day before and would be another 7 to 10 business days before it would be delivered.  They even guaranteed that it would be delivered and they would call to set the appointment no later that 8/24/15.  Well on 8/27/15 I still have not heard back from anyone and call in again to sit on hold for another 45 minutes.  They then told me they had the part in and set the appointment to install. In the end our oven has been repaired but took just over 4 weeks to complete.

On our 3rd request, we needed a plumber for a leak in our crawl space from our kitchen sink.  The plumber came out and said that it was a visible leak and would cost around $1900 to repair and would not be covered by AHS since it was obvious?  I don't really understand how coverage is denied here when nothing in our contract states this exclusion and our home inspection did not see this either, so I would assume it is not obvious nor visible considering you have to crawl 30 feet into our crawl space to find.  We requested a 2nd opinion from AHS.  They sent out a 2nd plumber who told us that the extent of the work needed was not as severe as the first guy had claimed and advised that it would be completely covered by AHS.  However, AHS would have to send the first plumber back out to complete the repair since they were the first called?  This seemed odd since the first guy quoted $1900 and the 2nd was around $800, but if AHS wants to pay more than they need to who am I to argue.  The plumber set the next appointment to be out sometime between 8am and 1pm.  He was a no so and I called to follow up at 1:15 and the plumber told me he remembered my home and wanted to let me know that they would not cover the full cost of the repair and I would have to pay $746 out of pocket???  I called AHS to see why he was telling me this when they said it would be covered 100%.  Again I sat on hold for almost an hour before a representative advised she could not tell me what was going on here and would have a manager call me back.  2 days later, no call and I call back to try again and again wait on hold 40 min for a rep to tell me that there is nothing they can do and if the plumber says it will cost this much we will have to pay out of pocket.  I requested to have the 2nd plumber complete the work since he quoted half the price and said it would be covered. This apparently is not allowed and they said I would have to use the 1st plumber or take the cash out option.  Well not trusting the plumber at all, I requested the cash out option and was told that department would contact me within 2 days.  Now a week later and several phone calls to AHS, NONE from AHS, hours of hold time later and I still have no response or answers to any questions.  Only the empty promise that someone will return my call.

This whole thing has been incredibly frustrating and time consuming and all I want is a simple explanation and try to find a resolution.  I don't think this is too much to ask considering how much money they have been paid to cover these issues.  Save yourself the headache and save your warranty premium to use for your repairs if you need them because you surely can't rely on AHS.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/31/2015 09:12 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/american-home-shield/nationwide/american-home-shield-useless-home-warranty-nationwide-nationwide-1251960. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content