• Report: #332008

• Submitted: Sun, May 11, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, May 19, 2008

• Reported By:Cumming Georgia
AT&T
att.com San Antonio, Texas U.S.A.

AT&T Cancelled my email account illegally San Antonio Texas

*Author of original report: Someone actually helped

*Author of original report: Email

*Author of original report: Illegal

*Consumer Suggestion: Just when did email account quit working???

*Consumer Comment: Illegal?

*Consumer Comment: That's a bummer...

REBUTTAL BOX™ | Respond to this Report! | Consumer Comment

Corporate Advocacy Program

Set the record straight:
Arbitration Program

I moved in July 2007 in with relatives while I was having a house built. I called AT&T and explained that I didn't want to continue to pay for internet, but I wanted to keep my email address. I was informed that that could be done. On April 21, 2008, I called and explained that I had moved into my new house and I was ready to get my internet started and my email address register at the new address. On Wednesday, April 23, 2008, my email acccount was cancelled. After many calls and emails and lies, I was told yesterday that it would take 270 days for my email address to be reactivated and that the emails I had would be gone. This is unacceptable. I had important information in these emails and they refuse to do anything for 270 days because that it their policy.

Kim
Cumming, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/11/2008 02:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/att/san-antonio-texas/att-cancelled-my-email-account-illegally-san-antonio-texas-332008. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AT&T

Someone actually helped

AUTHOR: Kdhcpa - (U.S.A.)

I finally spoke with someone in technical support and he was able to get my old email address up and working and all my old emails were there. The name on the account isn't correct, but he said billing should be able to correct this. Just to be safe, I forwarded all my old emails to addresses I knew wouldn't be cancelled.

AUTHOR: Kdhcpa - (U.S.A.)

I was able to check my email from when I moved back in July until 2 days after I called to get my email transferred to my new address...almost 9 months. I used webmail the whole time.

Illegal

AUTHOR: Kdhcpa - (U.S.A.)

Okay, illegal probably wasn't the correct wording, but I was so angry with AT&T, my emotions took over.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Just when did email account quit working???

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

Looks like almost a year went by before you tried to set up your email. Did you use the email account at all during this time frame??? You could have used your browser for webmail.

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Would you please provide us with the regulation or law that makes it illegal for a company to delete an e-mail account.

That's a bummer...

AUTHOR: Edgeman - (U.S.A.)

However, I'm not sure what is illegal about their actions.

While it is too late in this instance, important emails should be backed up or at least forwarded to another email address for safekeeping.