Complaint Review: Chase bank

USA
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

No Title Keeping funds that were my mother's who past away last month Lancaster OHIO

*Consumer Comment: Who Is The Beneficiary??

I need some help. Please. My mom, who lived with me, passed away last month. All of her assets were in her trust, which I am successor trustee. Chase had screwed up by not listing the trust when she opened an account last year. They ended up. Opening another account. The account with just her name has $540 dollars in it. Chase refuses to let me access it and has put a 99trillion dollar hold on the account:telling me I have to go to court. Which is ridiculous when all she personally owned Is this acct. Her will specifically states that all assets go to her trust. Id there anything I can do? I have access to her accts.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/26/2017 10:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/chase-bank/-/no-title-keeping-funds-that-were-my-mothers-who-past-away-last-month-lancaster-ohio-1388493. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Who Is The Beneficiary??

AUTHOR: Jim - (USA)

Often, small bank accounts do not need to be placed into a trust simply because the account holder (in this case your mom) can simply name you as the beneficiary of the account, and it would have the same effect as placing the account in the trust.  In fact, it's easier.  It sounds like mom either forgot to put you down as sole beneficiary of the account, or the bank screwed up big time and didn't put you down as sole beneficiary.

I would go to the attorney handling your mom's trust.  He can probably compose a legal letter indicating the intent was for mom to pass the assets in the account to you; for such a small amount, that letter should suffice, and it may not cost too much for such a document.  Before you do that though, I would go back to the bank and ask them specifically what document(s) they need to release the funds to you, other than seeing an attorney.  If it were thousands of dollars, it's probably a tedious process with the bank.  For $540...I suspect not so much.  Then take that information back to the attorney...and go from there.

Best of luck to you...