Complaint Review: Authorhouse

• Reported By: Dublin 8 Other
  • Authorhouse
    Authorhouse, Bloomington,In 47403 Indiana, Usa
    Nationwide

Authorhouse Asked to desist from selling my book and they still are selling it via internet and bookstores London Office And Indiana

*UPDATE Employee: Perhaps..

I've Instructed Authorhouse in writing on the 10th December,
to remove my book title 'Why Can't I Speak' from the marketplace immediately. I also instructed Authorhouse to desist from selling my book via the Internet or making the book available to any other booksellers / agents.

Authorhouse advised me that I had total rights on this book as I paid for its creation and production.
However, Authorhouse have failed to comply with my request and later sent me an email to say that I have to sign 'Author Cancellation Form'

I had also requested written confirmation that Authorhouse have complied with this request.

I wrote them the same email on the 10th of December of 2008 and this was not been done.

However, I found Authorhouse representative very rude and cutting in London office.
Initially, I was told that I only paid for it's creation and that it would be print on demand and if I wanted to make the book available to bookstores that i would have to pay for a separate package.
I was on standstill when I read that the book seems to be available abroad and was wondering who is pocketing the money on this.
Help?

Barbara
Dublin 8
Ireland

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Publishers Business Services

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/05/2009 08:40 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/authorhouse/nationwide/authorhouse-asked-to-desist-from-selling-my-book-and-they-still-are-selling-it-via-intern-431023. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Perhaps..

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

You say the rep you spoke with was rude... my guess is that because of this you were not clearly informed or did not clearly understand what you need to do to make your book unavailable.

You mention being told to file a cancellation form (which is absolutely standard if you need to cancel a contract like this), but did not mention whether or not you actually did this. If you have not filed the proper paperwork, then your book has not been properly canceled. A request like this must be submitted in writing for any company like this, not just publishers or AuthorHouse specifically.

Lastly, regarding the availability of your book: every contract guarantees that the information for your book is distributed to 25,000 online retailers. Key word: online. If you want your book to be physically available on the shelves at Waterstones, Barnes & Nobles, etc, then you must purchase an additional option for your contract. (Unfortunate, but not uncommon for print-on-demand publishing.) The standard contract does not include "returnability", which is required for physical retailers, in case someone needs to return your book for some reason.

In short: if your book is still available, and you did not provide AuthorHouse with the requested and required form to officially cancel your book, then this is why your book is still available.

If your book is still available, and you DID provide them with this form, then either an online company is selling used or pre-purchased copies of your book, which can't be helped, or something wasn't processed at AuthorHouse, and will require you to follow up.

Hope this helps.