Complaint Review: Austin Boat & Motors

• Austin Boat & Motors
    1208 Ranch Road 620 South
    Lakeway, Texas
    United States of America

If you are contemplating buying a Ranger bass boat or any other boat for that matter - find another dealer. I have purchased 3 other new Rangers and by far this was the worst experience. They claim that they water test all boats before delivery and check everything out to insure every item functions properly - this is either simply a blatant lie or they are totally incompetent. After I took delivery I found the following problems:

the water pressure and speedometer gauges did not work, the tilt/trim gauge was not adjusted properly, the jack plate was installed incorrectly,  one of the seat pedestals was defective, the trailer dolly wheel had been damaged, the carpet was dirty,  they had spilled battery acid on one of the battery hold down strap buckles and battery trays, compartment plugs were missing, rubber inserts for  storage cubbys were missing, the 2 cycle oil reservoir was leaking

worst of all, they had deleted the standard equipment trailer brakes from their order with the manufacturer without give me disclosure.  The general manager, Martin Boyer, was fully aware that I am an Arizona resident intending to use the boat in Arizona.  He never bothered to check to see that the Arizona DOT laws require trailer brakes and he also never bothered to tell me that the trailer had no brakes.  When I addressed this matter Austin Boats reply was that I should have asked about the brakes being deleted.  Are you kidding me?  I should have asked that standard equipment that is listed on the manufacture's web site has been deleted by the dealer?  I guess I am just lucky that they didn't delete the trailer tires or lights.  Now if I want to legally use a boat that I paid $34K for I will be forced to litigate for the cost of parts and labor to have the required brake system installed.  Austin Boat and Motors is a totally unscrupulous business that had no ethics and is devoid of customer service.  Don't visit this boat dealership - run from it as fast as you can!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/19/2012 08:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/austin-boat-motors/lakeway-texas-78734/austin-boat-motors-austin-boats-unscrupulous-business-that-fails-to-disclose-important-i-856414. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

7Author
0Consumer
3Employee/Owner

UPDATE

AUTHOR: exposebadbusinesses - ()

As previously mentioned, through their attorney, Austin Boat and Motors offered to supply and ship the brake system at no charge but would not pay for the installation.  After almost two years of continued debate and legal fees we advised the attorney, the owner and general manager that we would accept their offer and execute a release.  AUSTIN BOAT AND MOTORS FAILED TO HONOR THEIR OWN SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT AND HAS SINCE ONLY COMMUNICATED TO ASK THAT WE STOP NEGATIVE INTERNET POSTINGS.  Clearly this is a despicable business run by dishonorable people.

LIES, LIES AND MORE LIES

AUTHOR: exposebadbusinesses - ()

Through their attorney an offer was made that they would send the complete brake system at no charge if I would pay for the installation.  When I was able to finally contact Austin Boat and Motor's attorney he advised that I should contact Martin Boyer their general manager direct, which we did several times.  All of our contacts and requests have gone unanswered.  Clearly this shows that Austin Boat and Motors simply cannot be trusted even when a settlement offer is extended through their attorney!  Unethical and unscrupulous are the only words to describe Austin Boat and Motors!

REFUSED ARBITRATION !

AUTHOR: exposebadbusinesses - (United States of America)

Just received word that Austin Boat & Motors refused arbitration by the Austin Better Business Bureau.  I seems strange that any one who believe that they are in the right would not agree to binding arbitration!  Again, this is just another action by Austin Boats that illustrates what kind of outfit they really are.

Smoke and mirrors!

AUTHOR: exposebadbusinesses - (United States of America)

"I wish our offer to make you happy was acceptable to you but you have made it clear on many public forums including this one that it is not." - The only offer made to resolve the matter was that I would pay Austin Boats wholesale cost of the brake system parts and then eat the expense to have the system installed.  Not a very equitable offer!

"By choosing to use words such as competent jurisdiction, court, attorney and legal etc...you make it very difficult for us to work with you on a personal basis to resolve this issue." - How so?  If you would like to resolve an issue all that needs to be done is to make a reasonable offer that would be equitable to both parties.  As usual your statement simply shows how Austin Boats always attempts to skirt the issue.

"We choose not to defend your claim(s) or respond to your speculation of what legal opinion we may have garnered to this point." - Unquestionably any company or individual that knowingly ignores correspondence from at attorney is merely hoping that the issue will go away -  a very juvenile and unprofessional approach.

"We wish to say nothing more in public.  Again, we do not appreciate your attempts to slander and smear our company publicly with your innuendos and derogatory implications." - Innuendos and derogatory implications?  Is that how you refer to the true reported facts?

"If anyone reading this report feels it unfairly calls into question our company's ethics and you would like more information about this incident or our business in general please don't hesitate to contact us via
info@austinboats.com or 512-263-2811." - Sure you can read their self proclaimed great customer service mission statement and see the post on their web site that indicates that they have an A+ rating with the BBB but the fact remains that several customers have posted their complete dissatisfaction with the treatment received from Austin Boats.  As a side note, why would Austin Boats post a BBB logo on their web site when they are not even members of the BBB?  Isn't that a trade mark violation?  I guess Austin Boats just believe that they can do as they please with respect to any aspect of their business dealings.

#5 REBUTTAL Owner of company

sorry you feel this way

AUTHOR: Austin Boats & Motors - #27 dealer in North America - (USA)

By choosing to use words such as competent jurisdiction, court, attorney and legal etc...you make it very difficult for us to work with you on a personal basis to resolve this issue.

We wish to say nothing more in public.  Again, we do not appreciate your attempts to slander and smear our company publicly with your innuendos and derogatory implications.

If anyone reading this report feels it unfairly calls into question our company's ethics and you would like more information about this incident or our business in general please don't hesitate to contact us via info@austinboats.com or 512-263-2811.

Too bad it's unresolvable outside of a court room

AUTHOR: exposebadbusinesses - (United States of America)

Yes my last rebuttal was a little harsh but since Austin Boats continues to refuse to do the right thing I certainly will not apologize for my reaction and comments concerning the business ethics of Austin Boats.  Austin Boats insists that "you did not pay for the standard equipment that was deleted" but there was absolutely no credit listed on their invoice.  The owner of Austin Boats really should read: TEX BC. CODE ANN. 17.46 : Texas Statutes - Section 17.46: DECEPTIVE TRADE PRACTICES UNLAWFUL.  Better yet, you may want to have your attorney review the conduct of Austin Boats relative to this matter.  Clearly, to date, Austin Boats has not even solicited a legal opinion from its attorney in this matter since they have failed to respond to the two legal notices that it has received from my attorney.  Unquestionably it is time for a court of competent jurisdiction decide this matter.

#7 REBUTTAL Owner of company

sorry

Dear Sir,

I am sorry you feel like you need to result to more insulting language. We understand that you are upset.  Again, we did not charge you for the option delete of the factory brake system and this is very common according to Ranger boats for dealers on the 118 model specifically to delete the brakes.  We offered a significant discount off of dealer cost and are still willing to send it to you asap.

This is all we wish to say in public as we don't appreciate your attempts to slander and smear our company publicly.  We are not going to defend your claim in an inflammatory or defensive manner as you are appear to be drawing us into.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Mr. Boyer,  - G.M. Austin Boat and Motors,

Are you kidding me?  If you ordered a vehicle from General Motors and the dealer deleted the steering wheel - never told you of the deletion - and upon delivery expected you to pay for the steering wheel and the installation what the hell would you expect the dealer to do for you?  You complained that the dealership didn't make much money on the deal - well that isn't my fault.  You accepted the deal just like I did.  Why won't you and Austin Boat and Motors man up and admit that they should have disclosed that they deleted STANDARD equipment before concluding the transaction.  Quit being such a bunch of scumbags - agree to provide the brake system and pay the local dealer to install it so I can legally use the boat that I paid you for.  If screwing a customer over $925.00 means that much to Austin Boat and Motors what can be said about your firm's customer service and integrity?

#9 REBUTTAL Individual responds

We feel we have made a very reasonable offer to help resolve this issue

AUTHOR: Austin Boats & Motors - #27 dealer in North America - (USA)

We feel we have made a very reasonable offer to help resolve this issue by offering to provide the complete brake system for his trailer at a 20% discount to actual dealer cost. The boat was not ordered with brakes, the customer did not pay for brakes and therefore we conclude that his request, to have our company pay another company retail to install a brake system that he did not previously pay for, is unreasonable. We sincerely regret that he won't accept the arrangement that has been offered to him in order to reconcile this issue. Unfortunately, we can't seem to find any kind of middle ground with this customer as he isn't willing to accept our offer or anything less than a complete brake system installed at our cost entirely.

UPDATE

AUTHOR: exposebadbusinesses - (United States of America)

Well, I heard back from Austin Boat and Motors after filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.  They offered to send me the brake assembly kit if I paid them $475.00 and absorbed any expense for installation by the local Ranger Boat dealer that would amount to another $450.00.  In consideration of this benevolent offer they
indicated that they would expect me to delete all of my internet postings about their poor treatment and drop the BBB complaint.  Keep inb mind that this involves Austin Boat and Motors deleting STANDARD equipment brakes from their order with the boat manufacturer.  I guess if I were to order a car and the dealer deleted the brakes from their
order from GM, Ford or Dodge I would then be expected to pay for the brake parts and labor to install them?  This is the kind of logic and treatment that Austin Boat and Motors uses.  Unfortunately it looks like there is no way to settle this matter outside of a lawsuit.