Complaint Review: Ancestry.com

• Reported By: Rochester New York
  • Ancestry.com
    360 W 4800 N. (or PO BOX 990, Orem, UT)Provo, Orem
    Provo, Utah

Ancestry.com - MyFamily.com - RootsWeb.com - Ancestry.co.uk - Genealogy.com Complete and utter ripoff Provo Utah

*Consumer Suggestion: Ancestry.com is not a ripoff...

I cannot add anything more illuminating and different to those messages that have already been posted; unfortunately, I'm traveling down the same road at present.

However, I would like to contact my state's attorney general's office, or perhaps file a class action suit.

Robyn
New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/30/2004 06:08 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ancestrycom/provo-utah-84604/ancestrycom-myfamilycom-rootswebcom-ancestrycouk-genealogycom-complete-and-u-78706. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Ancestry.com is not a ripoff...

AUTHOR: Dustin - (United States of America)

I have been a user of Ancestry.com for the last four years (not continuously). The reason for it not being continuous has been due to my schedule and free time available for genealogy research. I have never had a problem canceling a trial membership before being charged, I have never had a problem canceling a paid membership before a renewal, and I have contacted the customer service several time over the last four years. The customer service has always been very nice to deal with. They are always helpful, and I find it very hard to believe that they wouldn't cancel a membership after it was paid (assuming that it was within a short period of time since the membership started). The only reason I feel the need to post this is that Ancestry.com is a great resource for family history, and I don't want people to be discouraged from using the site due to the reviews here.

In short:

- Call the 800 number (800-Ancestry) to cancel or report a problem.
- Like any bill, stay on top of due dates and cancel before the expiration to avoid renewal charges
- This site has more records on family history than any other and is money well spent for someone interested in researching family history.