Complaint Review: Amtrak

• Amtrak
    5411 39th Ave SE
    Lacey, Washington
    USA

Amtrak Do not attempt to ride if you are physically handicapped. Lacey Washington

I took the Amtrak train from Lacey, WA to Vancouver, BC in December 2013.  At that time, I was using a walking boot and crutches as I had broken my leg.  I booked my trip through the Amtrak 'disability' option as I knew I would need assistance with boarding.  I boarded in Lacey, WA which is staffed entirely by volunteers.  They offered no assistance whatsoever.

When I boarded the train, I told the conducter that I would need assistance getting on to the train.  He told me 'there is no lift available.  You have to get on the best you can.'   With that, because I could not lift my leg in the boot, I literally crawled like an animal on to the train.  I threw my crutches up the steps, got down on my knees and pulled myself up the steps.  No one helped.

Once in my seat, I told a passing Amtrak staff member that I would need help disembarking.  He said to me 'remind me later.'  I never saw him again.   So I asked for help from every Amtrak member I saw.  One man said, 'I will be here to help you when we get to Vancouver.'    So, when the train stopped, I waited.  And waited and waited.  25 minutes passed.  I finally crawled off of the train and another passenger assisted me.

I emailed Amtrak about the episode and never recieved a response.  I would never, ever recommend Amtrak to anyone traveling with a disability.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/23/2014 06:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/amtrak/lacey-washington-98503/amtrak-do-not-attempt-to-ride-if-you-are-physically-handicapped-lacey-washington-1133007. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content