Complaint Review: CBS

• CBS
    345 Hudson St.
    New York, New York
    United States of America

CBS WCBS FM Contest winners are really not winners after grossly inflated tax payouts New York, New York

Winning a radio contest is certainly possible, as I found out... almost, anyway.
Yes, the call in number for the contest was busy each and every time I tried.  One day, I sat by the phone and kept hitting redial.  As I was about to hang up and try again, I heard an answer and a person stating that I was the big winner.

When I went in to pick up my prize, I was told that I would need to provide my social security number, as the total prize was worth over one thousand dollars and that I would have to pay the tax.  No problem, or so I thought.

One part of the prize was a video game valued at over $650, at least according to CBS.  That meant that I would owe about $175 in taxes.  I googled the prize I had won and found that the retail price was $98 at Kmart, or about $107 with sales tax included.

Would you rather buy an item for $107, or get it for free and pay $175 in taxes?

The other half of the prize were theatre tickets, also egregiously overpriced and equally taxable.

Consider yourself LUCKY that you LOST... err... I should say that you won the tax advantage!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/27/2011 07:58 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/cbs/new-york-new-york-/cbs-wcbs-fm-contest-winners-are-really-not-winners-after-grossly-inflated-tax-payouts-new-722962. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content