Complaint Review:

• Updated: Fri, August 10, 2012

• Reported By:E. Cleveland Ohio
American Income Life
Ridge Road North Royalton, Ohio United States of America

American Income Life Scam | Complaints REVIEW : American Income Life, National Income Life dedicated to helping associates achieve their goals; feel safe confident & secure doing business with AIL & NIL, they will not allow a legitimate complaint to go unresolved. ALL COMPANIES GET COMPLAINTS - HOW THE COMPANY HANDLES THOSE COMPLAINTS SEPARATES GOOD BUSINESSES FROM BAD BUSINESSES. Waco Texas Nationwide
*UPDATE : American Income Life join Rip-off Report Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation & Customer Satisfaction Program and submit to independent investigation. American Income Life pledges to resolve all legitimate complaints and address any issues from the past, present and in the future.

*Consumer Comment: Before any of you comment, please use brain

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: not a good company to work for

*UPDATE Employee: What are you afraid of, ripoffreport.com?

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: been there - done that

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: I love you Moby

*UPDATE Employee: Is Frank really Dan Quayle or what?

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Wrong again!

*UPDATE Employee: Frank & Felix, first of all brush up on the english skills...

*Consumer Comment: They are being investigated

*UPDATE Employee: Failures or Sociopaths???

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: best rates in the industry?

*UPDATE Employee: This is a sales job for crying out loud!!!!!!!

*UPDATE Employee: GET OFF MY BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Barbara's last lie

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Who's Barb from Ohio

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: AIL sucks

*Consumer Suggestion: almost sucked me in to this mess

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Barbara

*Consumer Suggestion: These companies are a dime a dozen!

*UPDATE Employee: Woman doing awesome

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Jason in Akron...he was the ONLY ONE MAKING ANY MONEY.

*UPDATE Employee: Frank, sucks to be you! i have been here for over 20 years

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Isn't it to soon?

*UPDATE Employee: Truth be Told

*UPDATE Employee: To Frank: My photo has also appeared many times

*Consumer Comment: hmmm, how come your name does not appear at the Spotlight ?

*UPDATE Employee: Dear Timothy, I'm glad you guys have a good laugh at my rebuttals.

*UPDATE Employee: Cherise I feel your pain Girlfriend

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: WOW Barbara, still working for AIL? I thought you were not going to write any more after getting busted last time about your big money STORIES! AIL

*UPDATE Employee: just so you know

SPECIAL UPDATE January 17 2012: American Income Life remains committed to 100% customer satisfaction and has drastically improved their business processes over the years to better serve their customers. American Income Life is truly dedicated to making sure ALL customers are happy. American Income Life continues to show customer service is of the utmost importance and they currently have no complaints!

To date, American Income Life has addressed and resolved all reported complaints, which have always been resolved to the complete satisfaction of their customers. American Income Life proves to be among the top members of the Rip-off Report Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation and Customer Satisfaction Program, as a Verified Safe Business. American Income Life has remained actively engaged and improving the way they address customer service complaints. Rip-off Report has confirmed that American Income Life is no fraud, is not a scam and is of the highest integrity. As an active and current member of the Rip-off Report Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation and Customer Satisfaction Program we are happy to report that now more than ever American Income Life remains committed to customer satisfaction and gets our top Verified Safe endorsement.
 American Income Life is Rip-off Report Verified

*UPDATE, Rip-off Report REVIEW: American Income Life / National Income Life Insurance Company gets a POSITIVE RATING from Rip-off Report and is fulfilling its commitment to resolve all legitimate complaints and address representative issues. Rip-off Report has investigated the company for many months after they contacted us to resolve any posted issues and misunderstandings. With over 2500 representatives and millions of clients, American Income Life / National Income Life is bound to be the subject of a certain number of complaints about improper agent conduct, as well as product and administrative complaints.

Rip-off Report's investigation found such complaints, but importantly also found that American Income Life / National Income Life is committed to resolving such complaints quickly and is doing everything possible to satisfy its clients and representatives alike. The company also takes appropriate action against any of its representatives who are found to have conducted themselves improperly or unethically. We believe that the number of complaints against this company, whether through the Internet or other channels, is small when put into the context of its enormous size. Most large companies would never commit themselves like American Income Life / National Income Life has to Rip-off Report's Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation & Customer Satisfaction Program.

Read our investigative Report and American Income Life / National Income Life's commitment to 100% consumer satisfaction.

American Income Life / National Income Life provides products and services through independent representatives, and has been providing benefits to families for over 50 years. AIL is rated A+ Superior by A.M. Best Company, its second highest rating, for overall financial strength (as of 6/07). American Income Life / National Income Life www.ailife.com and also www.WorkAtAIL.com provides life insurance and supplemental benefits to members of labor unions, credit unions, associations, as well as private clients in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Canada, and New Zealand.

See why you should feel secure and confident when doing business with American Income Life / National Income Life Read about Rip-off Report Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation & Customer Satisfaction Program,..A program that benefits the consumer, assures them of complete satisfaction and confidence when doing business with a member business. this program works.

===================== NOW TO THE ORIGINAL REPORT THAT WAS FILED

=====================

American Income Life ripoff, no intergrity, no honesty, money hungry happy robots North Royalton Ohio

Thanx for this website. I could not find anything bad about this company til I literally stumbled across this. I was contacted via e-mail from the state director stating they may have a position available for me. I have been unemployed for 2 months so when the opportunity came up I called the number back right away.

The gentelman called me back. Talked about I seem to have great people skills considering my background is in customer service and he has a position that I maybe great at. He asked to meet me the next day for a "professional" interview and I should dress sharp and make sure I have a "fresh" resume (even though he already had one).

I went to the interview dressed in tacked. This office was emaculant. The people were nice and simling. I met with the gentelman and the conversation was going well however, he never asked me anything about my last job or jobs. His main concern was am I a go getter, can I handle pressure, and do I like to work. I tried to ask questions about the "product" but he wouldn't give any answers and said we would go over that tomorrow. He thanked me for my time and asked me to come back for a 2nd interview. (huh that's it, so I thought).

I come back the next day only to find I'm in an "interview" with ten other prospects with various backgrounds (go figure). They only kept taking about how much money one can make. They kept stating that you'll be making money in no time. Still a little skeptical, this was kinda sounding good and easy. They tell you all you do is take the leads we give you cuase there's no cold calling, explain the product and BOOM. They give the impression that if the person sent the card in then more than likely they want the product.

Again, I was out of work and this seem like cake work. I told the gentleman that interviewed me that I was the one for the job. I can do this. At this time I was still being oblivious. He's like well we need to meet with our President to make a final decision because we don't have that many positions available. I'm still insisting I'm the one for the job. After all, on the panel they had to speak with us were no woman, so I thought I would break the chain. He looked at me and says your hired. Oh by this time I'm really excited. He says ok, lets get you started. He pulls some paperwork out and start to explain that I will need to get a "licenses". Ok, I can do that. The classes, books, licenses, background check and fingerprinting ran a whopping $447 total. Still me not thinking and my thought is "well, its an investment for my future."

I pay the money. I'm excited. I'm going to be that 1st woman on their MGA panel. I get home, and all of a sudden I wonder what have I done. I just paid money for a job. NO!! That's not right. If I'm such the asset and the company makes all this money, why can't they pay for anything. You don't even get paid for the "training" they offer you. I immediatly start looking again for BAD things about this company. Once I stumbled on this website, the stories I read were just like my experience to some degree and these people were in different states.

To conclude, I called the school where I paid my money to get a refund. I'll get all but $40 back because of processing. Mind you when I got my receipt for the payment. It showed $407, for some strange reason the system doesn't show the $40 for the application fee. Yeah, where did that $40 really go?!!

This company is not built on ingerity nor honesty. Try their website www.ailins.com/agency/ and it will even show you how they operate on their offices back end, the things they don't want the "newbees" to know about. If it had not been for this website and the site listed above I would have put myself in deep doodoo!! READ THE STORIES, PLEASE GO TO THE WEBSITE!! Don't be a fool, Thank GOD reality struck in.

Cherice E. Cleveland, Ohio

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on American Income Life Insurance

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/11/2005 01:20 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/american-income-life/north-royalton-ohio-44133/american-income-life-scam-complaints-review-american-income-life-national-income-life-134617. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Income Life

Before any of you comment, please use brain

AUTHOR: Chris McGraw - (United States of America)

Cherice E of Cleveland, OH, I hate to say this, but you are a liar! I went the the website you referenced, ailns.com/agency/ and guess what? Stories about illegal aliens and little green men! Please, where do you think that gets you? And for all of you others, I have never heard such moronic crying, especially from the "licensed insurance agent" from Rochester, NY.

No, I am not an employee of AIL/AIT, gfq or any other company you want to cry about. I am a CA licensed P&C and Life/Health agent with over 10 years experience, looking to get my career back on track.

Truth be told, I have gone to other insurance brokers/companies that are a lot worse. I have looked into the AIL program today, and even though I may not agree with everything they say(just like I did not agree with how 21st Insurance was ripping off their customers or A.I.S. not backing up their clients like they said they would. Look both of them up, both major players in CA). So, if you made dumb mistakes because you didn't understand something, whose fault is that anyway? Right, yours. So don't lay it on the company.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

not a good company to work for

AUTHOR: Cynthia - (U.S.A.)

I was employed by the office in waco texas back in 2004. they let me go 29 days after they hired me because they said i wasnt making it. worked in the claims department. the training that was provided sucked at best. however, they do have a high turnover at this company. dont recommend it to anyone one. because i was let go 29 days after i was hired i did even get the courtesy of a union representive to be present at the meeting

What are you afraid of, ripoffreport.com?

AUTHOR: Moby - (U.S.A.)

Why on earth do you refuse to post my rebuttals?
I think I know why:

1. I make way too much sense.

2. Since I started posting, there has been little or no activity on AIL's reports.

3. This is a biased website only interested in hearing complaints from loser ex-employees, instead of intelligent rebuttals from hard-working, successful current employees.

And finally...#4.

It's pretty clear the complainers have little or no brainwave activity and are totally unable to match wits with somebody who clearly has superior intelligence and work ethic.

This will be my final post, SAYONARA O' BIASED ONES!!!

#4 UPDATE EX-employee responds

been there - done that

AUTHOR: Been - (U.S.A.)

Moby will look back and see his chidish/whoreish view of creating wealth. The saying goes, to test a person's character - throw money in front of them. Enough said. Bring back Barbara, we miss you.

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

I love you Moby

AUTHOR: Frank - (Canada)

Jay do you want o talk turkey? well here it is....

I work for a Transnational...

Frank's Sales for Jan $655,000 worth of road equipment...

Frank's comission: 5% plus base salary

That's January baby!! I am loving it because it is the slowest time of the year due the cold weather. I will tell you how it went this february.
You do not believe me? well read this article:

It is not the money dude, the simple and plain truth is : You are an insurance salesman, nothing against it...except that you are a shady one and its shameful.

About your "english" skills rebuttal, I believe you meant "English" and also in your first paragraph I believe you meant achieving, not "acheiving".

I am loving it too baby!!!

Is Frank really Dan Quayle or what?

AUTHOR: Moby - (U.S.A.)

Dude your english is atrocious. How do you sell if you can't communicate?

January Moby earnings: $11,000.00
Total referral base: over 1500 names and phone #s

Don't give me that bull about morals and values, if a $100 bill came floating out of the sky and landed ever so gingerly in your outstretched hand, you would not question it, you would POCKET IT!

by the way my close rate it 82%.

KICKIN' A** AN' TAKIN' NAMES BABY!!!

I'M LOVIN' EVERY MINUTE!

#7 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Wrong again!

Hi Moby:

Wrong again!

WAH WAH WAH to you, I had my success at AIL. I did not quit because of the money, thanks to the Sales Skills I developed at AIL is how I landed the job I currently have. I sold myself to the company. However I understand you, living 100% off comission makes you quite money hungry, even at the expense of your policy holders' well-being. I hope this is not the case with you, but judging by your comments, it seems you are really into it.

Now, although in my rebuttal I was respectful to you, you just do not seem to share that back..... which anybody with a little sales psicology knowledge would tell you that obviously my comments upset you.

You can argue with me back and forth in this forum, as I said, I come here to take a mental break and exchange ideas, not to insult nor disrespect. aI happenned to "listen" your WAHING....at no point I take your attacks personal, but it is more than clear that you actually took mine as such. Is that how you act when a family turns you down and you don't sell a policy??

Frank & Felix, first of all brush up on the english skills...

AUTHOR: Moby - (U.S.A.)

The ability to communicate with other humans is crucial to acheiving success in any business, that's your first problem. Secondly, Sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours then watching T.V. all night sounds like a pretty brain-melting lifestyle, GOOD JOB! When you losers open up and reveal your true selves, It's no wonder you failed at AIL, THE SIMPLEST SALES JOB IN THE COUNTRY!!! WAH, WAH, I don't like calling people. WAH, WAH, I don't like driving too far. WAH, WAH, insurance sales is too hard. WAH, WAH, WAH, WAH, WAH, WAH, WAH. What a friggin' loser. "Big ole' Jim Petro is gonna git AIL darnit". Hey hillbilly, spit the hayseed out of your mouth and buy some dentures, you're making me sick. Who the hell is Big Jim Petro? He sounds like a fat oil dealer with a 10 gallon hat, YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAA. Go back to your menial tasks in the copy room, state employee boy.

#9 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Dear Moby:

Man, such anger! Let me tell you, not all the people that look at this website are unemployed.

I am at work right now, I need a mental break, so here I am. I enjoy taking a peak at AIL agents have to say cuz guess what?, there is a 95% probability you will not be with the company next year.

I worked for AIL, although I was not an employee, same as you(self employed right?) so that is why I check this website. I would not call people like me "people with pitiful lifes". I sit here 8 hours a day Mon-Fri, do my very best and I bring the same $$ home than when I worked for AIL but I do not have any expenses nor 80hrs of work a week.

You might enjoy that however, but while you are driving back and forth during the evenings I rather watch TV at home and relax. Althoug I really enjoyed the "field trips" and testing my skills by selling insurance to complete sceptic people, I just grew up and out of it. I noticed I really hated calling and offering "Free 2k insurance" just to get in the door, so sleezy, just some of us do not enjoy half-telling the truth, nor telemarketing over the phone, nor being only an insurance salesman for life.

#10 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#11 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#12 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Felix - (U.S.A.)

I will say I work for the State of Ohio and "Big" Jim Petro is looking into it finally after all the other insurance rip offs Expecially since Ann "Benji" Wommerman isn't and she's gone when taft leaves.

Beware it's better to work for the big boys who run tv adds they may suck too sometimes but atleast the customer calls you

Failures or Sociopaths???

AUTHOR: Moby - (U.S.A.)

It is simply amazing how the IT era has provided a new kind of soapbox for the insane to stand upon and spew venom. WAH, WAH, WAH, WAH. Will you losers please shut up and try doing something just a bit more constructive with your time. You people have way too much down time on your hands and need to get involved with a more serious project like... oh... maybe...FINDING A FRIGGIN' JOB. You tried something new and you failed, MOVE ON DAMMIT!! AIL has nothing but stellar ratings from AM Best, Standard & Poors, and the Better Business Bureau. Torchmark Corp. is one of the most stable blue chip stocks on the NYSE. Check it out people!! Mark Colbert is nothing more than an overpriced professional witness who makes a pretty good living slamming insurance companies in court. Every single major corporation in America has a bad seed or two that need to be weeded out, but to publicly discredit a company with a long history of involvement in the labor movement, voting drives, community outreach and premium waivers for financial hardship is shameful Mr. Colbert. The back of your head must have been covered with spitballs in the 2nd grade right? Perhaps Mommy and Daddy did not give little Marky enough attention early on and now he has to lash out JUST LIKE THE REST OF YOU LOSERS! Message to those who failed at the simplest sales job in the USA: Do yourselves and everyone else a really big favor: Go out and find a job that will suit your skill level and perhaps you will all find some meaning to your pitiful lives. If you do not do this...fine, but when you go on your computer induced killing spree, just stay out of my neighborhood. Hotjobs.com is waiting for all of you, or even better, shut off the computer and pick up your local paper, it might be healthier.

#17 UPDATE EX-employee responds

best rates in the industry?

AUTHOR: Bob - (U.S.A.)

you might want to do your homework, ail has good rates for whole life, but they most certainly don't have the best rates...

besides, whole life is a ripoff policy to begin with.

This is a sales job for crying out loud!!!!!!!

AUTHOR: Garret - (U.S.A.)

You need to PAY for a licensing course no matter which company you work for, You need to PAY to take the state exam no matter which company you work for and you need to PAY for your own gas no matter which company you work for. What are you people bellyaching about? If your talent is not sales, why are you applying for a sales position? Apply for a steady paying, salaried job where people other than yourselves are responsible for the amount of money you earn. Sales is a very tough business where most people fail and requires a work and self-management ethic unlike any other job. The Attorney General is not investigating AIL or Torchmark, that is a blatant lie. AIL's whole life rates are the absolute, bar-none least expensive in the industry. And as far as the union agreement is concerned....grow up! Instead of logging on to ripoffreport.com, try monster, careerbuilders or hotjobs. Enjoy!

GET OFF MY BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

AUTHOR: Barbara - (U.S.A.)

How on earth did I get brought into this again? I haven't been on this site in months. Unfortunately you get an email everytime someone rebuttals you letting you know someone is talking crap about you again. For the 100th time, I know I was obsessive when I first found this site because I took it personally. I got over it. I really don't care anymore. But now there are like 5 comments on me! Now it really is personal.

Tim- My bonus I received yesterday was $2135. I'm not sure who it was but my last 4 paychecks were a total of around $7000. Not that it's any of your business, but there you go. And that was a bad month! And I receive renewals monthly too. I also know an ex-agent who receives $72,000/year in renewals even though he no longer works for us and hasn't for over 3 years! So whoever it was that said why are you telling us how much I make, They asked. And I'm sick of people saying that you can't make money at AIL. Because you can.

As far as a manager bonus- No Tim, you are right. You did not see one for me because I am no longer a manager. I am a personal producer/career agent. Not because I got demoted but because I'm not really into the management thing. I like having responsibility only for myself. So everyone GET OFF MY BACK!!!!!!!!!! I could care less what any of you say about the company anymore. I know the truth and that's that. Just leave me alone!!!!! I'm changing my email address just so I don't get this crap anymore!

#20 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Barbara's last lie

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

Barbara we looked up your success and found your bonus under $500 and no management bonus. If you are not getting it yet take a copy of your Local 277 contract to a labor attorney and ask him.

My attorney said it is the worse union contract he had ever read.

Long ago you said you would not write anymore but you can't stop it.

Do yourself a favor and ask for a copy. I'm sure one was not given to you at time of "hire". It was not for us either.

It looks like nobody gets paid residuals after leaving even with 90% retention rates. The union grievances are ignored and stop you from bringing a lawsuit.

You get threatened and blacklisted and vectored if you ask questions. They lie to choice point reporting to prevent you from working for a real insurance company.

The attorney general is now looking into rackateering charges and interference. I am co-operating with law enforforcement agencies and the insurance department about these things plus insurance fraud.

There is no way you believe the bull that you write.

I have seen almost a 100% manager turn over in the last 12 months in Rochester and the numbers have fallen to less than half. The rates the trained us to tell customers would never go up recently jumped about 50%.

For Dumron to pretend to be a born again is like me claiming to be the Pope.

He is a liar and a thief.

#21 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Who's Barb from Ohio

AUTHOR: Business - (U.S.A.)

This women has also rebutted on my ripoff report.

Can you imagine working for a company whereas you have to spend some of your time logging on to the PC to check the daily ripoff reports on your company....time to get another job.

I had called my interviewing Mgr(MGA) after finding out I had been ripped(scammed) into a brighter future; told him he lied to me.

Then after getting off the phone I imagined if my Dad had (he doesn't) a job whereas people actually called him from time to time to tell him he was a lier, that would suck.

I understand it's not for everybody, but you guys really SUCK. You are the lowest form of life ... you really are.

Another thing I don't understand is if you are really making so much money selling life insurance then why would you tell us about it. Why not keep the money for yourself ???? Because there is no money in selling life insurance since personal computers have hit every house hold. You can search for a better deal on-line.

If you are truely helping people you would tell them to save there own money ...who is kidding who BARB..... your not making any money and if you were you wouldn't be giving a hoot here what we say here, you'd be counting your money.

Barb from Ohio, I think not only is AIL a scam but your a fruad yourself...ESP if you are making money on other peoples sweat.

From one sucker to another.....sucker, yet we live on.

#22 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Business - (U.S.A.)

I don't know of any other company that has employees spend their day rebutting the crap that AIL puts out.

#23 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#24 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#25 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#26 Consumer Suggestion

almost sucked me in to this mess

AUTHOR: Jay - (U.S.A.)

went through the "interview" process with this A+ rated company.

it must be A+ because they kept telling me that.

I kept hearing how I would be making 6 figures the first year and would be a manager within 6 months.

"what about the product" i asked? dont worry about that i was told, "we're helping out the union members" they said.

"here, learn this presentation before you go out in the field" the slick talking manager said.

took it home and read it and the thing is like 15 pages long.

half the presentation involves getting referrals from the poor unsuspecting union members.

I thought they had so many leads we didnt need referrals? "come to mondays meeting he said, we'll teach you how to knock on doors if your prospect isnt home".

having experience in the insurance industry,(actually a bad thing with this company)I actually review the product we're selling.

What a piece of excrement.

anyone with half a brain knows the union member can get 4 times the coverage for half the price elsewhere.

Next day i tell the pinhead manager and say im not interested.

the calls keep coming from desperate recruiters, the emails keep showing up about this great opportunity.

what a joke.

#27 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Barbara

AUTHOR: Bob - (U.S.A.)

I see you on here defending this company on a weekly basis. I can't figure out whether you are still really brainwashed, lying through your teeth, or you are actually MAKING money at AIL. I seriously doubt it is the latter.

Don't you think that if you have to check the ripoff report once a week to see who else considers your company a scam and post a response as some type of damage control, there might be a problem @ the company level?

I'm sorry, but when your company is listed as one of the TOP rip off links on the homepage, it probably means that you have more than a couple disgruntled employees. When you do a search on life insurance on the ripoff report, AIL and Primerica pretty much fill up the whole 1st page of reports. (funny because Primerica is to term policies as AIL is to whole life policies... but both are crap companies with crap policies in my opinion)

The fact is:
-you mislead people in the interview process.
-you flat out LIE to them when you tell them how much $$ they will be making.
-i have never heard of a 1099 employee, independently contracted to a company being forced to work a 70 - 80 hr week on a commission only pay scale.
-the commissions at AIL are awful, but you are lied to when you get each contract, thinking that you will be making more money.
-the union members are mislead with the letters that are sent out, thinking that they are sending the card in for some free stuff, when in reality, they are sending their names and phone numbers in to get tortured by your agents until one of them can get into the house and try to fool them into buying life insurance.

Sorry Barbara, but when you tell me what a great company AIL is, and how successful you are, i find it really hard to believe.

If you can answer the following questions truthfully, then i might change my mind:
-How many candidates did your office have in for interviews in 2005?
-out of those candidates, how many were actually HIRED?
-how many agents are in your office and actually in the field?
-you can black out your social and other important info, but i would like to see copies of your last 4 advance reports. proof that you actually are successful.

#28 Consumer Suggestion

These companies are a dime a dozen!

AUTHOR: Heather - (U.S.A.)

Cherice,

So sorry for your experience. I'm very glad to see people are writing about companies like these. My simular experience was through a company in the Cleveland, Ohio area.

Oh I thought I did all the checking too, including calling my ex-father-in-law who has been an agent for 40 plus years. I had the same feelings you had after going to " the 2nd interview " which in my opinion is nothing little more than a recruitment seminar.

IF IT WALKS AND QUACK'S LIKE A DUCK... IT'S A DUCK. I wish these companies would learn that once and for all and call that second meeting like it is.

Anyway, as for all this, " It's the state law you must pay for your licenses." ...While this is true, what would hurt companies like American Life, Banker's Life, and Cornerstone to pay for it?

I know , I know, "you say, well the Rep can walk out with their license anytime after and go elsehwere." Ever heard of a working service contract?

My suggestion would be for companies like this to offer potential reps classes paid by the company, but the rep candidate must work a year with the company and make sales to compensate the cost of licensure. I think in offering the classes paid and requiring the candidate to work a specified time with the company they would see fewer complaint's like these, and less "turn-over".

For an example, in the State of Ohio this is done regularly with classes for Nurse's Assistant's and the long-term facilities pay out to the state to certify Nurse's Assistant's. It's also law that they have to have a certifcate and it costs about $500. The facilities also require you to sign on for a minimum 1 year of work too, or you are bound to pay them back the funds if you are dismissed or leave the facility before the year of service is up.

I personally have no problem investing in myself. I gave nearly $400 of my savings over to a simular company, and I may have even considered staying if it were not for some of the dishonesty that followed after they had my money.

Woman doing awesome

AUTHOR: Rita - (U.S.A.)

I just didn't like the origional response to this file. I am a 25 year old female promoted to a GA and a convention qualifier both in my first six months with the company. I have a masters degree and am more often than not in the top 10 of 54 agents with the Joe Manone Agency. Joe Manone was the agent of the year this year and therefore to say that women are not successful within this company is rediculous. There is no stereotyping here. It all comes down to how hard you want to work, how likable you are, how creative you are.

#30 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Jason in Akron...he was the ONLY ONE MAKING ANY MONEY.

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

You've got some nerve. The ONLY person who succeeded in our pitiful little office was the SGA, because he was busy getting rich off the worker bees he called "agents." He drove a Vette--the rest of us? Hoopty central. Why? I'll tell you why. Because he was the ONLY ONE MAKING ANY MONEY.

These folks couldn't sell Jason, and ya know why they couldn't sell? Because the product is BS, AND when you've wasted 80 hours every week driving all over the state trying to sell people something they DO NOT WANT IN THE FIRST PLACE, it's probably a little discouraging.

So your "PR department" gets smashed with a couple of bigwigs from the Union, and gets them to sign off on something that had they been sober, they'd have told you to get bent. Nice "PR."

Then the Union MEMBERS get this "free insurance" card in the mail, and get all excited because it's FREE! And they send their stupid little card in only to be harassed on a daily basis by the degenerates in your call center, followed by a visit from someone who thinks they're doing the client a favor.

Did they at least kiss you first, Jason?

Not me, I got SCREWED royally. As have MANY, in case you haven't read the 9 million entries on this website. This many people can't be wrong, kid.

So while you and Barbara are busy scamming people out of their hard earned money, I advise the rest of the people on this little rebuttal board to go find a job with a company that gives a d**n about its employees, about its "clients," and about themselves. No self-respecting individual would waste their time or energy on a half-baked scheme--which is EXACTLY what AIL is.

Frank, sucks to be you! i have been here for over 20 years

AUTHOR: J. - (U.S.A.)

Speaking for Jason because i have been here for over 20 years and have the knowladge that you do not have. I can tell you that here in Ohio we have a true advatage having the number #1 PR person world wide for the year 2004 and in line for 2005. So we do not really have a problem in Ohio with leads. As a matter of fact we can not seem to get enough people to work them fast enough. SO in closing, Jason really has nothing to worry about and no we do not have to push referals here at our office eihter. Maybe you should come and visit sometime. You can meet Barbra also. You would like our office. Sounds much different than what you are used to.

#32 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Isn't it to soon?

AUTHOR: Frank - (Canada)

I was wondering, well you mentioned that you RECENTLY got refunded for your expenses which makes me think perhaps you have not been working for AIL that long yet.

Let me share something with you, YOU ARE RIGHT, but I will ask you to please read all my write up.

First of all, I am NOT going to rebutt you: You really are right, if you have the will, you will make the money. That is for sure.

I worked for AIL for a while, and the money at first was very good and the bonuses were excellent. I am proud to say that I was always honest and upfront and the business kept coming. I was even able to finanace a luxury car within months!!!, everything was going on rails, and I was helping families too!!!

After a while in summer you start hearing that the lead bank is drying up and you should get more and more referrals, because they close 1 in 2, etc etc etc. Have you heard this yet?? Might be true but never happened to me.

All the sudden, I am told the leads within my city are exhausted until next winter, so we don't have to travel out of town on those cold and icy days.

That summer I got leads from all over the province, although the business from them was good, I was on the road most of the time (6 days a week) driving at least couple of hours between little towns, staying in hotels for over a week with AIL mates when I was lucky, or alone, eating out all the time, doing oil changes and using tons if FUEL.

At the end of the month I was left with perhaps $200 after all my expenses on the road and at home, like rent. I was so much on the road that I got an $8 power bill once, just from the fridge running at home.

While on the road I worked 7 days a week, sending my papers by bus to the office so I did not have to spend money coming back. Those days I was having appointments until 10PM to make the best use of the hotel and travel expenses I was incurring into, once I closed one 10PM sale at 11:45PM in a Pizza Hut on a Sunday, drove back to the office that midnight, arrived home at 4:00 am, and I was in the office Monday morning at 9:00 to do my paper work. At 5 PM that same day I was 400kms booking from my hotel room. After that time, doing things that way became not uncommon.

In the meantime I got married, and to spend time with my wife she traveled out of town with me, she waited in the car while I was doing presentations in the homes, or I would tell the union members she was in trainning, so she would be able to come into the house with me when it was cold out. I WAS TRULY COMMITED to do my job well and to help people.

Winter came, and the leads in town that I was promised never arrived, I had to do the same out of town all over again but this time with cold weather.

I am going to tell you what real hell is : Try to find a Union Member's farm in the middle of nowhere in Saskatchewan for a 9PM appointment in January, where its completely pitch black out, windy and icy at -26 C and you are desperate to get to your appointment on time and concerned your car might break down on the way there, so far away from anywhere and there is only snow for miles.

There are only 2 things that beat that:

1) not getting a sale in that house after all the travelling on that weather

2) at the end of the year, after good tough work, and you expect your well deserved tax return, You find out you have to pay your Canada Pension and taxes that have been dragging all these months and that you actually owe money!!!!

HOW did that happen?? when retention was good, bonus almost monthly, I deducted everything I could possibly deduct and I still owed money??!!!

Tell me if these sounds familiar " You will make so much money because all your expenses are TAX write offs, etc."

You will make money, it is true, but please consider that your expenses : hotels, restaurants, laundry, GAS and the toll on your car is HUGE,

Besides you to be succesful you need 12 hours everday at least from the moment you drive out to the moment you come back, you will miss weekend BBQ's, friend reunions, etc. which for me, is priceless time. Getting $1500 in your pocket every week, divided by 70 hours of appointments and driving time, that is approx $22 an hour... minus hotels ($70 a day) , food ($15 a day), gas($25 a day), car insurance, rent at home, wear and tear in the car,laundry, bills, CELL phone..etc. not even $11 an hour sadly.

If that was not enough, remember, you are self employed and at the end of the year you better write everything off and you will still owe your Canada Pension Plan.

I have laid the facts from someone that did not complain, did what had to do, bonused constantly and booked over 28 appointments a week. I also had good closing ratio.

I do not expect you to believe me, but that was the situation in my agency.

My time with friends and family on a weekend is time that I cannot personally put a price tag on,
I suggest you not to do it either.

Truth be Told

AUTHOR: Jason - (Canada)

I am a supervising agent with AIL, and i must tell you that NO company is going to pay you to get your STATE license up front. I was recently reimbursed for my schooling, every penny i might add. It is alwas a laugh to read these posts, because usually the folks writting the complaints couldn't sell ice water in Hades. I have to agree with one thing, however; if making an investment in your future makes you nervous, AIL is not the company for you. There is no one breathing down your neck to make sure you work. you must do it for yourself. Alas, some are born self motivated, others require a structure and a boss. If you have the self determination to be a sucess AIL is truely the opportunity of a lifetime.

To Frank: My photo has also appeared many times

AUTHOR: Barbara - (U.S.A.)

Actually it is, has been, and will be many times. My photo has also appeared many times.

hmmm, how come your name does not appear at the Spotlight ?

AUTHOR: Frank - (Canada)

Well, I do not doubt that a woman can do as good as a man at AIL, and I do not question you are succesful.

But the point is: how come your name does not appear at the Spotlight ?

Just wondering...

Dear Timothy, I'm glad you guys have a good laugh at my rebuttals.

AUTHOR: Barbara - (U.S.A.)

We do too. Some people were just down at our home office and thought it was extremely funny how I ripped you a new one. Yes I am still there, yes I AM extremely successful at AIL. I'm right up there with the men and get full respect at my agency from everyone. Maybe that's because I respect myself and am very passionate about what I do. And No, I didn't get busted for anything, I just got tired of arguing the same point over and over to you. Obviously you are passionate about this website since you have nothing better to do but put entries in this for over a year now. Get over it! We don't care about you. Why should you care so much about us. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to MY life. You should too, assuming you have one.

Cherise I feel your pain Girlfriend

AUTHOR: Sue - (U.S.A.)

It's a man's world out there and I did not become succesful until after my last operation and hormone pills.
My Old Lady and I dig it now that we got our licker license and opened up our licker store, I sell the insrance on the side. It was tough getting respect.
I may open a sushi bar if my numbers don't pick up a bit by summer, Barbara, you are invited anytime.
We have been lied to about our benefits and were trained to lie about the union members benefits as well.
I am wondering which States I can get legal benefits for my wife? Why should I have to pay two single person rates when we are now legally married?
As far as my P&P reports go I'm trying to figure out if I have three years in and have an 80% retention rate and quit tomorrow how much woud I get? My new boss said my bucket money is 45,000 but someone else told me I actually owe the company 28,508 in chargebacks, and I have been told I am 30% vested after 3 years but I have to subtract the 28,508 from my bucket money of 45,000 leaving me with about 17000 minus my future approximate 20% that usually falls off about 13500. Now I learned there is a mandatory 180 waiting period before I collect a dollar and I am going to get 30% of my 5% renewal money, the 13500 that stays on the books for at least another 6 months, divided by 12 monthly payments would be about $56.25 per month for about 30 months or about 1687.50 total over the next 36 months if I assumed no more of my business fell of that I know it would and if none of the new managers recoded any of my policies to them so they get the 5% renewal since I can't get a P&P report or Ledger after leaving.
I've watched it done regularly out of the Rochester office and the managers laugh about it.
I wonder how many of those managers did their math and asked Becky Turner our union President to explain it to us.
When I asked the State Director he said he did not know.
I can't find our union bulletin board and have no way of confirming these rumors going around since I've never met my union steward. Does ANY AIL / NILICO REPRESENTATIVE KNOW WHO THEIR UNION STEWARD IS SO I CAN ASK A COUPLE OF MATH AND CONTRACT QUESTIONS?
I am planning an early retirement since we can't have children yet and only have one kitten named putty cat.
I was told I could easily retire in 10 years and want to know if AIL will match my 401K plan. Thanks ahead for the input! PEACE

#38 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

I remember looking in the SPOTLIGHT after you claimed to be doing so well yet you were not listed as having any leadership bonus and a tiny at best monthly bonus, not enough to pay for the gas for the month. Maybe you meant you were doing great for a WOMAN who always do lousy at AIL / NILICO. You were one of the funniest ones we read about in our office. No woman make it here, we had one but she was married to another woman so I don't know which one was the woman? I am so confused, but admit she wrote as well as most manly men. Either way she is gone now to Michigan. Our advice is for feminine woman not to apply because they don't make usually past a month. They are much more sensitive about being lied to. Who ever posts the funniest one gets two extra fresh union leads. We post these replys on our UNION BULITEN BOARD. Where do you post them at your office? That's right next to Becky Turners phone number and address in Texas our union PRESIDENT of the LOCAL 277. She takes care of all of the Grievances, and a fine job of doing nothing.

Cherice,
Just so you know you have to get a license to work in the insurance business in Ohio. That goes for all companies. Trust me when I say we make enough money that we don't need to steal $40 dollars from anyone. That could have been from the state of Ohio not AIL. I'm truly sorry that you didn't stick around. I am a woman who is extremely successful at AIL.

You just weren't around long enough to meet me, which tells me that you didn't know what was going on at all.

I just thought I would inform you that you are completely wrong in thinking we would steal your money. That is the law in the State of Ohio. Take it up with them. And no we aren't going to pay for your license just in case you decide to go elsewhere and use the license we paid for. Why should we do that? We do have a program that will pay you back for your classes and things had you stuck around.