Complaint Review: Budget

• Budget

St. Louis, Missouri
    United States of America

Budget Bait and Switch St. Louis, Missouri

Booked car through Priceline.com...no problem there.  After paying for the mid-size car online, I found out the car was from Budget.  Standing in line at Budget to rent the car, I heard the customer at the counter in front of me say, "So you are out of mid-size cars?"  I got up to the counter and the clerk told me he was going to "upgrade" me to a full-size car.  I thought he was doing something nice for me.  (In fact, I told members of my family that I got a free upgrade, from mid-size to full-size, because they were out of mid-size cars).  He never told me he was charging me more money for it.

The day I returned the car, the guy out in the lot who checked me in handed me a receipt for $47.xx that had been added to my charge card.  I asked him what the charge was for and he told me it was for the upgrade.  When I went inside to inquire, I was told, "You signed for it."  Yes, I did sign for it, but the clerk who "upgraded" me on the day I rented the car NEVER told me I was going to be paying more money.  I was under the impression that since they were out of mid-size cars, I was simply being upgraded because there was nothing else to offer me.  I would never have agreed to an upgrade if I would have known I would be charged an additional almost $50 for a car.  I would have insisted on the mid-size car and likely would have ended up with a full-size anyway because of them being out of what I rented and paid for in the first place.

As I was storming out of the building after my inquiry, the female clerk said, "Have a nice day."  I told her to go to h*ll.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/19/2012 10:03 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/budget/st-louis-missouri-/budget-bait-and-switch-st-louis-missouri-984357. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content