Complaint Review:

Ripoff Report | BetterHelp.com Verified TRUSTED Business | Ripoff Report Verified™ …businesses you can trust. BetterHelp is the largest online counseling platform worldwide. BetterHelp changes the way people get help when facing life's challenges by providing convenient, discreet and affordable access to a licensed therapist. BetterHelp completely understands that counseling process can elicit feelings of vulnerability, anxiety, relief, joy, etc., and BetterHelp wants to be there to support members.

• Submitted: Tue, April 14, 2015
  • Updated: Sun, April 30, 2017

• Reported By: anonymous — Chicago Illinois USA
Internet USA

BetterHelp Verified TRUSTED Business REVIEW: BetterHelp is 100% dedicated to creating a positive customer experience for all members. BetterHelp recognizes that impeccable customer care is vital to the platform's mission of helping more people each and every day, and is willing to go above and beyond to achieve member satisfaction.
*UPDATE: BetterHelp pledges commitment to Ripoff Report Corporate Advocacy, Business Remediation & Customer Satisfaction Program. A program that benefits consumers, ensuring complete satisfaction, confidence when doing business with a member business. BetterHelp recognized by Ripoff Report Verified™ as a safe business service.

REBUTTAL BOX™ | Respond to this Report! | Consumer Comment

Corporate Advocacy Program

Set the record straight:
Arbitration Program

. [continued below]....
....Ripoff Report Verified™ REVIEW

EDitor's UPDATE: Positive rating and recognition has been given to BetterHelp for its full commitment to quality customer service.

Ripoff Report's discussions with BetterHelp have uncovered an ongoing dedication by the company to total client satisfaction. This means that clients can expect that the company will work towards finding a mutually satisfactory resolution to any concerns. BetterHelp listens carefully to client concerns and sees them as an opportunity to learn from past mistakes and become more efficient as a company in the services offered and the support for those services.

BetterHelp’s founder feels it is critical to listen to members and respond in a friendly, cooperative manner that creates a positive experience for all members. By putting members first, BetterHelp aims to expand further, and to help more and more people receive quality mental health care in an innovative, affordable way.

One of the things Ripoff Report learned in the course of its review is that typical customer feedback for the service BetterHelp provides is quite outstanding, as there are thousands of reviews listed for their here. Feel free to check out these stellar reviews here!

Overall, BetterHelp has demonstrated that they communicate all aspects of the service in a timely, helpful, and cheerful manner. They are serious about aiding in the success of BetterHelp members, whom they truly do care about.

The information provided in this report below is based on comments made by Bonnie Cardillo & Alon Matas during an onsite inspection held by a third party verification company with no biases towards BetterHelp.

29 Prime Inc is Ripoff Report Verified

BetterHelp is an online platform that provides counseling. The counseling can be utilized via text, phone, or over video. Alon Matas stated the following about his company, "we connect people looking for mental health help with licensed therapists nationwide." He additionally stated the following about their business model, "the consumer would pay a monthly subscription fee for unlimited access to their therapist. We don’t charge per visit because we want people to use it whenever they want how much they want, so it’s all inclusive unlimited counseling for a flat monthly fee."

Leads for BetterHelp are primarily obtained through people who visit their website or download their mobile app. When a potential customer expresses interest in their product they will download the mobile app where they answer an assessment to get matched to a counselor. Mr. Matas further explained the process, "based off of that we will match them with a therapist, they will put in their payment information and we will start a monthly subscription fee that will allow them to have unlimited access to their counselor. If they are not happy with their counselor they can switch to another counselor, we have over 2,000 counselors in the platform so they have a lot of choices if the first match is not good. In some cases, most in the past we may offer a free trial period where you will not be charged for the beginning of the service and you can cancel at the click of a button. There are no hoops to jump through."

CUSTOMER CARE & COMPLAINT RESOLUTION – BETTERHELP

During the on-site interview, Mr. Matas was asked to describe a situation where a client was not satisfied with the level of service they received. Mr. Matas expressed that their most common complaint arises when the customer is not happy with the counselor they've been assigned. When a situation like this arises BetterHelp will remedy it by setting them up with a different counselor. He further stated, "we can also extend your current subscription or provide a refund if you feel you didn’t get the right service for you. But obviously, you can switch to a different counselor through the platform. If we get repeated complaints about a counselor we will look at it and in some cases, remove the counselor from the platform. Some of the other complaints may be about charging, people who think they have been overcharged, charged by mistake, or do not understand the nature of the subscription. Just forgot they are subscribed and didn’t use it much, in that case typically almost in all cases we will refund or resolve it. Our model is make everybody happy, that goes for counseling to customer service. In all cases, we are able to resolve it to the customer's satisfaction."

When asked to comment on complaints posted on Ripoff Report's website Bonnie Cardillo stated the following, "from a member of BetterHelp who looks like as Alon said may have had frustration with weekly subscription price and wanted to inquire about getting a refund and it looks like they posted about their frustration on Ripoff Report. And then subsequently updated their report saying that they had reached out to BetterHelp and our support team here and that we had processed them a refund and had given them a refund and had given their money back...it looks like this member is now satisfied with their experience and found a good resolution by contacting us directly which is the most appropriate way for us to help someone. Is to contact our support team directly." In order to further assure future and current clients, BetterHelp has an A- rating with the BBB. They have over 11,000 reviews on their website of satisfied customers, and they are partners with the Mental Health Institute.

When asked what type of changes they have made to honor their commitment to making things right with the consumer per the request of Ripoff Report, Mr. Matas stated, "now we have five people dedicated just to customer support and responding to customer inquiries. We set a policy over time...every ticket every inquiry has to be responded to the same day by 5 pm EST or the next business day if it is received after 5 pm EST. We also have a 24/7 phone service that can get phone inquiries and then pass them on to us, it’s not people that sit here in the office because we aren’t able to work 24/7 with the setup we have now. But they are able to take this complaint and pass it on to us if it's urgent then we can handle it immediately if not it goes to the general queue and again the same thing will apply and we will take care of it same day till 5 pm EST or next day if it’s after that or weekend."

BetterHelp is proud to be a part of Ripoff Reports Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation and Customer Satisfaction Program, "we are happy to improve ourselves based off of complaints and customer feedback, most of the feedback we get is through our customer support. People are anxious and therapy is a tough process as it is, it has a lot of stress around it as it is which is very natural. And they go to Ripoff Report and other sites and we try to help in any channel we get feedback. We had 1.9 million people signed up to BetterHelp. Today is a special day, we crossed 10 million sessions on the platform. So, having 1.9 Million people signed up and 10 million sessions and having 8 or 9 reports in the last year, every report is bad but it is a proportion that we have to live with and if we can improve that with the advocacy program or any other program we will do so."

BETTERHELP – STATEMENT FROM THE FOUNDER

" At BetterHelp, we believe that human-to-human help cannot - and should not - be replaced by automated technology. Instead, we are leveraging innovative technologies to adapt traditional counseling into the lifestyle and expectations of today's consumers. Our members receive professional counseling using their computer, tablet or mobile phone - anytime they need and anywhere they are. So far, we've been fortunate enough to touch the lives of thousands of members through more than ten million sessions.

BetterHelp's team has expressed that they feel privileged to be able to work at the largest online counseling platform worldwide, and they're constantly motivated by the phenomenal feedback received every day from members. These truly inspiring stories drive their passion and reinforce the team's commitment to keep making BetterHelp better, and this is why BetterHelp truly values any opportunity to make a member's experience better. BetterHelp takes employee satisfaction seriously as well. Employee feedback and surveys reveal comments such as this, "BetterHelp provides a very positive environment to work. Opportunities for suggestions and improvements are definitely encouraged, and are seen as fundamental to continued growth. The company's management team is truly concerned about our contribution to the company and providing growth opportunities for us. They take the time to listen and communicate with employees and customers directly, and are fully committed to creating an excellent experience for all BetterHelp's members, counselors (independent contractors), and employees."

Ripoff Report was pleased to learn that BetterHelp's past and current approach to business is focused on its pledge to total commitment towards client and employee satisfaction.

STATED IMPROVEMENTS FROM BETTERHELP

BetterHelp recognizes that complaints posted on Ripoff Report (whether true or not) are issues that need to be addressed, not ignored. If handled correctly, complaints can be valuable learning opportunities. With the feedback generated by Ripoff Report's review, BetterHelp has made organizational changes allowing its clients and employees a more streamlined approach to problem resolution and a commitment to a great client experience.

In summary, after our review, which included discussions with the founder, Ripoff Report is convinced that BetterHelp is committed to quality delivery of services resulting in total client satisfaction.

How does a business get Ripoff Report Verified™

The member business allows Ripoff report to email everyone from the past. Those who respond to Ripoff report with a valid complaint must be take care of. They have made a commitment that if anyone contacts Ripoff Report in the future, they will make things right within 14 days. The member business must err on the side of their customers. Otherwise the member business is off the program.

Ripoff Report has determined that BetterHelp meets Ripoff Report Verified™ standards which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. Members of the Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation and Customer Satisfaction program do pay a fee for our on-site review, 24-hour monitoring and for support with customers to resolve any disagreements.

Ripoff Report sends a 3rd party service to do an onsite inspection of the new member business. The on-site inspection / review does not mean that the products or services offered by the business have been evaluated or endorsed by Ripoff Report, and has not made a determination as to the business' product quality or competency in performing services. We can verify, that Ripoff Report went to the business, verified their business or “work from home business”, there for, if a customer in the future does not get treated correctly, Ripoff Report can get the problem resolved. If not, and the customers is right, the member business will be taken off the Corporate Advocacy Program. Remember, Ripoff Report emailed every customer from the past that filed a complaint to make sure the member business made things right with customers from the past. Again, to err on the side of their customer, those from the past and those in the future.

Read about Ripoff Report Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation & Customer Satisfaction Program, a program that benefits the consumer, assures them of complete satisfaction and confidence when doing business with a member business. This program works.

NOW TO THE ORIGINAL REPORT THAT WAS FILED

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betterhelp Wyoming

I signed up with this company a few months ago.  I have been reading the reviews that state that people have been communicating with their counselor on a daily basis.   At times, it was 3 or 4 days before my counselor would answer my email/question.  Then on 4/10/15, I sent her an email asking a specific question.  On 4/11/15 I see there is an email from her and I opened it.  Imagine my surprise when in the email my counselor is berating me and better yet, berating me for something I DIDN'T do.  I sent her an email through yahoo (long story short - we exchanged yahoo email addresses because she was sending me pdfs and it was easier for me to get them through yahoo), it got sent to her 6 times.

In her email, she never once asked me if I knew what happened (why she received the email 6 times).  She never investigated/researched the problem herself before sending me the scathing email she did.  She just ACCUSED me of "going too far" and "infringing on her boundaries".  I couldn't believe it!  A COUNSELOR who is suppose to be there to HELP me, and she is acting this way!  Multiple emails being sent from yahoo is a known issue!  All you have to do is Google it and find out for yourself.  Even if she didn't Google it, she never once in the email asked me if I knew what had happened.

I replied to her email and sent proof that this is a Yahoo issue.  I told her that she is playing with people’s emotional and mental health and that it's not a game.  Things she says and does could possibly push people with fragile egos/psyches over the edge.  I had never once infringed on her time or her boundaries. Even if someone did send her multiple emails, shouldn't that tell her - a TRAINED counselor that perhaps someone desperately needed her help/advice?

Her email also stated that she works two jobs and she doesn't have the time for this.  OK, IF YOU CAN'T DO TWO JOBS - YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TWO JOBS, and especially NOT a job that deals with people’s mental and emotional well-being.  I believe the real issue is that she took this job at Betterhelp for quick money (as a part time second job) and because I wasn't a "one email" quick fix, and she actually had to invest some time in me that she was irritated that I was taking up too much of her time.

An email every 3 or 4 days is NOT taking up too much of her time. If she didn’t have time for me, or if my case was too challenging then she owed it to me to tell me so I could have asked to be placed with another counselor. I don’t know how Betterhelp screens the counselors before they hire them, but from my experience (have email to back this up), this person is NOT counselor material.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on BetterHelp.com Verified TRUSTED Business | Ripoff Report Verified™ …businesses you can trust. BetterHelp is the largest online counseling platform worldwide. BetterHelp changes the way people get help when facing life's challenges by providing convenient, discreet and affordable access to a licensed therapist. BetterHelp completely understands that counseling process can elicit feelings of vulnerability, anxiety, relief, joy, etc., and BetterHelp wants to be there to support members.

BetterHelp Support Team - We're happy to help!

AUTHOR: BetterHelp Support Team - (USA)

Hi there, I'm truly so sorry that you had such an experience while using BetterHelp. Our team at BetterHelp wanted to post here and let you know that we're more than happy to resolve any outstanding concerns in relation to this post, please reach out to our support team via email at contact@betterhelp.com so we can help you personally with this concern. We send our best wishes and hope to hear from you.

#2 General Comment

sad to hear your experience

AUTHOR: paws4 - (USA)

I know everyone is different and some might look at this online counseling jobs as a great part time job and not take it seriously.  I hope that those are few and far between. I know that some people have written on here that they do not beleive there are real counselors with real educations behind them. Please do not feel discouraged, because I can at least verify one. My husband is and has just started up taking clients. He is very active and keeps his email alerts through text messages for when he gets notification of an email or new client possible that he has been matched with. He is very serious with his counseling and has had years behind him. He does not believe in keeping people "on the hook" by making them come back for months and months and months, the goal has forever been his as get them back to healthy and happy and solid. So, as I can not speak for all those that are on the sight, I hope that I was a little help and there are some solid counselors there really looking to help.

Take care.