Complaint Review: Area Housing Authority Of The County Of Ventura

• Reported By: Ojai California
  • Area Housing Authority Of The County Of Ventura
    1400 West Hillcrest Dr.
    Newbury Park, California

Housing Authority Of The County Of Ventura Prorate Refund Shortage Newbury Park California

*Author of original report: Prorated Rent Received

After living a year in an upstairs apartment managed by the Housing Authority, I requested a downstairs apartment. A year later I was granted that transfer and told that I had 3 days to move. The 3rd day fell on a Friday, so I was told I had through Sunday, giving me 5 days to move. I had already paid the full month's rent for December 2007, but they required me to pay a prorated rent as well for the downstairs apartment and would refund me the prorated rent for the upstairs apartment. When I compared the amount charged versus what was refunded, I found a $61 overcharge and under refund. I wrote them twice about it, once sending a certified letter, and each time a fax. When there was no response, I deducted that amount from my next rent check.

A year later I moved out of those apartments. When I received my security deposit refund, they deducted the amount I had withheld from my rent. Furthermore, I had pre-paid the last month's rent before submitting my lease termination letter. Once more, they under refunded the pro-rated rent by $55.

They also withheld money I had deducted from the same check for repairs they had neglected to make in the amount of $17.07, and they charged me electricity when the electricity had been in my name through the last day of my lease.

An attorney friend contacted them, and they initially said they would respond to him within a week. I waited 2 weeks and finally sent them a letter once again outlining the correspondence, the money owed, and indicating I would file a small claims suite if they did not respond by 8/31/08.

I did not hear from them last week and expect to file a suite for the total of $136.15 + the cost of filing.

Silvrwood
Ojai, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/31/2008 03:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/area-housing-authority-of-the-county-of-ventura/newbury-park-california-91320/housing-authority-of-the-county-of-ventura-prorate-refund-shortage-newbury-park-california-368616. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Prorated Rent Received

AUTHOR: Silvrwood - (U.S.A.)

A few days after filing this report, I received the amount indicated in the original report.

Thank you.