Complaint Review: Camera Expo

• Reported By: Sterling Virginia
  • Camera Expo
    8135 Vineland Avenue
    Orlando, Florida

Camera Expo Deceptive selling practices and overpriced merchandise Orlando Florida

April 13, 2009

Camera Expo
8135 Vineland
Orlando, FL 32821

Attn: Store Manager

I was vacationing in Orlando last week and visited your store. I ultimately purchased the enclosed Sony Cybershot DSC-W220 and 2gb Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo on April 10, 2009 (along with a copy of the purchase receipt). I am returning it and initiating a dispute with American Express due to the dishonest sales tactics of your salesmen.

There were 2 guys working on me for the sale. The name on the receipt is John. They were trying to sell me the camera to me for $349.99 and a 1gb memory stick for $100.00, I was not at all interested in spending that amount. After lowering the cost of the camera to $269.99 and $100.00 for a 2gb Sony memory stick Pro Duo (notice he told me that I would be getting a 2gb memory stick for the price of a 1gb memory stick) I agreed to the purchase, again with the assurance that his price is the best price. The total I paid before tax was $369.99.

When I got home, I researched the cost of the camera and was astonished to find that the retail-selling price from Sony (sonystyle.com) directly was $179.99 and $24.99 for the 2gb memory stick ($204.98 total before tax). This means that at the very least I paid $165.01 MORE than the suggested retail-selling price.

From my research about your company, duping your customers seems to be a regular occurrence. I spoke with someone named Sammie on April 12, 2009 who assured me that he would speak to the manager today. I questioned his sincerity when he asked for my telephone number, but was trying to end the conversation without asking me my name or the date of purchase, etc.

Not only am I sure if I have received a new camera instead of a used or refurbished one, but your practices are dishonest. You should not be allowed to conduct business in this manner especially on behalf of a renowned manufacturer such as Sony. I hope that Sony will be aware of your practice and do something about it.

Carla
Sterling, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/12/2009 04:52 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/camera-expo/orlando-florida-32821/camera-expo-deceptive-selling-practices-and-overpriced-merchandise-orlando-florida-443052. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content