Complaint Review:

• Updated: Thu, December 08, 2016

• Reported By: Patrick — Saint Louis Missouri USA
Bill Streeter
3407 S Jefferson Ave Saint Louis, Missouri USA

Bill Streeter Hydraulic Pictures Screwed me made a deal and watched me work 6 months then said the agreement wasn't real Saint Louis Missouri

*Author of original report: Hours Logged

*Author of original report: Verbal Agreements

*Author of original report: Reliance Damages

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Doesn't make any sense

*Author of original report: Photos and FInal Cut

*Author of original report: Photos

*Author of original report: Photos

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Photos used on this report are not authorized

*Author of original report: And Furthermore

*Author of original report: Bill Streeter's Reply contains FALSE information

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: This is very sad

Bill Streeter and I made an agreement to produce a documentary film on an event that he hosts. The agreement was for him to handle his event and for me to make the film and we would split the profits 50 50 after I am paid a reasonable amount for my time. The permission to make a film about his event is in a written message, but the terms of our agreement were verbal. I went to work and provided 6 and a half months of fronted labor and equipment costs in collaboration with Bill Streeter, who is IN the movie for 3 formal interviews and throughout the day of the event. Then, after the film is 95% finished with production and editing, he tells me that he is "rescinding" my right to use his footage and likeness and then proceeds to mock me for not getting written releases up front and goes on to say that our agreement was verbal so he didn't consider it a "real agreement" even though he collaborated with me and watched me work mostly full time for 6 and a half months. [continued below]....

..... He also threatens in a written email to "see me in court" if I release the film and to talk to all the musicians in the film, and there are like a lot, and tell them all that I don't have permission to use their footage and tell them not to sign releases with me. I tried offering him a settlement for my time and he refuses to even say anything that isn't completely rude. His last response to me was that he "almost forgot about me" 5 months after he had threatened all these things and "rescinded" the rights that I acted in Reasonable Reliance on with his full cooperation for 6 and a half months.

I complained to the BBB and he responded claiming that the matter does not have anything to do with Hydraulic Pictures so they closed it but I have proof that it does. The only thing Bill did for the film besides offer me advice on who to interview and tell me that he liked the cuts I sent him, was the graphics for the trailer, which he asked me if he could do. He sent me back the trailer and added an extra frame in it that was not there, but he also attached his company name "Hydraulic Pictures" to the the trailer and I can provide proof to anyone that requires it. Also, on the day of the event and the day of the release party where I was filming both days, I was using equipment owned by Hydraulic Studios and I have pictures of both events and me using the equipment. If anyone intends on doing business with Bill Streeter or Hydraulic Pictures, I would suggest bringing an audio recorder and getting everything in writing up front. I have a year of conversation between the two of us that proves everything. He is refusing to resolve the situation with me and even blames me but I never breached our original agreement and I made an amazing film that is nearly complete and that I can never release to recover any of my equipment and labor costs because he threatened to sue me if I released it. I made 100% of the film by myself and this guy telling me the agreement he collaborated with me on for 6 and a half months tells me that he never intended to honor that agreement in the first place.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/08/2016 05:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/bill-streeter/saint-louis-missouri-63118/bill-streeter-hydraulic-pictures-screwed-me-made-a-deal-and-watched-me-work-6-months-the-1342162. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Bill Streeter

Hours Logged

AUTHOR: - ()

Look at all the work that I put into this to make a nearly finished feature film. No issues were addressed with me and no rights were "rescinded" until the first part of June. I was finished with the Rough cut by May 18th and he had already said he liked it.

Verbal Agreements

AUTHOR: - ()

If you look up Cotner Productions, Inc. v. Snadon (“Cotner”), you'll find that a verbal agreement is enforceable in the state of Missouri even if terms were not discussed as in that case.

Reliance Damages

AUTHOR: - ()

I don't claim anything. I had final cut according to copyright law because I am the content creator for "LoFi Cherokee: The Movie". It appears Bill Streeter waited until the work was complete to try and gain control. He never had a conflict while I was making the film except for that one time when I told him he needed to tell me then if he wanted me to walk away. By the time the argument took place the final cut had been complete and he had already said he liked it in a written message.

Therefore, I sent Mr Streeter an invoice for the full amount of labor, for the Pre-Production, Production, Directing and Editing labor that I fronted for the project because of his breach of our agreement when he "rescinded" my rights after the work was complete and after he told me that he never considered our agreement a "real agreement". The only agreement in question is the right to use the footage. That is the promise that I acted in Reasonable Reliance on and that is what I sent the invoice for the full damages on.

I should add that the rates I used in the invoice, which included a detailed breakdown that I can verify with digital time stamps, were pulled DIRECTLY FROM HYDRAULIC STUDIOS WEBSITE. They were his rates. We were equal partners financially in the project after I was su[pposd to be paid a reasonable amount for the work I did. The labor I performed was NEVER INTENDED TO BE FREE and my compensation for that labor and equipment expenses is Reliant on the agreement that Bill Streeter "rescinded".

If Bill Streeter wants me to leave him alone then he needs to pay me for the damages he cost.

I'd like to note against that Bill Streeter Has still not responded to the FACT that he said he didn't consider our agreement a real agreement after he had watched me work and collaborated with me for 6 and a half months based on that REAL AGREEMENT.

I am STILL waiting on an attorney to contact me. If he wanted me to stop posting truthful statements about him, he should have his attorney contact me as I requested in writing numerous times.

#4 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Doesn't make any sense

AUTHOR: billstreeter - (USA)

I think a reasonable person can see what is going on here.

I just want to make a couple of final points on this and I'm done responding to this.

I don't understand how a person can claim to have complete creative control over a project and then demand compesation for his own project.

I hope anyone who happens to read this understands is that what Patrick wants is for me to pay him $51,000.00

And all I want is for him to leave me alone.

You be the judge on who is the reasonable party here.

Photos and FInal Cut

AUTHOR: - ()

Here are photos that were all taken from Cameras that were being used by my wife. One was owned by Hydraulic Pictures. The other camera was owned by me. There are literally thousands of pictures I could post if I sat through the 16 hour day.

Now in regards to Bill Streeter's misunderstanding of Copyright Law. First, as I mentioned, there was NEVER discussion of who had final cut. Our agreement was that I make the movie and he does the event and we keep them separate and we split the profits 50 50 after I am paid a reasonable amount for the Professional Services I provided to complete the film.

Secondly, as Mr Streeter fails to understand is that without an Agreement outlining or proving otherwise, Final Cut belongs to the CONTENT CREATOR.

A professional dealing with Copyrighted Material should know that.

Photos

AUTHOR: - ()

I have asked Rip Off Report to take down the photo that I was asked to take down by the owner. I have plenty of others. My wife was working full-time day of the event filming and taking pictures. I will go through the enormous amount of evidence and footage I have and find some more that I own the rights to.

Photos

AUTHOR: - ()

If the owner of these photos contacts me to take them down, I will comply. The owner has not asked me to take them down. Bill Streeter does not own these images and they are an integral part of this case, proving that I was filming Bill Streeter at his Event and proving I was using equipment owned by Hydraulic Studios.

You'll also notice that he has not responded to anything else, most notably how he told me an agreement he worked with me on for 6 and a half months was not real after I completed the work. Now he is trying to defame my character and scare me with copyright's that don't even belong to him.

#8 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Photos used on this report are not authorized

AUTHOR: billstreeter - (USA)

I should also point out that the photos used with Patrick's original report here are not authorized for use here. The are the intelectual property of other people and he doesn't have the rights to publish them anywhere.

And Furthermore

AUTHOR: - ()

The statement that Bill Streeter made about doing a background check on me is purely written to attempt to defame my character because I am writing truthful statements online about him. My background or reputation never once came into question and I never did one single thing to warrant that response. I have no shame, though, so I have no problem posting my background. A decade ago I got clean from having a 3-year drug addiction problem. I pulled myself out of the gutter, put myself through college, graduated and made my first feature length film, America's Blues, which went on to win 5 festival awards, was nominated for an African Moie Academy Award, picked up Broadcast distribution in 3 territories so far and is being taught in over 20 Universities. I never told Mr Streeter anything about this and there is absolutely no information about it anywhere online so I am not sure how my "background" should ever have been mentioned in an online posting that has absolutely nothing to do with it. But I have no problem with people knowing that I am was able to overcome severe drug addiction. My 2nd film in production (that was halted to work on this film) is about alcohol abuse.

I'd also like to mention that the argument that he "rescinded" my rights off of had nothing to do with the actual movie. It was the color of the trailer that he was not supposed to color correct. He told me in a written email that he was "partially color blind" so I would never have agreed to let him color correct. But regardless, that was the trailer and he never gave me any notes about the film at all other than telling me what one person told him that that person claimed they only said part of.

Here are the REAL facts of the case that actually matter. Whether I approached him or not is irrelevant to the agreement that was acted in reliance on.

Bill Streeter cannot deny that we made an agreement.

Bill Streeter cannot deny that I acted in Reliance of that agreement.

Bill Streeter cannot deny that my Compensation for the work I did was ultimately reliant on our agreement

Bill Streeter cannot deny that he "rescinded" the agreement AFTER the majority of work was done.

And Bill Streeter cannot deny that he said our agreement was "verbal and somewhat nebulous so he doesn't consider it a 'real agreement'"

Anyone that would say there was no real agreement after the work is complete cannot be trusted, especially when that person collaborated with me the entire time.

Bill Streeter's Reply contains FALSE information

AUTHOR: - ()

Mr Streeter wrote a False Statement in his rebuttal stating that he had final cut approval. That was never a part of our agreement and I have NUMEROUS written quotes from him that verify he "didn't want to co-direct this thing with you" and "I'm not trying to make the film for you" and "like I said, I'm not trying to make the film for you." Never once was final cut even discussed other than that he was to do his event and I was to make the film, and he even CONFIRMED that final cut was not discussed in another written email.

At this point, anything that he says is simply trying to cover up the fact that he unethically rescinded rights that I Acted in Reasonable Reliance on when I changed my position to front 6 and a half months of labor and equipment expenses. He was even told IN WRITING when the film was 18 minutes finished when I felt that he was being too pushy, that I do things my way and if he wanted me to walk away he needed to tell me right then. He told me "You are doing a great job with this I am very happy with your progress so far". He NEVER ONCE tried to resolve this with me.

He only made legal threats if I released the film and also made threats to speak to all the musicians in the film and tell them not to sign releases with me. I responded to him numerous times over 5 months and he basically laughs in my face. Action IS being taken against Mr Streeter and against Hydraulic Pictures. I don't care what he does for other people, he did a terrible and unethical thing to me and it cost me and my family dearly. I have asked Mr Streeter to have an attorney contact me numerous times and he refuses to deal with me or this situation at all so my only choice is to take action.

I'd also like to add that he DID say in numerous emails that we had no agreement and that he did not consider our agreement a "real agreement". He can not get on here and deny that he said that. And if he is admitting that we had an agreement, how can he say that he is not responsible for the labor that his breach of our agreement cost me? You can't wait until the work is nearly finished to try and back out on an agreement. But I do appreciate him finally admitting we had an agreement in his online rebuttal. An Agreement that it is very clear I acted, with his full cooperation, in Reasonable Reliance on.

#11 REBUTTAL Individual responds

This is very sad

AUTHOR: Bill Streeter - (USA)

Patrick has some of his facts straight. But the only facts that matter are that he approached me to make a film about me and my event. I thought it could be cool. I made the mistake of not getting any refferences or do any background on him before I agreed. We did have a verbal agreement (I have never denied that) however we disagree on exactly what it was. He claims that we were equal partners on the project when it suits him and other times he tries to claim that I should have no input into the film. But basically what happened is that he threw a bit of a fit when he got some very reasonable feedback that he didn't like on a cut of the film--even though part of our verbal agreement was that I would get final-cut approval on the film. He may deny this, but that's the way I remember our agreement. And if you think about it, as a filmmaker myself, why would I not want to have the right to review a film that is being made about me and my event by someone who was basically a perfect stranger before he approached me about it?

It boils down to this: he wanted to make this film. He proceeded to make the film with NO written agreements, and NO releases. And when he got reasonable notes and feedback on the film he got mad and began to act very immaturely. I told him that he needed to appologize for this behavior and we could talk about finishing the film. He refused. I decided that dealing with him wasn't worth the trouble so I told him that he could no longer use my likeness or intellectual property for the project (the film was about me and my intellectual property).

I honestly don't understand why he thought that getting mad and fighting with someone who was the main character and owner of the subject of his film would gain him anything. I tried to reason with him and work it out but he refused. At some point you just can't waste a lot of time dealing with unreasonable people. So I just stopped.

Now he is harrassing me by trying to besmerch my reputation and my business reputation with things like this, as well as sending me bogus invoices for $51,000.00 for work I never asked him to do on a project that he initiated. He has also threatened to sue me but that has never transpired probably because I'm guessing that no lawyer would ever take his case.

Bottom line: I tried to work it out with him. But nothing short of letting him do whatever he wanted with the film would satisfy him. That wasn't our agreement, and I couldn't have the film go public with some of the problems I saw with it and I didn't really want someone with a grudge against me releasing and having final cut of a film that was, basically, about me.

I should also point out that I am a very public person in St. Louis and have a great reputation of being friendly and easy to work with. I work with a wide variety of people in all different professions in St. Louis and have mentored and taught a number of younger filmmakers and artists. My clients love me and the work I do for them. And I command a great respect among the many people (over 40 people in the last 5 years) who have crewed for me on the event that Patrick was trying to make a film about.

I should say that I don't think Patrick is a bad guy. He just doesn't seem to have a good grasp of how these things work. I'm sorry we couldn't work it out. I'm sorry he can't seem to get over this. But I don't know what else to do.