Complaint Review: Amtrak

Chicago, Illinois
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Amtrak

I was hired to do some work in New Jersey last December, My prospective employer paid to bring me out on Amtrak. My Train arrived in Philidelphia 12 hours late the work I was to do had to be farmed out to another concern. IE BECAUSE of Amtrak's incopetence I lost out on getting a new job. But I will say that the staff in chicago and elsewere were sympathetic to my problem.

But blamed the lack of service on the cuts imposed by congress. I mean there were times when the coaches were older then dirt and the local metra trains are far far better.

Dennis
Elmhurst, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/05/2004 12:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/amtrak/chicago-illinois/amtrak-ripoff-chicago-illinois-116316. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
3Consumer
0Employee/Owner

So What You're Telling Us

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

So what you're telling us is amtrak is going from bad to worse. "Cuts imposed by congress". How about they're being proped up by federal subsidies. Moving people by rail is an archaic, inefficient mode of transportation. Freight maybe, people no. I would have thought you could have flown and rented a car. At least you would have gotten the job.

The Freight Railroads Fault

AUTHOR: Clayton - (U.S.A.)

I just wanted to comment and educate you on Amtrak and some of the problems they are facing. I have to agree that being 12 hours late and missing out on a job it terrible, however Amtrak isn't all to blame on this. Besides the Northeast Corridor Amtrak is reliant on the freight railroads that its trains run on. They Rely on NS, CP,BNSF,CSX and UP. The dispatchers of these railroads are the individuals making the choices on which trains can run or be stopped waiting for t heir turn. Amtrak is a tenant on these rails and so they unfortunately are treated as second best. I do not agree with this arrangement but am just pointing this out. in the East from Chicago to New York, the Broadway Limited runs on a very busy line with many freights per day. Amtrak might be the one to recieve the blame for it, however I can assure you that the Train and Engine Crew both were frustrated with the lack of progress of your and their train. So please next time when traveling on Amtrak just remember the crew who atr working for you are wanted to get to the end of the run as fast as you do. I have no thoughts on the toilet situation except bring some of your own things if desired.

I just want to comment briefly on the comment about the news report. The Media has no clue as to what happens in trasportation incidents weither it be air or rail. Also I know for a fact that Amtrak is very very close to having to stop running a few of its trains due to lack of equipment. In 2004 there were a number of derailments of Amtrak trains that took a number of cars out of rotation and so until they get them fixed, they will need to have to shuffle equipment around. They do the best they can.

Note: I am a rail inthusiest and have kept up on their stuggles for years, if you want to know more, email me.

Good Story

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

Here's a good story. Last week or so, the Amtrak lines were down due to heavy rains between Dallas and San Antonio, So what do they do? They BUS passengers from Dallas to SA. The problem only gets worse. The passengers arrive in SA, but with no trains, in or out, they have to wait at the station, until the next day. Don't know the full scoop, but that is what they reported on the local TV station.