Complaint Review: Bank of America

• Reported By: Jennfier — Myrtle Beach South Carolina United States
  • Bank of America

Nationwide
    USA

Bank of America I opened a savings and checking account online with Bank of America. All going well until after about 4 months there was a mishap and I overdrew my account a couple of times.  Nationwide

*General Comment: A little education

*Consumer Comment: Pretty Universal

*Author of original report: STUPID

*Consumer Comment: Being Out The Violins

Bank of America has closed all my accounts with no explanation.  They have stolen my money and put it on hold telling me that I can't have my money until the accounts are closed.  I will receive a check for the money that is left over after they deduct fees, expenses, whatever money they would like then I can have what is left over.  They are theifs.

Bank of America I opened a savings and checking account online with Bank of America. All going well until after about 4 months there was a mishap and I overdrew my account a couple of times. Next thing I new I tried to sign in online and my account was locked. I tried using my debit card and it was declined by issuer. I was on the phone over four hours with bank of america being transferred over and over and being hung up on time and time again. Finally the only information I was given is that my accounts were in the account closure department due to fraudulant activity. All my money was on hold I was not allowed to get anymore even after pleading. I asked them to refund fees that they had charged to my account they refused. They said after the accounts were closed any fees would be deducted from my money and they would be sending me a check for whatever was left over. No explanation, no help, terrible customer service, This bank has stolen my money. I even threatened them with the Attorney General. Afterwards I decided to do a little checking. I was astonished at the complaints, ripoffs, money stolen, the lawsuit against them for fraudulant fees charged, on and on. THIS IS THE WORST PLACE TO EVER BANK WITH. PLEASE BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO BANK WITH BANK OF AMERICA YOU NEED TO GOOGLE THEIR COMPLAINTS, THE UNDERHANDED PROCEDURES, ETC. OR YOU WILL GET SCREWED ALSO. Nationwide

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/28/2017 11:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/bank-of-america/nationwide/bank-of-america-i-opened-a-savings-and-checking-account-online-with-bank-of-america-all-1402939. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

1Author
3Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#1 General Comment

A little education

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

First, you don't get to post your story on a public forum and then respond to comments with "Mind your own business!"  Second, Jim's response to you was exactly on point- you proved to the bank that you were not capable of managing a checking account.  Rather than risk you floating bad checks and creating a headache for them, the recipients of the bad checks, and yourself, the bank closed your account.  There's nothing extraordinary about this, nor anything improper, and it's CERTAINLY not a "ripoff."

Get your financial life in order and learn how to manage your own money so that the next time you open an account you don't "overdraft a couple of times," or EVER.  Otherwise you are going to be doing severe damage to your credit rating, and all your ranting on Ripoffreport.com won't do a single positive thing to change that.   Grow up.

Pretty Universal

AUTHOR: Jim - (USA)

When you signed your account agreement with the bank, and this is pretty universal with every bank, you agree the bank can cancel your account at any time, with or without reason.  In this case, the account overdrew a couple of times according to your initial statement.  Whether this was by intent or by accident (either way - it doesn't matter), the bank can and will generally shut the account down and hold your funds until the bank believes all activity has been accounted for when an overdraft happens soon after the account was opened (I don't know how long your account was opened - the information you left implied the amount of time was minimal).  Whether the department is a fraudulent account department, or Account Closure Group, they all pretty much function as you describe.

I understand this is not what you wish to hear, but there isn't much anyone in a government setting would be able to do for you either in this case because there is nothing criminal taking place.  Unfortunately, it could take as much as 30 days for the funds to be returned to you.  I would also be cautious about what you read on the internet regarding any bank.  In most cases (95% +), the cause of the complaint was human error; banks are largely computerized in the way they process transactions and account holders tend to not account for transactions very well because they're...human.  Do banks make mistakes?  Sure - even a computer can make a mistake.  Does it happen often?  Rare.  Very rare.

It's important to remember this is a public forum.  People will contribute responses to individual complaints IF they wish to.  In virtually all cases, no contributor (including me) has ever worked for a bank.  I'm sorry this happened to you and best of luck...

STUPID

AUTHOR: - ()

So if you don't work for them why do you give a crap?  BTW don't even begin to think you even know what the H----- you are talking about you know nothing about me.  So if you dont work for them what do you care?  Mind your own business and stop defending "banks".  BANKER

Being Out The Violins

AUTHOR: Jim - (USA)

What YOU are saying is YOU rang up overdrafts and as such, YOU showed them YOU cannot manage a checking account and they closed it, right? They have the right to close any account they want for any reason. It's their bank. If YOU would not have overdrafted your account, we wouldn't be here, would we? In other words, YOUR lack of managing a checking account brought on these consequences. Want to complain? Look in the mirror. YOU ran up OD fees because YOU don't keep written records and when YOU used your card, YOU had no clue what YOUR balance was. You manage a checking account by keeping a check register, computing an on-going running balance and balancing your account each month. You do not manage said account by checking balances on line or via phone. You maintain your own records which account for each and every debit before it hits the bank. Don't bother...I'll tell you ahead of time, I don't work for them!