Complaint Review: Avista Gas Utilities

• Submitted: Tue, February 12, 2013
  • Updated: Fri, February 15, 2013
  • Reported By: Kirk — Medford Oregon U.S.A.
  • Avista Gas Utilities

Grants Pass, Oregon
    United States of America

Avista Gas Utilities Illegitimate Billing Grants Pass, Oregon

*Author of original report: Avista Problems

*UPDATE Employee: Avista

This company is the local gas supplier in southern Oregon. We had a gas furnace that had a bad thermostat. We had it "repaired" by an Avista service person... but it never operated correctly. They refused to come back to fix it- it either ran full blast or not at all. We decided to simply use the wood stove for heat and shut the gas off. It was completely shut off, not even a pilot light. We continued to get bills for gas use, even when it was not running. Avista informed us that we were getting billed for "minimal use", a monthly charge that they levied for customers who were on the "active list." We requested a complete shutdown of the account so that we wouldn't continue to get billed for something we weren't using. They finally complied, and eventually came to remove the entire meter. We begrudgingly paid the $150 we were charged for non-use and just hoped that they would leave us alone. [continued below]....
..... 3 years later, I was requesting a small loan from a local lender for a medical operation for a family member. I was surprised to find that my otherwise clean credit had an outstanding bill from Avista Gas for $225! I was not only outraged by this unjustified bill, I was equally furious that it ruined the opportunity for obtaining this crucial loan. We hadn't any idea that such a claim existed; we hadn't received any billing for it. It was evidently something that Avista simply generated on its own, and smeared my credit with it. We paid the $225 to remove it from my credit report, given no other option due to their act of extortion. This company's seedy practices is something to behold; I would recommend that people STEER CLEAR of AVISTA Utilities, lest they get screwed sideways as we were.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/12/2013 11:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/avista-gas-utilities/grants-pass-oregon-97526/avista-gas-utilities-illegitimate-billing-grants-pass-oregon-1013335. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

1Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Avista Problems

AUTHOR: Kirk - (U.S.A.)

Both my wife and I had spent vast amounts of time on the phone attempting to resolve these issues, but were met with profound indifference. The experience has forever soured us on Avista; the crowning touch was the surprise bill that appeared on my credit report. The "service" received from Avista was horrendous; I have and will continue to share my story with everyone in hopes that they will avoid the miserable experience that we endured. If Avista really had any concern with customer service, they would have been fair with us in the first place.

Avista

AUTHOR: Avista Utilities - (United States of America)

We are sorry you had an unsatisfying experience with Avista. We would like to discuss this with you at your convenience to get a better understanding of what has taken place with your account. Please contact us at conversation@avistautilities.com.
Avista Utilities