RE: Internet fraud
1.I received an e mail from Buffalo City Cameras in East London promoting their special offer on a canon camera with 3 lenses and extras
2. I replied to them on the email after looking at their web page and checking out their guarantees and terms of payment etc.
3. I ordered the Canon Camera special 3 lens packager plus an extra lens total cost R11800.00 which included R300.00 delivery charge via courier from East London.
4. They sent me an invoice with details, inv no and bank account details Absa Bank , beneficiary Buffalo City Cameras , account noxxxxc and to use specific ref xxxx
5. I paid R11800.00 into this bank account on Thurs 17th Jan 13 via my internet banking account and expected delivery to my door, as per their web page info by Monday 21st jan
6. no delivery happened on Monday 21st jan so I e mailed them to ask them when
7. On tues 22nd Jan I received a telephone call followed by an e mail from a courier company Called Fastway saying that the goods were in customs in JHB airport and I had to pay another R3814.00 (customs duty,handling,import fees ) into a Capitec account Account name CUSTOM , account no xxxx , branch code xxx using another ref no xxx
8. I then started becoming suspicious and e mailed Buffalo City Cameras telling them that I had already paid delivery fee and any imports/customs payment they were responsible for , as they were the importer. I also said that I was led to believe stock was being despatched from East London and no where was I told it was being imported.
9. a few emails went back and forward between myself, Buffalo city Cameras and Fastway couriers.
10. 28.01.13 this morning I phoned Telkom for Buffalo City Cameras land line and phoned them on their land line 043 722 3216
11. The manager I spoke to , transferred my call to a lady called Lushaan who said it was a scam and that someone had hacked into their web site and then she said goodbye very quickly and did not give me a chance to say anything more.
12. I went to the local Absa bank to ask them if they could refund me from the so called Buffalo city account no , they said the money I had paid in , had been withdrawn immediately and they said it was not in the name of Buffalo City and that I should go to my Standard Bank Bayside branch from which I had paid.
13. Standard bank bayside investigated the matter ref no 516 08 541 . They came back to me last week to say that there were insufficient funds in that ABSA account and that the name of account was Miss xxx with a telephone number 0xxx and was not in the name of Buffalo city cameras . I was unhappy with this as the account at ABSA was definitely fraudulent and I have to get this money refunded to me. IN my opinion ABSA should refund the full amount of R11,800.00 into my standard bank account. Surely they have insurance against such frauds ?
14. I also went that same day 26.01.13 to report the fraud to SAP at Table View 021 521 3300 case number xxxx Detective xxx is the investigating officer.
15. in fact I am still receiving even today e mails from Buffalo City (same e mail address as the fraudulent e mail) .
I ahev also reposterd this issue to the South African Consumer Protection Association and have had no reply or assistance from them.
To date i have not had any luck in speaking to anyone at Buffalo City Cameras to ask them to refund my money in full. I am desperate to get all my money back and do not know how to go about this.Can anyone help or advise me?