Complaint Review: Charter Communications

• Reported By: Steve — St Louis Missouri
  • Charter Communications

Nationwide
    USA

First, let me preface my experience with some background. I have been employed with Charter since 2008, after coming off of active duty service in the military. While I have come across many customers who have had legitimate issues, I believed, for the most part, that these issues were not deliberate but were genuine mistakes. I strove mightily to do everything within my power to resolve issues. I worked with, and for, people who (for the most part) genuinely cared about doing right by the customers. I progressed through the ranks and became a salary employee, in charge of field employees and charged with working directly with customers. I thoroughly enjoyed this. I defended Charter at nearly every turn. I realize, the company is not perfect (no company especially of this size is) but for the most part, I was suckered into believing that the company did care about the customer.

Last summer, I re-entered the National Guard and within a few months, I was ordered to active duty for a period of about 8 months. I just met with them today, in regards to preparing for my return next month. I was promptly informed that I was being re-assigned to an office a significant distance further away from my home then the office I previously worked at, and my work hours were adjusted to the late shift. In addition to this retaliation, the office I am assigned to now has a notoriously bad record at meeting performance goals. As a supervisor, I do not meet my performance goals unless the team meets theirs. Failure to do so results in termination after a 6 month improvement plan. So this is my reward for serving my unit...oh but wait, it is not over. I am due to have a child shortly after I return to work. Since I have been on leave, I have no protection under FMLA. I did not concern myself with this, as I had erroneously believed I worked for good people. I had sick time and some vacation time and I planned to take a week. While I can't be prevented from using sick time, I can have my vacation denied. And that is exactly what happened.

They toed a very fine legal line, and are only barely (and perhaps maybe not at all) on the legal side of it. As we know, employers can't retaliate against National Guard members for being called to active service. But, as I learned, they can treat you like a customer. I now know that the customers are not exaggerating, are not having a "one-off" experience. The upside, I can now say to a customer, I know how you feel. Charter has treated me like a customer. I know."

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/05/2014 07:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/charter-communications/nationwide/charter-communications-retaliation-against-national-guard-employee-nationwide-1128610. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

2Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Good points

AUTHOR: Steve - ()

Hi Robert,

Thank you for perspective. For some further background, the positions here are interviewed and advertised based on shift and location. While it may not meet the legal definition of retaliation, because it IS the same title, the district I work in ha NEVER moved a supervisor arbitrarily,  except for performance issues. That happened once, and the person was allowed to keep his shift, which is a shift that the company hadn't hired new people to for years (no weekends).

I am currently in the national guard, not formerly as an information piece.

Also, when I was informed of this move, it was definitely not communicated as a positive move. In one and the same breath as the move, I was informed that I would face termination if the team didn't meet goals. (I wish I could see your text as I answer this to make sure I cover everything).

Distance-i often start my day in the field, I live in the area that I used to manage, so I often had 0 commute time, my actual office was 15 minutes away. Now I am a minimum one hour travel to get to the office and work area, with the majority of work occurring further away and across state lines.

Now, I usually try not to be a whiny punk. The source of my anger and frustration is rooted in the tone and delivery of the message which is admittedly hard to replicate here. But maybe I am over reacting. I used to get treated quite well by the management I work for. Given that my direct supervisor didn't want to communicate these changes to me and was very uncomfortable in the meeting (even arguing details with his boss) further lends me to believe that this move wasn't based on what was best.

As to other supervisors, my spot was filled by a temporary supervisor. I was aware of this because I had a hand in the hiring. My manager had also said at one point that the position I was moving into was already filled by another supervisor.

Oh forgot something

AUTHOR: Steve - ()

I forgot to add, I've had one of the leadership at the national guard warn me as he knows two guardsmen who were fired from this company post performing  national guard duties. We all fall under the same regional director and human resources person.

So that is how you see it...

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

What a perfect excuse...you have already set yourself up for failure, and if you do fail it will be all THEIR fault...perfect.  And you were in the National Guard?

Seriously.  You were gone for 8 months from a Supervisor Position.  Did you expect for them to just keep that position open forever(okay for 8 months)?  No, they probably hired someone to take that position.  So now, you aren't out a job, you just have a new location.  But I guess to you it would be totally fair if they either fired or move that other person to this position.  I'm curious just how many miles is there in a significant distance.

As for this location having a bad record for meeting peformance goals.  You are a supervisor, and if you are a good one you could perhaps be the one to turn them around.  Perhaps you could take this as a compliment in them thinking you could.  But no..you have already set yourself up for failure...SAD..just SAD.