Complaint Review: Avangate

• Reported By: Just want what is fair — Colorado Springs Colorado
  • Avangate

Internet
    USA

Avangate Made Empty Promise to Fix my Computer-Ripped me off for $147.00!! Internet

STAY AWAY FROM AVANGATE...THEY ARE FRAUDLENT COMPANY!!!

I was having problems with my computer freezing up and could not get rid of a pop up ad from Avangate.  I  called their 800 number to see why this pop up would not go away, as it was holding my computer prisoner.  The representative said "he could fix my computer in two hours" but in order to do so I would have to join some membership which would give me on going support when I had a problem any time 24 hours a day.

I told him that I didn't need nor want a membership for support and just wanted the problem fixed.  He insisted that it would be very benefical to prevent this type of thing happening again.

He started quoting at a very high amount over $400.00 for a 3 year plan and I said no way, he went down to $147 for a one year membership, which was still out of my budget, but being "desperate" to have my computer back I went ahead with it.  Keep in mind he was suppose to "fix" the problem that I was having.

I think his name was Marcus, but it had to have been an alias as he was of Asian descent, (in fact everyone that I spoke to was.) He took control of my computer and told me not to touch it and that he would be done in two hours and would call me at that time.

Two hours went by and I noticed he had logged off.  No phone call came, I waited another hour  thinking maybe he went to lunch.  I called seven different times over the next several hours trying to get ahold of him.  I tried logging on to my computer and it wasnt changed from before; I still couldn't log on to it.  I kept getting the same answer that he was still working on it even though he had logged off hours before.  He finally got on the line when I called the seventh time  and could not explain why I still could not use it and just told me that he worked on it and that I probably need a new hard drive now.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/07/2013 09:54 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/avangate/internet/avangate-made-empty-promise-to-fix-my-computer-ripped-me-off-for-14700-internet-1049035. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content